The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by colourtheory
We don't have an astro-pitch, but we do use the sports pitches for hockey in Michaelmas and Hilary.

What for grass hockey?

& I know its only a little thing, but whats this commemoration ball thing? Do colleges hold other formal evenings/balls throughout the year or what?
Reply 1801
Wondering what the interview for chemistry is like and if there is anything I can do to prepare for it.
Original post by Eux
What for grass hockey?

& I know its only a little thing, but whats this commemoration ball thing? Do colleges hold other formal evenings/balls throughout the year or what?

Tbh I'm not the sporty type so I'm not sure. We do have a couple of very successful hockey teams though and as far as I'm aware they play on site. Maybe The_Lonely_Goatherd knows?

Not all of Oxford's colleges are host to a ball, but there are many which are. The exact offering depends on the year as they are hosted on rotation. This year for example, I went to balls at Exeter, Keble, Magdalen, and Pembroke, but next year there'll be balls at other colleges. Having said that, some colleges hold annual balls.

Worcester is one of the few commemoration balls that the university offers. These events are much more special than traditional Oxford balls. Commemoration balls are white tie which puts them on par with royal events and the food, drink, and entertainment is usually amazing. Oxford's traditional balls are black tie so less special, but still excellent.

Edit: there are also various formal events held throughout the year like Law Dinners etc. You spend a lot of time at Oxford in formal wear :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by twelfthnight
In your position I would apply :smile: I would prep for the ELAT if you do make an application, maybe by doing a couple of past papers. You also have to submit written work :smile: Then for the interview - well, prep for that when it comes around but know your personal statement and written work well and perhaps know the books you said you read in detail :smile:

Thanks for your Advice! In a way it was reassuring, in a way terrifying... What would written work typically be, anyone? A bit of coursework you are especially pleased with? Should it be very recent?
Original post by Historandpliny
I think I'd like to apply to study English Lang and Lit at Oxford, having liked it a lot at the open day and after getting 4 A's in my AS. I thought that I had totally screwed them up, and as such have done little to no research into how to make a competitive oxford english application, or indeed, whether I will be able to.
So I go to a kinda good state school
AS levels in English, History, Latin (and Fine Art which I'm dropping)
I'm gonna start an EPQ this year hopefully. Other than that I have very very little extracurricular to talk about. I've started to try and read widely.. Is that enough?
8A* 5A's at GCSE If that matters.

a) Should i give it a go? At which point do I lower my expectations?

b) if so, what should I start doing now, I've got very little if my personal statement written, I dunno if I should be prepping for anything else? Grateful for any advice!

Please do go for it! Keep reading widely and make notes of intelligent/pertinent observations you have on each book, so that it's easier to bring things to mind when writing your PS. Look at any past ELAT papers if there are ones available. Good luck :biggrin:

Original post by Eux
Right, cheers. Would you say that Worcester is conveniently located as I keep getting mixed views as to how central/easy access to shops/clubs/bars/cafes it is, and looking at a map it looks a bit out of the centre- is this particularly noticeable when you are there, and do most people at Worcester have a bike? The main problem i see with Worcester at the moment is how far away it is from the Iffley Road sports complex, but all the colleges I'm shortlisting aren't as close as I'd like it to be anyway. thoughts?

What colourtheory said :awesome: We are closest to the bus and train stations as well (in terms of undergrad colleges) :biggrin:

As for hockey stuff - Sporty Spice wasn't my favourite Spice Girl, put it that way :wink:
Original post by Historandpliny
Thanks for your Advice! In a way it was reassuring, in a way terrifying... What would written work typically be, anyone? A bit of coursework you are especially pleased with? Should it be very recent?

I just submitted an essay I wrote in class (I'm not sure English allow that though) :smile: some friends did an essay in their own time and had it marked. Others submitted a homework essay. Oxford wants A2 standard I think, so GCSE coursework wouldn't be the best idea :tongue: it also has to be marked. I think as long as you can talk about it fairly well and it's within the word count (I think up to 2,000 words) most things should be ok.
Here's what the requirements are (from the English department website)

'Candidates are required to submit one recent example of writing, by 10 November 2015. This should be a marked essay produced in the normal course of your school or college work and should not have been rewritten after marking. Preferably it should be an analytical discussion of a topic or topics in the field of English literature, though an English language topic is permissible. It should not be a short timed essay, a critical commentary on particular passages of text (practical criticism exercises), or a piece of creative writing.'

I know everything can seem terrifying but try to think of it as... exciting! :tongue:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

As for hockey stuff - Sporty Spice wasn't my favourite Spice Girl, put it that way :wink:

Oh my goodness, yasss!
Woosta is awesome - if you have any questions, do just drop me a PM :biggrin: TA is awesome. The stuff of legends. He's such a sweetie. I'm honoured to be his college wife :love:

Hahahaha, I always warn Woosta musos because suddenly a minute into your piece he's basically facepalming and you're like OMG AM I ****/HAVE I MORTALLY OFFENDED YOU, whereas it's just his way of enjoying the piece.

Also, worth mentioning the chaplain at Woosta is the best thing since sliced bread. He's basically my second father :redface: JA is lovely, but also has slightly unfortunate facial expressions, so don't pay attention to his facial expression too much if they seem a bit negative :tongue:

TLG is the unofficial cheerleader for Worcester, but she is right about the chaplain & the choir people- they are the best (well, except for Emma at Trinity of course...)(even if she did go to The Other Place in her wayward youth).
x

x

A final one from me if you will (sorry for all the questions). In the TSR pros and cons page it says that Worcester has the lowest endowment of all undergrad colleges. Aside from printing costs, does this affect the students much at all? i.e what else do you have to pay for, and what aspects are more expensive than the average over other colleges like accomodation/food/bar prices etc?
Original post by Eux
A final one from me if you will (sorry for all the questions). In the TSR pros and cons page it says that Worcester has the lowest endowment of all undergrad colleges. Aside from printing costs, does this affect the students much at all? i.e what else do you have to pay for, and what aspects are more expensive than the average over other colleges like accomodation/food/bar prices etc?

It's basically printing, everything else is actually very well priced even vs the other colleges. We're not actually the poorest college anymore because our endowment has actually doubled in the last couple of years.

Also, our endowment is £30,000,000 which is pretty decent considering there are only 400 undergrads. Manchester Met has an endowment of £1,000,000 and they have 50,000 students.
Original post by Eux

I've just been having a look at the breakdown of the college endowment and it's a hugely complex enterprise. The college has millions in various investments and the amount of funding ring fenced for students is huge and there are several funds for several different things.

Basically, you're college experience is not really affected by endowment unless you're at a very wealthy college. You might pay a few pence more for printing, but it's nothing to worry about.

Two things to say about accommodation costs:
1) The college subsidise accommodation costs so the bill is never that big.
2) A lot of colleges require their students to move out in the second year and paying private rental prices is significantly more expensive. In the long run accommodation is far cheaper at Worcester than it would be if you're required to move out.
I have several questions (probably a little stupid) about the oxford application process. I'll say it how I see it and people can correct me if I'm wrong and complete my view if anything is missing :
I'm applying for History and Economics so I sit the HAT with economics question on 4th of November.
I apply through UCAS with a PS. Do I have a referee as well ?
I have to send in a written essay for each subject, written in my own time as part of school work. I only send this once I know which college is considering my application.
What else do I need to send ? (School reports ? My equivalent GCSE results ?).
I'm sorry for these questions but I feel lost because in my French Lycée hardly anybody as been through this process ! Any help will be appreciated !
(edited 8 years ago)
I've just been having a look at the breakdown of the college endowment and it's a hugely complex enterprise. The college has millions in various investments and the amount of funding ring fenced for students is huge and there are several funds for several different things.

Basically, you're college experience is not really affected by endowment unless you're at a very wealthy college. You might pay a few pence more for printing, but it's nothing to worry about.

Two things to say about accommodation costs:
1) The college subsidise accommodation costs so the bill is never that big.
2) A lot of colleges require their students to move out in the second year and paying private rental prices is significantly more expensive. In the long run accommodation is far cheaper at Worcester than it would be if you're required to move out.

What's so different to a wealthy college then?
Original post by Mairickme
I have several questions (probably a little stupid) about the oxford application process. I'll say it how I see it and people can correct me if I'm wrong and complete my view if anything is missing :
I'm applying for History and Economics so I sit the HAT with economics question on 4th of November.
I apply through UCAS with a PS. Do I have a referee as well ?
I have to send in a written essay for each subject, written in my own time as part of school work. I only send this once I know which college is considering my application.
What else do I need to send ? (School reports ? My equivalent GCSE results ?).
I'm sorry for these questions but I feel lost because in my French Lycée hardly anybody as been through this process ! Any help will be appreciated !

Hi there :smile: if you go to ucas.com you will be shown the first stage of appliction which is standard and requires a reference and lots of personal info.
On Oxfords website, if you find the subject page for what you are applying for, it has all the requirements and a full page JUST on the undergrad application service explaining each part and what, where and when to send everything :smile:/
Original post by Eux
What's so different to a wealthy college then?

That's precisely my point; your experience is likely to be very similar. You might pay a little bit more for some things, but a lot is subsidised. Our food is excellent and cheap and accommodation well priced.

Endowments are very complicated. Just because a college has a larger endowment doesn't mean they've ring fenced more money for food for students etc. They may choose to reinvest and buy land and property, for example.
Original post by Eux

That info is a bit old, since I think we recently sold a painting for £3 million or some **** like that :tongue: It does not really affect students, dw :nah:
I'm off on holiday, folks, so no replies from me for a bit over 2 weeks :nutcase:
I'm off on holiday, folks, so no replies from me for a bit over 2 weeks :nutcase:

Have a lovely time! :smile:
Oh my goodness, yasss!

:danceboy:

Original post by DCDude
TLG is the unofficial cheerleader for Worcester

Not sure what you mean :ahee:

Can't rep you. Fecking TSR :grumble: :shakecane: :cry:
Original post by Ivoryfall
Have a lovely time! :smile:

Thank you :h:

Latest