The Student Room Group

Kelvin Science prize 2015?

i have a few questions for anyone who entered this last year?
Reply 1
1. How did you find out about the competition?

2. Were you nominated by your school to take part?

3. Approximately how many entries were there from your school?

4. Did your school select their favourite 2 to send off, or did you enter independently from the school?

5. How long did it take you to write?

6. What is the prize?!

7. Approximately how many people enter each year?
I took part in Campion, not Kelvin, but my best friend entered Kelvin and I can answer most of your qs, since Campion and Kelvin are related. :smile:

Original post by GCSEmoron
1. How did you find out about the competition?

I'm not entirely sure. It may have been a website like Young Poet's Network that lists competitions, or it may just have been idle web searching.

2. Were you nominated by your school to take part?

No, because a) my school's not very big and b) my school had almost nothing to do with it. I got fifteen minutes of instruction on how to write an essay from an english teacher, and I asked them to sign my forms later, but that was all. I didn't really have time to source info from my teachers...

3. Approximately how many entries were there from your school?

There were two for Campion (me and my best friend) and either one or two for Kelvin.

4. Did your school select their favourite 2 to send off, or did you enter independently from the school?

I essentially entered independently, but I got my school to sign off on my forms. There were only two entrants so they didn't need to pick their favourites.

5. How long did it take you to write?

My best friend took a few weeks to write her Kelvin entry, meticulously researching everything.

As for Campion, our story is rather interesting. I'd glanced at the Campion site back in December but forgot about it. Then, one day I thought 'oh, I remember that english essay contest, I'll go check out the website' and found out the deadline was in TWO DAYS' TIME. So, naturally, I freaked out, and got all disappointed, thinking that there was my chance to enter, all gone. But then my suicide instincts kicked in and I decided to write the essay over the two days and send it off on special delivery to get there on time. I took out every poetry lit crit book my school library had, went on a seven hour writing spree to get it done, spent every moment not in lessons the next day checking and editing and referencing...and managed to get it there for the deadline. Also, halfway through me writing it, my best friend went 'bugger it' and started writing one as well, and also got it there in time :tongue:

6. What is the prize?!

First prize is £500. Second prize is £250. You then have four highly commended people, and then five or so commended people. I'm one of the commended people for Campion this year :biggrin: I won't be on the website or anything, but it's a nice validation.

7. Approximately how many people enter each year?

It varies. 200 entered Vellacott this year but that was a record high. Kelvin is more popular than Campion and Vellacott, so I would guess at least 150.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by paradoxicalme
I took part in Campion, not Kelvin, but my best friend entered Kelvin and I can answer most of your qs, since Campion and Kelvin are related. :smile:

thank you for this information, it was very kind of you to take the time!!!!!

And very well done for your commendation - do you get to go to the winners' lunch at cambridge?

i would imagine that you're gonna apply for cambridge now - english??? or history???
Original post by GCSEmoron
thank you for this information, it was very kind of you to take the time!!!!!

And very well done for your commendation - do you get to go to the winners' lunch at cambridge?

i would imagine that you're gonna apply for cambridge now - english??? or history???

Thank you :smile: I don't get to go to the winner's lunch, unfortunately - that's for highly commended people, not commended. But I hope it will still help with my application! I'm going to enter the Gould prize at Trinity College as well, so I have another shot :tongue:

I want to apply for English at Cambridge, yes. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest