The Student Room Group

WJEC BY4 | 13th June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I drew a bunch of lines kind of like the capillaries surrounding the nephron inn the next question and put big dots where they crossed. That was my desperate attempt to remember what one looked like lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jenigma
C and D for the chloroplast?
And 6, 5, then 4 carbon? What were your reasons?

And in the mitochondrion disorder part, what did you say for 'what does it mean if less oxygen is consumed with pyruvate than ..' whatever the other one was?
and for the 2 questions below that lol

I got C and D too! That electron micrograph was shockingly unclear though..
And I got 6, 5, 4. Said that oxaloacetate (4C) combined with the acetate of acetyl CoA (2C), therefore citrate had 6 carbons and lost a carbon at each decarboxylation.

Made up most of the end of the Krebs question..
Reply 62
The electron microscope SO unclear omg, I swear like B was almost pointing at the matrix, but then I'm not sure
Reply 63
For the last couple I was unsure I said that there was no co enzyme a for pyrubvate and for the alpha thing it didn't need it
I said there was no oxygen present for the kreb intermediate stacking up so etc can't occur
I talked bout anaerobic resp for the very last question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by charak05
I got C and D too! That electron micrograph was shockingly unclear though..
And I got 6, 5, 4. Said that oxaloacetate (4C) combined with the acetate of acetyl CoA (2C), therefore citrate had 6 carbons and lost a carbon at each decarboxylation.

Made up most of the end of the Krebs question..

Was c pointing at that big shaded lump of what I thought was a stack of chloroplasts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by juniorx
For the last couple I was unsure I said that there was no co enzyme a for pyrubvate and for the alpha thing it didn't need it
I said there was no oxygen present for the kreb intermediate stacking up so etc can't occur

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I spoke about anaerobic respiration for the last bit too, only bit of that question I'm pretty confident on. They always throw a weird apply-your-knowledge type question in though, and as long as you do the rest of the paper well, it shouldn't affect your grade too much so I'm not that bothered that I made a lot of it up haha
How did everyone find it? I thought it was average not really easy and not really hard. However, there were a LOT more suggest kind of questions!
Original post by juniorx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, no and yes lol
That's the 4th exam so far where I got A*/A on nearly all the past papers and came out of the real exam with huge doubts :/ worst part is most people thought it was a nice paper.

1st question is it ammonia or ammonium? I always had confusion with which one they wanted.

How to treat cerebral palsy - gene therapy? Seems more BY5 to me but it's all I could think of.

Nerve net - I drew lots of interlinked branches with gaps in and labelled the gaps as synapses.

Just how big are they on examples for the populations essay? As in did they want a specific type of bacteria, specific enzymes to synthesise in the lag phase etc. ?

Finally, would you say the product of the calvin cycle is Sucrose or Glucose? (both for the Rhizobium symbiosis question and the question about the calvin cycle). Or even something else?

Thanks.
Im SOOO ANNOYED at myself! for the photosynthesis one I put cyclic photphosphorylation and non-cyclic photophosphorylation and then in the last minute It didnt look right so I got rid of the word photo on both of them!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by juniorx
Was c pointing at that big shaded lump of what I thought was a stack of chloroplasts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The whole thing was a chloroplast, I think C was pointing at a stack of thylakoids.
Reply 71
Think question 1 was:
Ammonium
Azotobacter
Root nodules
Plant gets ammonium for protein synthesis, bacteria gets sugars to respire (??)
Circular ring of DNA outside of the nucleus.

Bacteria don't have a nucleus..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
The whole thing was a chloroplast, I think C was pointing at a stack of thylakoids.

Sorry I meant thylakoids yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 9967

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they don't haha, I meant like free in the cytoplasm
Reply 74
Original post by 9967

Posted from TSR Mobile

I described and mentioned it is found in prokaryotes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by jenigma
Yes, no and yes lol

What did you put?

Posted from TSR Mobile
predictions for grade boundaries anyone?
Original post by blobafet3
That's the 4th exam so far where I got A*/A on nearly all the past papers and came out of the real exam with huge doubts :/ worst part is most people thought it was a nice paper.

1st question is it ammonia or ammonium? I always had confusion with which one they wanted.

How to treat cerebral palsy - gene therapy? Seems more BY5 to me but it's all I could think of.

Nerve net - I drew lots of interlinked branches with gaps in and labelled the gaps as synapses.

Just how big are they on examples for the populations essay? As in did they want a specific type of bacteria, specific enzymes to synthesise in the lag phase etc. ?

Finally, would you say the product of the calvin cycle is Sucrose or Glucose? (both for the Rhizobium symbiosis question and the question about the calvin cycle). Or even something else?

Thanks.

I think it's ammonium ions for the first question and then I put excitatory drugs to treat cerebral palsy? Just though would increase action potentials but I may be wrong!
Original post by blobafet3

Thanks.

Ammonium ions and it was multiple sclerosis lol
Andd I put glucose?
Was A electrons?
Reply 79
Original post by tobyhillsummers
I think it's ammonium ions for the first question and then I put excitatory drugs to treat cerebral palsy? Just though would increase action potentials but I may be wrong!

I put excitatory drugs as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest