The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine as a mature sturent

I am 25 years old post graduate with a degree in English Literature. I have always wanted to work and help animals, however I chose the wrong a levels at college which meant I couldn't study vet med at uni/ I also doubted my capabilities for this career due to how difficult it is. After graduating I took on a marketing job and realised how much I want to work with animals as a vet. I am now looking at sitting a Access to HE Science diploma and going back to uni to study vet med. Has anyone applied and been successful with vet med entry with this qualification? And I'm also wondering whether there are many mature students studying vet med? One thing that is making me apprehensive about committing to the course is the lack of funding and the age that i will graduate. Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated :smile:
I'm a mature student who did Access to HE Science and I'm now in my third year at Nottingham. I didn't have a degree prior though.

There's quite a few mature students - at 26 you wouldn't stick out too much! And don't worry about your age when graduating. There are quite a few on my course who started studying in their 30s-40s! You will be in the minority however. Some vet schools take on more graduates than other universities so you'll see more of an age range there, as well as unis which have foundation/prelim years.

Do you have any specific questions?

@Sasha087 has taken a similar route to yours and is starting vet school this September, she might like to weigh in. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by louisvbird
I'm a mature student who did Access to HE Science and I'm now in my third year at Nottingham. I didn't have a degree prior though.

There's quite a few mature students - at 26 you wouldn't stick out too much! And don't worry about your age when graduating. There are quite a few on my course who started studying in their 30s-40s! You will be in the minority however. Some vet schools take on more graduates than other universities so you'll see more of an age range there, as well as unis which have foundation/prelim years.

Do you have any specific questions?

@Sasha087 has taken a similar route to yours and is starting vet school this September, she might like to weigh in. :smile:

Firstly, thank you replying I hugely appreciate it and congratulations on studying vet med at Nottingham!

It’s comforting to hear that there are many older students as this is something that I was worrying about.

I actually have quite a few questions so I hope you don’t mind :smile:

- How did you find the Access Course? Did you manage to get a lot of distinctions? All the courses that I’m looking at require 30 distinctions in bio and chem so it’s going to be a lot but I don’t know how difficult the course will be - I am either going to do the Access to Medicine HE or Access to Veterinary Science HE
- How have you found the course so far? I feel like I’m already doubting my capabilities on whether I’d be able to learn and take in the course contents but I’m not sure if this is just a case of imposter syndrome
- Did you initially doubt you would be able to handle the course and workload?
- How much work experience did you for your UCAS application?
- What was the interview process like?

Sorry for the spam of questions! I’m just very torn as I will need to enrol to college in September and apply this year so it’s a big decision to make quite quickly - thank you, Bec :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Becbrown_
I am 25 years old post graduate with a degree in English Literature. I have always wanted to work and help animals, however I chose the wrong a levels at college which meant I couldn't study vet med at uni/ I also doubted my capabilities for this career due to how difficult it is. After graduating I took on a marketing job and realised how much I want to work with animals as a vet. I am now looking at sitting an Access to HE Science diploma and going back to uni to study vet med. Has anyone applied and been successful with vet med entry with this qualification? And I'm also wondering whether there are many mature students studying vet med? One thing that is making me apprehensive about committing to the course is the lack of funding and the age that i will graduate. Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Bristol has a lot of mature students and many that have done Access courses. This application cycle the course was used almost as a widening participation criteria by them so definitely not frowned upon.
I am 25 years old post graduate with a degree in English Literature. I have always wanted to work and help animals, however I chose the wrong a levels at college which meant I couldn't study vet med at uni/ I also doubted my capabilities for this career due to how difficult it is. After graduating I took on a marketing job and realised how much I want to work with animals as a vet. I am now looking at sitting a Access to HE Science diploma and going back to uni to study vet med. Has anyone applied and been successful with vet med entry with this qualification? And I'm also wondering whether there are many mature students studying vet med? One thing that is making me apprehensive about committing to the course is the lack of funding and the age that i will graduate. Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated :smile:

@Becbrown_
Hello! I've taught on an Access to HE program for about 10 years, the average age of my students is about 23 - 27, the oldest learners I've had have been in their late 50's. The biggest challenge most Access students have is confidence because they have 'dropped out' of education at some point, which completely mystifies me as often they are bringing up children which is a hundred times more complicated than anything we study. Universities love Access students because of the additional life experience. A large amount of Nursing admissions in the Manchester area for University are Access students.

As some general advice, focus on improving your study skills - further reading, referencing etc this will put you in good stead. You'll do great don't worry!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Firstly, thank you replying I hugely appreciate it and congratulations on studying vet med at Nottingham!

It’s comforting to hear that there are many older students as this is something that I was worrying about.

I actually have quite a few questions so I hope you don’t mind :smile:

- How did you find the Access Course? Did you manage to get a lot of distinctions? All the courses that I’m looking at require 30 distinctions in bio and chem so it’s going to be a lot but I don’t know how difficult the course will be - I am either going to do the Access to Medicine HE or Access to Veterinary Science HE
- How have you found the course so far? I feel like I’m already doubting my capabilities on whether I’d be able to learn and take in the course contents but I’m not sure if this is just a case of imposter syndrome
- Did you initially doubt you would be able to handle the course and workload?
- How much work experience did you for your UCAS application?
- What was the interview process like?

Sorry for the spam of questions! I’m just very torn as I will need to enrol to college in September and apply this year so it’s a big decision to make quite quickly - thank you, Bec :smile:

It's difficult - you study the equivalent of three A Levels in under a year. You don't have many exams to study for (so I found it 'easier' than A Levels), however you do have constant deadlines (like every other week) so you need to have good time management to ensure you keep up. This can be quite stressful! I ended up with 42 distinctions so it's definitely doable. I would double check that the vet schools accept Access to Medicine or Vet Science - when I applied 4 years ago they specified that it had to be Access to Science only.

I love Vet Med and I love Nottingham vet school. I can't see myself doing anything else. I think I struggled with imposter syndrome worse than others to begin with - because the Access course didn't have many exams and I started uni during COVID where we had open book exams. I was so so worried that when things returned to normal I wouldn't be able to pass a proper exam. However I've since sat closed book vet school exams and passed, so that just shows that Access does prepare you for vet school!

A full break-down of my work experience for my application is on my profile. I did 10+ weeks of regular placements, in addition two a long-term placement, and paid work at an emergency vet clinic during my gap year.

I never did any MMI interviews so I can't really say what they were like. The Notts one was a traditional panel interview, with practical elements and a group task later on in the day. They asked all the questions you'd expect from a regular interview, to get to know you and see if you fully understood the role of a vet.

For your next steps, I would really recommend doing some work experience at a vet clinic, just to ensure you understand what the role entails is as it can be very different to expectations. One of the biggest issues in vet med at the moment is retention. On average, new graduate vets are leaving the profession after six years. It's an incredibly stressful and underpaid job and many don't quite realise this when they apply. Veterinary medicine has the highest suicide rate of any other profession, so it's really important you research thoroughly what it involves when you apply!
Because of all this, the vet schools are increasingly less bothered about grades and more interested in how much work experience you've done and whether or not you appear to have a realistic view of the profession at interview.

I don't mean to put you off at all, just that you should be fully aware of what you're getting into. Despite all of these factors, it can be an absolutely wonderful profession where you can really make a difference. Let me know if you have any further questions, and good luck with your journey. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp
Bristol has a lot of mature students and many that have done Access courses. This application cycle the course was used almost as a widening participation criteria by them so definitely not frowned upon.

That’s great to hear, thank you😊
Reply 7
Original post by Arden University
@Becbrown_
Hello! I've taught on an Access to HE program for about 10 years, the average age of my students is about 23 - 27, the oldest learners I've had have been in their late 50's. The biggest challenge most Access students have is confidence because they have 'dropped out' of education at some point, which completely mystifies me as often they are bringing up children which is a hundred times more complicated than anything we study. Universities love Access students because of the additional life experience. A large amount of Nursing admissions in the Manchester area for University are Access students.

As some general advice, focus on improving your study skills - further reading, referencing etc this will put you in good stead. You'll do great don't worry!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

This is really helpful, I think my biggest challenge will be getting comfortable with science again as my a levels and degree are all humanities based. Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by louisvbird
It's difficult - you study the equivalent of three A Levels in under a year. You don't have many exams to study for (so I found it 'easier' than A Levels), however you do have constant deadlines (like every other week) so you need to have good time management to ensure you keep up. This can be quite stressful! I ended up with 42 distinctions so it's definitely doable. I would double check that the vet schools accept Access to Medicine or Vet Science - when I applied 4 years ago they specified that it had to be Access to Science only.

I love Vet Med and I love Nottingham vet school. I can't see myself doing anything else. I think I struggled with imposter syndrome worse than others to begin with - because the Access course didn't have many exams and I started uni during COVID where we had open book exams. I was so so worried that when things returned to normal I wouldn't be able to pass a proper exam. However I've since sat closed book vet school exams and passed, so that just shows that Access does prepare you for vet school!

A full break-down of my work experience for my application is on my profile. I did 10+ weeks of regular placements, in addition two a long-term placement, and paid work at an emergency vet clinic during my gap year.

I never did any MMI interviews so I can't really say what they were like. The Notts one was a traditional panel interview, with practical elements and a group task later on in the day. They asked all the questions you'd expect from a regular interview, to get to know you and see if you fully understood the role of a vet.

For your next steps, I would really recommend doing some work experience at a vet clinic, just to ensure you understand what the role entails is as it can be very different to expectations. One of the biggest issues in vet med at the moment is retention. On average, new graduate vets are leaving the profession after six years. It's an incredibly stressful and underpaid job and many don't quite realise this when they apply. Veterinary medicine has the highest suicide rate of any other profession, so it's really important you research thoroughly what it involves when you apply!
Because of all this, the vet schools are increasingly less bothered about grades and more interested in how much work experience you've done and whether or not you appear to have a realistic view of the profession at interview.

I don't mean to put you off at all, just that you should be fully aware of what you're getting into. Despite all of these factors, it can be an absolutely wonderful profession where you can really make a difference. Let me know if you have any further questions, and good luck with your journey. :smile:

42 distinctions is impressive! Did you find you struggled with the course material because you hadn't done it since school? I haven't done anything science related since GCSE's so I know I'm going to be quite rusty.

I can totally relate to imposter syndrome, it's great to see that you have got on well with the uni course material after doing the access course. Do you find you're still able to have a social life along studying the course?

I have some work experience coming up at a small animal practice soon and I am currently working in a dog boarding and grooming shop which I hope will contribute towards the non-clinical work experience hours.

Thank you so much :smile:
42 distinctions is impressive! Did you find you struggled with the course material because you hadn't done it since school? I haven't done anything science related since GCSE's so I know I'm going to be quite rusty.

I can totally relate to imposter syndrome, it's great to see that you have got on well with the uni course material after doing the access course. Do you find you're still able to have a social life along studying the course?

I have some work experience coming up at a small animal practice soon and I am currently working in a dog boarding and grooming shop which I hope will contribute towards the non-clinical work experience hours.

Thank you so much :smile:

A little. Chemistry especially can be really difficult. I find sciences very interesting though so that helped me.

My social life is alright, but you will have to sacrifice some parts of your life at vet school, even with impeccable time management. My advice to others is to highlight the things that are most important to you and dedicate your free time to those things. Vet school will take over your life if you don't prioritise these things. I manage to take every other weekend off entirely for social activities.

Get some farm work in if you can! It's a really important part of the vet's role in public health. Not to mention lambing is very fun!

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 10
I’ve just completed my access course and received all distinctions!
I got all my unis offers and have firmed Bristol to start in September.

I’m not quite classed as a mature student as I’ll be a few months off 21 when I start the course, but I won’t be the traditional straight out of school 18year old.
As someone who also did A levels before the access course I would definitely go the access route into veterinary, honestly it’s so much easier. The workload is very different but the content itself doesn’t get any harder than difficult gcse/low level A level. It is on paper the equivalent to 3 ALs in one year but it’s not even close to that and tbh that is a blessing. There’s also a wide variety of assessments which suit many different people and reflects more the style of teaching and assessing at universities.
I held down a full time job alongside the course and although at times it meant a few late nights, it was completely manageable to do.

For reference I received Bristol, Nottingham and Harper keele offers. I also received an interview for UCLan but it was my last choice and I had Bristol and HK by that point so couldn’t justify the cost of the journey so withdrew 😊
Reply 11
Original post by ALEreapp

I’m not quite classed as a mature student as I’ll be a few months off 21 when I start the course, but I won’t be the traditional straight out of school 18year old.
As someone who also did A levels before the access course I would definitely go the access route into veterinary, honestly it’s so much easier. The workload is very different but the content itself doesn’t get any harder than difficult gcse/low level A level. It is on paper the equivalent to 3 ALs in one year but it’s not even close to that and tbh that is a blessing. There’s also a wide variety of assessments which suit many different people and reflects more the style of teaching and assessing at universities.
I held down a full time job alongside the course and although at times it meant a few late nights, it was completely manageable to do.

For reference I received Bristol, Nottingham and Harper keele offers. I also received an interview for UCLan but it was my last choice and I had Bristol and HK by that point so couldn’t justify the cost of the journey so withdrew 😊

Congratulations on getting all distinctions and getting in to Bristol! What Access course did you do? That's reassuring to hear you had a full time job alongside it as wasn't sure how difficult it is. How did you find the course and the assessments?

That's great you got offers from two unis as I've heard its ridiculously competitive. What work experience did you complete before applying? And what was the application process like? I've heard the interviews can be pretty intense. Did you apply to RVC?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 12
Congratulations on getting all distinctions and getting in to Bristol! What Access course did you do? That's reassuring to hear you had a full time job alongside it as wasn't sure how difficult it is. How did you find the course and the assessments?

That's great you got offers from two unis as I've heard its ridiculously competitive. What work experience did you complete before applying? And what was the application process like? I've heard the interviews can be pretty intense. Did you apply to RVC?

I did the gateway access to science course so it has 12 credits in bio, Chem and physics plus 3 in statistics and 6 for a research project.

I really enjoyed the course tbh and the assessment styles, the range is massive from open and closed book exams to standard assignments and then posters and presentations.
I’m not the most creative person so found the posters really tedious (I would rather chow down on an essay tbh as sad as that sounds) but it was nice as it meant there was something to suit everyone. The exams both open and closed book were fairly decent and you get atleast one resit for every exam/assignment if you don’t meet all the criteria so that takes some pressure off. The environment created around the course was just one of support, the tutors really wanted the best for us and everyone was so supportive of eachother. I think that was the benefit of in person, we could aid eachother with parts of assignments and understanding the content better because unlike with exams and grade boundaries you aren’t compared and marked against eachother.

My work experience wasn’t anything overly special, I’d done 40hrs equine referral, 70hrs in a riding school/small farm place, I did do a research project in Mexico (however this couldn’t count towards actual WEX hrs but was a nice talking point) and then I’d done a few days in smallies first opinion.
The application process is brutal, I was a reapplicant and received two offers first time round so had an idea what I was doing second time round but it doesn’t prepare you mentally. Make sure you read the websites thoroughly for key words etc when filling out forms and read the extra forms carefully (Bristol love to catch people out with their SAQ as people answer what they think the question says not what it actually says). In a competitive field unis are looking for what you’ve done wrong not what you’ve done right. The interviews are intense and nerve wracking but again remember it’s not about being ‘right’ it’s about telling them your thought process. I would recommend thinking about more ‘common’ things asked about euthanasia etc (eg read the RCVS code of conduct) but I wouldn’t recommend learning any answers because it looks forced and unnatural. In interviews as a mature student I highly recommend you pull on life experience and use it to your advantage, I used my gap years to work full time and discussed how that has benefitted me massively in
maturing and learning money management etc.

The main thing generally with the process is that it is a waiting game, I was incredibly lucky this time round to get my top choice offer in 3 days so the pressure was off but the wait is the worst particularly if you see others around you getting offers.
Highly recommend applying to Bristol as they do like mature students particularly those with access qualifications due to the diversity and experiences it brings to their university.

I didn’t apply to RVC unfortunately no, I live just outside london so studying in London is very very unappealing to me. I also don’t want to be surrounded by just vet students. Of course this isn’t all RVC but RVC statistically takes a lot of international students (benefits their rankings etc) who due to international fees (40k a year) also tend to be very well off and I just don’t think I would fit in very well. It’s all very personal in terms of preference and what works best!
Reply 13
Original post by ALEreapp

Congratulations! Can I ask what GCSES you had when applying ?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 14
Original post by Vetmedchar
Congratulations! Can I ask what GCSES you had when applying ?

Thanks in advance!

Hiya my GCSEs were as follows;
English lit-8
English lang-9
Maths-7
Biology-7
Chem-9
Physics-6
Food and nutrition-9
Business-8
History-9
French-5

However the vast majority of the vet schools just want you to have the minimum requirements they don’t care about higher than that. The only one that does is Nottingham and that’s if that’s your only achieved qualification, they won’t look at predicted grades only achieved x

I am going to be 35 this year, going back to university to study vet med and by student standards, I feel geriatric. This will be my 2nd degree. I also did the HE Veterinary Science access course to fulfil the "recent education" requirement and to get myself back into study mode.
I got accepted into both Bristol and Surrey for the VetMed program. As an international student it's definitely daunting to think about how much in loans this will require, but I see it as an investment. Luckily I have a partner who will be working while I study and can be our bread winner to cover everyday costs.
Haven't read the responses but here's my input incase it's useful to anyone else.

30 y/o in my third year of vet science at Bristol uni

Average GCSEs, nothing above a B

I had 3-4 years experience when applying working at a farm and equine sanctuary

Did an online access course in Science

Applied to Nottingham and Bristol, offer for Bristol

No kids

Definitely check uni requirements before picking your access course as I didn't and a couple unis didn't accept it. Also check if there are GCSE requirements.

I get the max maintenance allowance and a bursary of 2k/year from Bristol uni, basically the money I get from maintenance loan without the bursary works out to about £800 p/m (if I divide it by 12), I work every other Sunday so get about £250-300 p/m from that.

Most lectures I can watch online, which I do, practicals are in person. Year 1-2 you have a weekly anatomy practical then random practicals dotted around. In year 3 I would probably say there's been about 20 practicals. You are meant to go in for seminars, coursework introductions etc but I don't, I haven't personally been pulled up on this but I wouldn't rely on it. The uni are actively trying to do better with timetables so that all in person teaching (minus practicals) are on one day of the week, but the in person requirements will definitely vary uni to uni.

First 2 years you're require to complete 12 weeks EMS/placements, so 6 weeks each year. You have 3 weeks (I think) off for Easter and summer usually start of June - start of September, so you can do Ems and still have a break. Third, fourth and fifth year though are way more full on. You don't get a summer break after 4th year you jump straight into 5th year where you're on constant 5-week rotation and EMS blocks, and pretty much my entire summer this year (3) will be doing EMS, they recommend 10-12 weeks EMS in third year :frown: also in 5th year, at least at Bristol, your rotation blocks will be mixed between the uni vets and random vets around the country, you get a preference list but ultimately its the unis choice where you go (not for Ems, just rotations).

The days for teaching are full but tbh if you're self motivated, in my opinion they're not that bad compared to a full time job. But theres a lot of coursework which is a pain. Also I would say 2 months before exams I have to study pretty much every evening except weekends to get through all the material, so be prepared for that, exams are hard.

Pay for new grads in small animals seems to be around 34k, so this is a long course and the money isn't amazing but I would do it all over again based on how it's been so far. I really enjoy it :smile: I also think the peace of mind of having a career where there's never a shortage of jobs and options is worth it.

There are mature students with kids who seem to manage well :smile: but I don't have much info on financial support offered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending