Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Woohoo a Biomed!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 81
accounting and finance next year dont understand a word on the leaflets they sent me :frown:
What don't you understand about them???
^Hey vicky. I would like to ask another question. :smile: Do Biomedics at Durham get a chance to study abroad e.g. in the USA? I'm considering of going to UCLA during my second year of uni.

Thanks for any info. :smile:

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing...Do you know anybody who's now doing the biomedical sciences course at stevo who got grades lower than ABB but still got in? Yes, I'm very very worried that I won't get the required grades for Durham. :frown: Thanks.
Reply 84
Hi i am gona b in queens next year studyin medicine, do they have an open day yet cas i havent recieved my letter yet.
Reply 85
I need 2 visit the uni as well, don’t fink there’s an open day only for pre-applicants in summer I think is the next one. But you can always pre-book a tour of the campus on Wednesday which I have done:smile: , jus need 2 sort out travel arrangements from kings cross.
groovyPARTYcle!
^Hey vicky. I would like to ask another question. :smile: Do Biomedics at Durham get a chance to study abroad e.g. in the USA? I'm considering of going to UCLA during my second year of uni.

Thanks for any info. :smile:

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing...Do you know anybody who's now doing the biomedical sciences course at stevo who got grades lower than ABB but still got in? Yes, I'm very very worried that I won't get the required grades for Durham. :frown: Thanks.

There isnt any specific links with abroad universities, but if you want to do a year abroad then you could do that in your third year, not second and arrange it yourself as a placement year.

Yes, my offer for Biomed was lower than that, then again, that was nearly three years ago and both the place and course have increased majorly in popularity since then. I would stop spending time worrying about how you arent going to make the grades and more time revising to make sure you make them to be honest. I cant understand how now at least a month before the exams you would think you are doomed to not making your grades.
Is that the course requirement now ABB?? Wow five years ago i got accepted with CCCC. Its amazing how things change!!
Reply 88
Hi im goin to queens campus next year to do medicine.
The website says that both johnsnow and stephensons only offer self-catered accomadation! So does this mean u cant go catered at queens campus ?
M4N1C
Hi im goin to queens campus next year to do medicine.
The website says that both johnsnow and stephensons only offer self-catered accomadation! So does this mean u cant go catered at queens campus ?

no, you can't

you do however get 2 meals a week included in your rent at both colleges.

for Stevenson its Monday and Wednesday IIRC and Snow its Tuesday and Thursday.

and the meals arnt that great, i barely bothered going. Personally i prefer cooking my own food or getting a takeaway anyway though
Reply 90
thanks;
Is self-catering a group effort or is it generally an individual thing at queens cas i havnt reli put much thought into self-catered as i fort it wud b catered!
Also that restraunt/cafe thing inside the holiday building, does it serve good food breakfast/lunch/dinner? cas i cant c myself cooking breakfast in the morn ?!?
M4N1C
thanks;
Is self-catering a group effort or is it generally an individual thing at queens cas i havnt reli put much thought into self-catered as i fort it wud b catered!
Also that restraunt/cafe thing inside the holiday building, does it serve good food breakfast/lunch/dinner? cas i cant c myself cooking breakfast in the morn ?!?

the waterside room (the cafe thing youve seen) does breakfast and lunch yes.

Also theres a cafe in the ebsworth building, which does drinks, and stuff like crisps, cakes and i think it does some sandwiches.

and if you really wanted to, you can pay about £5-6 to eat dinner on the other colleges nights. But as I said, the food isnt that great, edible, but not much else.

as for cooking, in our flat we usually cooked alone, apart from a few occasions. But normally ordered takeaways in groups to get the discounts, stockton has a million takeaways, who will fill your letter box with leaflets!
Reply 92
Rooftopcowboy: I've seen your posts stating you made a decision based on limited factors which lead your to study at durham. Out of curiosity, which other universities should you have picked to study business?
barton
Rooftopcowboy: I've seen your posts stating you made a decision based on limited factors which lead your to study at durham. Out of curiosity, which other universities should you have picked to study business?

Basically I decided I wanted to go to Manchester, having only been there for a quick walk round, on a boiling summers afternoon..and it all looked brilliant and amazing. So I applied for Management and also Business there, and gave little thought to other uni's.

I think everyone doesn't really look things in much detail when applying, at the time you don't really know what grades you will get etc etc in hindsight I'd look at things more closely, not be like "wow you get your own shower (press accept on ucas track)"

I then went on a horrific open day at manchester, where little attention was paid to the students/guests, the open day talk was given by a lecturer who had poor English, and they spent loads of time wittering on about Manchester merging with one of the other Poly uni's (cant remember which one) when people there on an open day didn't really need to care about how the admin department was moving buildings etc etc

and then I had 2nd thoughts about the city itself, im from a village that could be a town...that isn't like Manchester at all. I worried it would have overwhelmed me. Also the accommodation seemed ok, but nothing that made me think 'wow I must come here'

apart from that, Newcastle rejected me. Id definitely suggest you consider applying there, its probably my favourite city in the UK. Lots of things to do there.

I applied to Hull as its my local uni, and was great as an insurance. Hull is actually a good business school, with huge new facilities, it just lacks the prestige of the top uni's.

applied to Liverpool, but didn't bother going to the openday, as Durham impressed me too much.

so then I went to a Durham open day, where they were all very friendly and informative, a buffet was provided, students came round the tables to chat to everyone, the parents had their own campus tour etc etc. It was a very convincing open-day.

Also the campus is small and set in a business park, so is a lot quieter than what Manchester would have been, but it isn't in the middle of nowhere like say St Andrews. And all the accommodation is single and en suite.

I have whined about uni on TSR quite a bit, but to be honest, i have a lot of issues with being at uni, and would have probably had the same issues at any uni.

I've grown bored of 'learning' and don't like the student 'atmosphere' (that's the student atmosphere everywhere not just Durham) and have made 'friends' with people who ive come to realise arnt really like me, which is an interesting experience (meeting varied people) but its got to a stage where I rarely make an effort to talk to people at uni any more.

I spend a lot of time at home now, as I prefer it basically. So dont take some of my whining posts as gospel, is what im saying!! plenty of people have had an awesome time at Queens Campus, and wouldn't swap it for anything, whereas I feel I should have chosen more carefully.

so my advice would be, consider Newcastle if you haven't already...

visit uni's as much as you can, I think its a good idea to even visit at different times of the day, some uni's can look amazing during the day with everyone buzzing about, come night time it could be dead etc

also the Business course at Durham is heavily Finance and Economics based, so if you prefer management you may not enjoy it. There is a management module in year1, but it's quite easy in all honesty, you can tell it isn't the main focus of the course.
Wahay! I'm going to Queen's to study medicine too - John Snow College. And i am dreading having to cook for myself! lol! We're gonna suffer M4NIC - fast food all the way! Ahhh well, it'll be a laugh...

But yeah, i was just hoping to meet other John Snow Medics that are starting next year. I would ask for email-adresses and stuff, except i don't have a clue how to do personal messages or anything on this thing *scratches head whilst staring at multidues of odd looking symbols* :confused:

Oooo and one last thing - what is Stockton like as a place to live? I've been there twice to have a nosey and have got quite different impressions each time. Durham city looks pretty incredible as a place to relax and feel at home, so i was just wondering if Stockton was the same.

Cheers for that! Laters!

Tom
Mr. Blue Sky
Wahay! I'm going to Queen's to study medicine too - John Snow College. And i am dreading having to cook for myself! lol! We're gonna suffer M4NIC - fast food all the way! Ahhh well, it'll be a laugh...

But yeah, i was just hoping to meet other John Snow Medics that are starting next year. I would ask for email-adresses and stuff, except i don't have a clue how to do personal messages or anything on this thing *scratches head whilst staring at multidues of odd looking symbols* :confused:

Oooo and one last thing - what is Stockton like as a place to live? I've been there twice to have a nosey and have got quite different impressions each time. Durham city looks pretty incredible as a place to relax and feel at home, so i was just wondering if Stockton was the same.

Cheers for that! Laters!

Tom

I'm not going to lie and pretend, Stockton is a dog hole, its a former industrial town that's stuck in the 80s. Not like Durham at all.

but it is very cheap, has sufficient facilities, and cheap houses to rent, so its not all bad. And the council are spending a lot of money creating a "cultural quarter" which should be good when finished.

just felt id be doing you a disservice if I said it was like Durham, its perfectly ok to live there, but very few would live there through choice IMO.
In my opnion Stockton isnt all that bad. Its NOT like Durham thats for sure, but at home i come from a very nice town in Essex, about the same size as Stockton and the fact that Stockton isn't as nice really doesen't bother me. It has everything i need as a student including some good nights out and all the shops/amenities you would ever need...so personally I don't have a problem with it.
Thanks, i appreciate your honesty! Do you end up spending much time actually in Stockton? I mean, the actual campus is apparently a 15 min walk away, and i guess for nights out, shopping etc, there's Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Durham as well....

Also, and this one's for the medics out there, how much spare time do medicine students tend to get during the week? Enough time to go out into Stockton, or barely enough to cook a decent dinner?

Cheers guys, really helpful!

Tom
Mr. Blue Sky
Thanks, i appreciate your honesty! Do you end up spending much time actually in Stockton? I mean, the actual campus is apparently a 15 min walk away, and i guess for nights out, shopping etc, there's Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Durham as well....

Also, and this one's for the medics out there, how much spare time do medicine students tend to get during the week? Enough time to go out into Stockton, or barely enough to cook a decent dinner?

Cheers guys, really helpful!

Tom

most people tend to go out on a Monday night to Che Bar in Stockton, which has a strict student only policy on a Monday (they always ask for NUS) which is a good night. But most of the bigger nights out are in Middlesbrough.

people dont really seem to go out in Durham on a weekly basis, but there is Planet Of Sound on a friday, which has a 2am bus back to Stockton. Apart from that you have to sleep on a friends floor in Durham. There are around 2 buses an hour between the campuses though, which takes 40mins, and is free, so you can go to Durham a lot if you wanted to.

Newcastle is a non-starter for a night out, as the last train back is a stupid time like 9:30. But during the day there's quite a few trains there.

and yes the campus is set back from the town, so you can avoid the town if you really wanted to.

Stockton is ok for a bit of shopping, but Middlesbrough is much better, so if I need something I tend to go there. Only takes a few mins by car, train or bus.
Reply 99
All sounds great but i herd the area is kinda rough!
How safe do u feel livin in stockton? Also goin out at night to stockton and borough is it safe ?

Latest