The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by personage
WOUld you choose LMH, Magdalen or Merton for Eng Lit?:confused:

Personally I like Merton, but mags has the 10 hottest finalists *swoon*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
Exactly! It's going to cost loads though between travelling to these open days and staying overnight in some cases.

Same here, I can only think of one person who got into Oxford whilst I've been in the school and that was for theology or something- no one has ever got in for medicine which is pretty worrying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can be the first!!! :colone:
Original post by misstac
you can be the first!!! :colone:

Hahaha that'd be amazing!!
I seriously doubt it though, something in the back of my mind is just telling me I definitely won't get in!

I'll have to wait and see though, it's worth a try :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha that'd be amazing!!
I seriously doubt it though, something in the back of my mind is just telling me I definitely won't get in!

I'll have to wait and see though, it's worth a try :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've met many oxford students who say they felt just the same at the outset. It is a challenge but not impossible. Why not give it a try?
Original post by admissionshost
I've met many oxford students who say they felt just the same at the outset. It is a challenge but not impossible. Why not give it a try?

I'd really love to. I said if I got 8 or 9A*s I'd consider it, so when I got 14 it seemed like a definite possibility!

I think Oxford is not only a beautiful place, but also the way the course is taught is so different to anywhere else. That's why it appeals to me most :smile:

I'm just not sure how many state school students apply and get an offer. I don't think anyone from my school has been accepted to do medicine before as I come from a state school in what is classed as a deprived area, so that's the only thing that's holding me back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd really love to. I said if I got 8 or 9A*s I'd consider it, so when I got 14 it seemed like a definite possibility!

I'm just not sure how many state school students apply and get an offer. I don't think anyone from my school has been accepted to do medicine before as I come from a state school in what is classed as a deprived area, so that's the only thing that's holding me back.

Medicine applications are organised centrally by Medical Sciences and the admissions stats can be found below:

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-admissions-statistics/school-type

The significant predictors are predicted A*s and performance in the BMAT. Holding these constant, school type does not predict outcome.
GCSE Grades: 14 A*
A-level Subjects: English Lit, French, History and Economics
Course: English or English and French
College: Magdalen

Does anyone know what English and French are really like at Oxford? I'm unsure as to whether or not I should go for it. Thank you!
Original post by oaw14235
GCSE Grades: 14 A*
A-level Subjects: English Lit, French, History and Economics
Course: English or English and French
College: Magdalen

Does anyone know what English and French are really like at Oxford? I'm unsure as to whether or not I should go for it. Thank you!

Well done for those GCSEs!
Thank you! 😄
I got rejected this year for PPE after interviews. My grades were 10 A* at IGCSE (with two 'top in the world' distinctions), 6 As at AS and 5 A* predictions for A with an a prediction for AS FM. I have offers from both LSE and UCL to start next year. I think that I managed to flop the interviews due to stress, and that probably let me down. Should I try reapplying next year? Many thanks.
Original post by philerus
I got rejected this year for PPE after interviews. My grades were 10 A* at IGCSE (with two 'top in the world' distinctions), 6 As at AS and 5 A* predictions for A with an a prediction for AS FM. I have offers from both LSE and UCL to start next year. I think that I managed to flop the interviews due to stress, and that probably let me down. Should I try reapplying next year? Many thanks.

I know a guy a couple of years back who went to my skl. Same situation as you and got in when he reapplied. It depends i say. Personally I'd be more than happy with a place at lse and do a masters at Oxford or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hopefulecon12
I know a guy a couple of years back who went to my skl. Same situation as you and got in when he reapplied. It depends i say. Personally I'd be more than happy with a place at lse and do a masters at Oxford or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was my plan initially, but as time passes I still cannot get over the rejection, and it is really distracting. Thanks for the reply though!
youve got amazing grades. Go for it again if you feel it will hang over you. But if not, go and get a FIRST elsewhere! My sister did that and never regretted it.
PPE offer holder - if anyone wants any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 254
Original post by aasvogel
PPE offer holder - if anyone wants any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great, compliment! Are you an international student? How was your interview? What score Did you get at TSA?
Original post by Ibac
Great, compliment! Are you an international student? How was your interview? What score Did you get at TSA?

Hey - I'm a Home applicant from NI. Interviews were tricky - thought my Philosophy+Economics one was awkward and didn't really know how I had got on. My Politics one was interesting and thought it went much better!

TSA scores was 68.5 overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 256
Hey - I'm a Home applicant from NI. Interviews were tricky - thought my Philosophy+Economics one was awkward and didn't really know how I had got on. My Politics one was interesting and thought it went much better!

TSA scores was 68.5 overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For example what kind of things did they ask?
May I ask you which college did you choose?
Thank u so much!
Original post by Ibac
For example what kind of things did they ask?
May I ask you which college did you choose?
Thank u so much!

I was given a passage in Philosophy to discuss and analyse. Questions on price setting. Questions on anarchism and my personal statement.
They varied by each candidate and by each college.

I applied to, and was interviewed at, Wadham, but have been given an open offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
I was given a passage in Philosophy to discuss and analyse. Questions on price setting. Questions on anarchism and my personal statement.
They varied by each candidate and by each college.

I applied to, and was interviewed at, Wadham, but have been given an open offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much,! Fingers crossed
Reply 259
Apologies this is a little bit of spamming but hopefully it will be useful to you, I'm involved in an access initiative her at Oxford called #OxTweet and we are currently trying to expand our following. It's using twitter to let you know about daily life in Ox (the good, the bad and the ugly!) and to answer your questions. Our accounts cover most subjects (and will be expanding to more in the next week!). In the run up to your applications it's a great way to engage directly with students, pick up some handy tips and see what really goes on. To find us search #OxTweet on twitter or see below for a specific list of accounts (all have @ before them):

oxfordlawyer1
Ox_History
OxfordChemist1
OxPPE
EnglishOx
OxfordBMS
OxArtHistory
Oxford_Physics
OxHumanSci
OxfordPhysPhil
OxfordMaths
OxfordBiochem