The Student Room Group

AS AQA Mathematics Statistics 1B MS1B June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by sr234
Im not too sure about linear scaling, always seem to get the qs on it wrong:redface:

Well if u can post a question i will take a look :-)
Reply 61
U just have to think about it logically. Lets say u have petrol costs and u have calculated the mean and standard deviation. If the petrol cost went up by 50p for each value then the mean would also add 50p to it. As all values have 50p added there is the same difference or standard deviation as before. Bad example but if u can find a question its better
Original post by sr234
Im not too sure about linear scaling, always seem to get the qs on it wrong:redface:

When the values have multiplied by a number. The standard deviation AND mean also multiply by that number.
When the values have been added it's only the mean you need to change. Because all the numbers have just been translated so the spread remains unchanged
Original post by sr234

If you look at question 1 (a)(ii) from June 2013 (it won't let me print screen it sorry)

The mean you would apply the full formula for
But the standard deviation would only need to times it by 5/9

Hope the helps
Original post by firsedge
If you look at question 1 (a)(ii) from June 2013 (it won't let me print screen it sorry)

The mean you would apply the full formula for
But the standard deviation would only need to times it by 5/9

Hope the helps

That's very helpful. I was wondering about that question! Thanks
And this was the question if anyone wants to have a look
Original post by winniestar57
That's very helpful. I was wondering about that question! Thanks

No problem - if you need any more help just let me know.
on probability questions when is it best to use a table?
Original post by junaid95
on probability questions when is it best to use a table?

Use the tables only when it is a binomial distribution question. And the question is to do with inequalities. If it is an equal to question your probably better to use the formula. Do you know the conditions for binomial distribution too?
The formula I'm on about us on page 11 of the formula booklet
Use the tables only when it is a binomial distribution question. And the question is to do with inequalities. If it is an equal to question your probably better to use the formula. Do you know the conditions for binomial distribution too?

sorry i worded that badly

when should we construct a table when answering a probability question, like what are the hints?
Reply 71

N and p needed
Reply 72
Well u can find it says to use a table but if not then u can tell by
Original post by junaid95
sorry i worded that badly

when should we construct a table when answering a probability question, like what are the hints?

For conditional probabilities! Often you will find a tree diagram is easier though? Normally I think they would ask you to construct a table or fill in the blanks.
good luck everyone!
Reply 75
How did everyone find it then? I thought it was very nice! Out of all the previous past papers that I had done this one has seemed the easiest.

The only thing I screwed up on was Probability "given that" question. As it said round to 3 decimal places but my answer was 0.000384....

I have all the answers I put in my calculator. So I may give a hand making an unofficial mark scheme.
Original post by aly369
How did everyone find it then? I thought it was very nice! Out of all the previous past papers that I had done this one has seemed the easiest.

The only thing I screwed up on was Probability "given that" question. As it said round to 3 decimal places but my answer was 0.000384....

I have all the answers I put in my calculator. So I may give a hand making an unofficial mark scheme.

Oh no I wrote 0.0038 and rounded up to 0.004 :frown::frown::frown:
I thought that it was extremely straightforward, other than the "read from table" answers I think I can remember all my answer if you remember the question
Original post by Fluffehadam
I thought that it was extremely straightforward, other than the "read from table" answers I think I can remember all my answer if you remember the question

Please publish then an unofficial mark scheme with what you have got:smile:
Reply 79
I'm quite pleased with that exam! The only calculations I'm slightly questioning are my binomial distribution ones if I used the right values from the table! I think that went pretty well though! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending