The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Eradicating
This is what I wrote.

I don't know we're people got ions colliding in lattice in current and resistor. Because that only happens inside metals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This energy transfer is caused by electrons colliding with the ions which make up the resistor.
Original post by SeniOyewumi
For the nuclear fusion question about why it doesn't need to slow down, I said the neutrons are attached to a nuclei/atom of an element so I think I would have gotten 1 mark.

The neutron is not attached to the reactants the isotopes! They make a helium nucleus and a "separate" neutron. This is a by product and is not used in a chain reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes! 216000 I think:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I got it wrong because there was small space to write it down.
Constructing a mark scheme: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2712016&p=48134129#post48134129

Would be helpful if you can remember any questions.
Original post by Akashi
This energy transfer is caused by electrons colliding with the ions which make up the resistor.

Metallic structures have lattice structures regular arrangements. However the resistor is not a metal? But the electrons are carried in the current. So the transfer energy. In the edexcel student book it says that metals have lattice structure and when current flows the electrons collide with ions etc.

Nothing about resistors except that current carries electrons through a resistor and transfers energy for heating effect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The neutron is not attached to the reactants the isotopes! They make a helium nucleus and a "separate" neutron. This is a by product and is not used in a chain reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My textbook says "Deuterium and tritium are hydrogen nuclei with added neutrons" that was probably one of the trickiest questions in the exam, I should have written they need a lot of kinetic energy, I wrote they need less -_- oh well only 1 mark dropped.
Metallic structures have lattice structures regular arrangements. However the resistor is not a metal? But the electrons are carried in the current. So the transfer energy. In the edexcel student book it says that metals have lattice structure and when current flows the electrons collide with ions etc.

Nothing about resistors except that current carries electrons through a resistor and transfers energy for heating effect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously, it's in every basic physics textbook, the electrons collide with the ions making up the lattice.
Oh I wrote that neutrons aren't absorbed in fusion, shouldn't that be a mark?
Reply 108

Posted from TSR Mobile

Listen. Resistors are made up of ionic lattices. The current carries electrons. As the current passes through resistor the electrons its carrying collide with the ions in the lattice of the resistors. This creates energy in the form of heat leading the inevitable temperature increase of the resistor.
Quick question, where is 1.2 coming from? Is that the time?
Reply 110
Quick question, where is 1.2 coming from? Is that the time?

1.2 m/s^2 is the acceleration.
Original post by Akashi
1.2 m/s^2 is the acceleration.

What was the time?
Original post by Akashi
Listen. Resistors are made up of ionic lattices. The current carries electrons. As the current passes through resistor the electrons its carrying collide with the ions in the lattice of the resistors. This creates energy in the form of heat leading the inevitable temperature increase of the resistor.

Yeah but you could get 2 marks from simply saying the current transfers energy and this has a heating effect and this is what heats the resistors.
Did you get 1 joule per coulomb or something like that?
Original post by wise not old
Did you get 1 joule per coulomb or something like that?

Yes in one multiple choice question. 1V=1 joule per coulomb

Joules per second can be measured in Watts (Power)
Yeah but you could get 2 marks from simply saying the current transfers energy and this has a heating effect and this is what heats the resistors.

Aye!

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG mate I know which answer was 7.83 now, I'm sorry guys you were correct I probably did get 5.83 or whatever you guys got.

This is how you get 7.83:

The question asked you to calculate the current and you had to use the formula electrical power= current x potential difference

Potential difference was given to be 230v
Power was given to be 1.8kw which is = 1800 W

Current= electrical power/potential difference
= 1800/230= 7.826 and if you round that up, it's 7.83.
5.8? For what. .

It was 7.8

Posted from TSR Mobile

you is wrong. very wrong. tut tut tut. 7 years later, you will be demolished.
a = (v-u)/t. you must re-arrange this to make t (time) the subject. therefore, t = (v-u)/a.

(20-13)/1.2 = 5.8s.

you is very wrong but hoped your exam went well.
i is a wizard.

Latest