The Student Room Group

Uganda Trip

I've applied for a 2 week trip to Uganda in the Easter holidays, 2015. It will be my first year of A-levels so I don't know the scale of work and revision I'll have to be doing when that time comes around. Is it wise to go away for 2 weeks in April time, just a month before exams start?
Original post by charlmay
I've applied for a 2 week trip to Uganda in the Easter holidays, 2015. It will be my first year of A-levels so I don't know the scale of work and revision I'll have to be doing when that time comes around. Is it wise to go away for 2 weeks in April time, just a month before exams start?

I think the Easter holiday falls early this year, so it could be doable. I'm taking it you'll be doing volunteering or something? I volunteered at a school in S Africa and came back a changed person, hugely motivated to work to the best of my abilities at school and do well in my exams, so it may do the same to you too.

I personally used to use the Easter holiday as my core revision time, particularly at AS, but if you were to start this earlier and perhaps continue with 1-2 hours whilst you were in Uganda, then go 'full steam ahead' so to speak when you returned, I think you'd be fine. This, of course, wholly depends on the subjects you've chosen to study, and it might be worth asking the subject teachers or Head of Sixth Form (if possible) to get their advice too.

Are you going on this trip through school, or is it something you've chosen to do externally? If it's external then they're also likely to run trips in the summer, which won't eat out of revision time.
Reply 2
Original post by moggington
I think the Easter holiday falls early this year, so it could be doable. I'm taking it you'll be doing volunteering or something? I volunteered at a school in S Africa and came back a changed person, hugely motivated to work to the best of my abilities at school and do well in my exams, so it may do the same to you too.

I personally used to use the Easter holiday as my core revision time, particularly at AS, but if you were to start this earlier and perhaps continue with 1-2 hours whilst you were in Uganda, then go 'full steam ahead' so to speak when you returned, I think you'd be fine. This, of course, wholly depends on the subjects you've chosen to study, and it might be worth asking the subject teachers or Head of Sixth Form (if possible) to get their advice too.

Are you going on this trip through school, or is it something you've chosen to do externally? If it's external then they're also likely to run trips in the summer, which won't eat out of revision time.

Thanks for your response! Yes, it'll be doing volunteering and it's through school so unfortunately nothing is being run in the summer. I've chosen to study English lit, Biology, French and Psychology, and I'll definitely speak to my subject teachers about it. Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest