The Student Room Group

M2 Particles

see.png

Why is it if i took the direction circled in red, that i would get the question wrong?
Original post by Zenarthra

Why is it if i took the direction circled in red, that i would get the question wrong?

Because you did your final working incorrectly.

Since you've drawn vBv_B to the left, you require vA>vBv_A>-v_B for A,B to collide again.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Because you did your final working incorrectly.

Since you've drawn vBv_B to the left, you require vA>vBv_A>-v_B for A,B to collide again.

yeah but how would you know its the wrong direction?
is it only because they involved an inequality e>1/3?
yeah but how would you know its the wrong direction?
is it only because they involved an inequality e>1/3?

It's not the wrong direction. It's just that you've taken the velocity of B after the first collision to be positive towards the left,

For a third collision, A must travel faster than B towards the right. Hence the minus sign on B's velocity.
Reply 4
It's not the wrong direction. It's just that you've taken the velocity of B after the first collision to be positive towards the left,

For a third collision, A must travel faster than B towards the right. Hence the minus sign on B's velocity.

Ok i understand, but A's velocity doesnt really need to be greater than B's velocity, they could collide like this o> x <O where x is point of impact.
But i understand as the questions asks to show e> something therefore a velocity must be greater than another velocity.

Thanks, need help here please: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2690888
Ok i understand, but A's velocity doesnt really need to be greater than B's velocity

Yes, it does need to be.

they could collide like this o> x <O where x is point of impact.

Taking to the right as positive, then A's velocity is +ve, B's is -ve, and A's is therefore greater than B's.

Be careful of confusing velocity and speed.
Reply 6
Yes, it does need to be.

Taking to the right as positive, then A's velocity is +ve, B's is -ve, and A's is therefore greater than B's.

Be careful of confusing velocity and speed.

Oww yeah, thanks.
Erm... help here please :biggrin:: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2690888

Quick Reply

Latest