The Student Room Group

When Americans try to label European countries on a map......

...Chile.... I CANT! Why is America so shady towards Europe? :colondollar:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/americans-try-to-place-european-countries-on-a-map

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I can see they weren't at all joking around, and were being deadly serious when labeling.

Besides, lets see how good UK students are at labeling US states :rolleyes:
i actually cringed on the 3rd photo, they dont know where scotland is. well to be honest, the only states i know is texas and florida
Reply 3
Original post by BenAssirati
Well I can see they weren't at all joking around, and were being deadly serious when labeling.

Brits would be better at labeling US States than Americans would be at labeling UK Counties.
lol, and you try naming U.S. states on the map :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
Brits would be better at labeling US States than Americans would be at labeling UK Counties.

Probably, but then that is because of the sheer size of US States. Each one is a self-contained nation. What do you think SHOULD be more well-known: Florida or Bedfordshire? Texas or Huntingdonshire?
pmsl
Reply 7
Probably, but then that is because of the sheer size of US States. Each one is a self-contained nation. What do you think SHOULD be more well-known: Florida or Bedfordshire? Texas or Huntingdonshire?

Think it also has more to do with the pervasiveness of American culture. Try this, I could actually name all 50.

What should be more well known to a Brit? Why shouldn't it be the counties?
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Think it also has more to do with the pervasiveness of American culture. Try this, I could actually name all 50.

What should be more well known to a Brit? Why shouldn't it be the counties?

Oh, you can name all 50...good for you. Doesn't help your case that Brits are better than Americans in naming opposing areas.

Don't change your mind, we weren't discussing what should be more well known to a Brit, we are talking what should be more well know to members of different countries (so Brit>US and US>Brit).
Reply 9
Oh, you can name all 50...good for you. Doesn't help your case that Brits are better than Americans in naming opposing areas.

Don't change your mind, we weren't discussing what should be more well known to a Brit, we are talking what should be more well know to members of different countries (so Brit>US and US>Brit).

*You* were discussing it. And not very clearly.

I was stating that, due to the invasive nature of US culture, that the average Brit would be better placed to name the US States than the average American would be at naming the UK counties.
:rofl: though to be fair I couldn't label all the European countries and I definitely couldn't label US states, I can name a few and I have an idea of which ones are north and which are south but that is the extent of my knowledge :laugh:
It wouldn't surprise me if some Europeans struggle to label European countries. One girl in my sixth form had to double check London was the capitol of England...
Reply 12
Original post by MattBerry96
It wouldn't surprise me if some Europeans struggle to label European countries. One girl in my sixth form had to double check London was the capitol of England...

Yeah I'm not sure who we are making fun of Americans....

British people are much more ignorant then they think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattBerry96

That has more to do with 'them' changing what's Europe and what isn't :tongue: European football... Eurovision Song contest... all severely mess with the borders!
Original post by Drewski

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat Yeah, but probably not that much better...
At least they're funny; if British people tried to do this it wouldn't be humorous at all :lol:
I don't know any American states. And to be honest I wouldn't be able to name too many of the Eastern European countries.
This may shock some people but flawless geography is not required to be fairly intelligent.
Reply 17
To be fair if I was given a map of the US I would produce much worse.

In fairness as stupid as many Brits are I'm pretty sure most of us could do better. I could name all of them with ease but that's my good geo knowledge
Loving the 2 Mongolias map. Mongolia where Ukraine is and another Mongolia where Kazakhstan is

Quick Reply

Latest