The Student Room Group

Applying to Vet School+Courses

Does anyone know of an alternate way to get into Veterinary without Chemistry at AS/ A level? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Lily17
Does anyone know of an alternate way to get into Veterinary without Chemistry at AS/ A level? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I have done RVC gateway , it's defiantly worth doing!

I did a year of AS then changed to BTEC animal management then the gateway and I will finally be on vet med in September!

I'm defiantly more prepared now though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by CharlotteNorman

I did a year of AS then changed to BTEC animal management then the gateway and I will finally be on vet med in September!

Thank you! That definitely sounds like a plan! Where did you do the Gateway year? And congratulations on getting there!!
Original post by Lily17

I would mentioned that there don't seem to be many places available for 'gateway' years and that not all unis offer this either and there are other requirements also. I would mention that you might also want to consider doing Chemistry at A2 (possible to do both AS & A2 if you're not doing any other subjects in one year) if you wish to keep your options open to the other unis. Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I would mentioned that there don't seem to be many places available for 'gateway' years and that not all unis offer this either and there are other requirements also. I would mention that you might also want to consider doing Chemistry at A2 (possible to do both AS & A2 if you're not doing any other subjects in one year) if you wish to keep your options open to the other unis. Good luck.

Thank you! Yeah, I was thinking that if I did not get into Uni the first time round, then I would try doing Chemistry in a year, but I did start doing it for AS, just found that I was weaker in my other subjects as I was having to give so much time to Chemistry as I find it so hard.

I did alright at GCSE, do you think this will count for anything?
Original post by Lily17
Thank you! Yeah, I was thinking that if I did not get into Uni the first time round, then I would try doing Chemistry in a year, but I did start doing it for AS, just found that I was weaker in my other subjects as I was having to give so much time to Chemistry as I find it so hard.

I did alright at GCSE, do you think this will count for anything?

Liverpool is the only one (?) who accepts AS Chemistry only whereas the others need A2 Chemistry for the normal 5 year programme. GCSE Chemistry isn't a replacement an A level I'm afraid
[QUOTE="Lily17;48305319"]
Original post by CharlotteNorman

Thank you! That definitely sounds like a plan! Where did you do the Gateway year? And congratulations on getting there!!

I did gateway at RVC and I didn't need AS chemistry to get an offer from Liverpool or RVC with the gateway year which was nice! (you an also apply to Bristol, Glasgow And Cambridge with gateway)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
[QUOTE="CharlotteNorman;48334482"]
Original post by Lily17

I did gateway at RVC and I didn't need AS chemistry to get an offer from Liverpool or RVC with the gateway year which was nice! (you an also apply to Bristol, Glasgow And Cambridge with gateway)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into it! I've got the Nottingham Open Day tomorrow, so hopefully that'll clear things up too. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending