The Student Room Group

I want to become a musician

I had an offer to become a musician but was scared, the singer [has millions of followers, 13+ million plus followers] told me I have talent but I am so scared... how can I become one since I rejected one since im studying but want to learn how to use GarageBand/Logic Pro x and make music.
I think there are lots of different ways to get involved in music, either on stage, in the studio, as an engineer or producer. Even live stage technician. There are also different groups like orchestras, choirs, music clubs, music lessons...

Just keep doing lots of things that you are comfortable with and your confidence will grow.

You will also discover what you personally like and are naturally drawn to, and what you don't like regardless of confidence.

It's also just one person's opinion, famous or not. Follow your own heart and intuition.
Original post by Anonymous
but I am so scared.

Why? That would appear the be the main obstacle

Learning to use the software is pretty good, I'm mostly self taught but did courses with the open uni and a few free/promo online providers to production, mixing, tech etc (I use mostly FL Studio for composition and mixing & Audacity for sample work

I have it a bit easier as I play keys/synths so I never really have to interact with the crowd or really put myself out there like a singer does
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Why? That would appear the be the main obstacle

Learning to use the software is pretty good, I'm mostly self taught but did courses with the open uni and a few free/promo online providers to production, mixing, tech etc (I use mostly FL Studio for composition and mixing & Audacity for sample work

I have it a bit easier as I play keys/synths so I never really have to interact with the crowd or really put myself out there like a singer does

I was scared because I didn’t want to deal with the hate, but when he comes back then I will consider taking that offer. The only reason why I was scared because I would have to fly to America and I never been there before :/ even though I’m an adult it’s a lot to consider
Reply 4
Original post by chattyandcurious
I think there are lots of different ways to get involved in music, either on stage, in the studio, as an engineer or producer. Even live stage technician. There are also different groups like orchestras, choirs, music clubs, music lessons...

Just keep doing lots of things that you are comfortable with and your confidence will grow.

You will also discover what you personally like and are naturally drawn to, and what you don't like regardless of confidence.

It's also just one person's opinion, famous or not. Follow your own heart and intuition.

Thank you, I really want to do it but he told me I need to live in America since he’s American and he wants to teach me how to play all of the instruments, I have a MacBook so I guess I could learn how to use Logic Pro x or GarageBand. Also I’m like fat so I felt like my body would have been at a disadvantage to become a singer - and I’m studying.. finshing my degree then go to America

What kind of courses that are free to take? I don’t mind, really don’t mind if it is free or it has a cost… may I ask? How hard is it to become a singer? The record label is famous so it would be easier for me to become a singer
Thank you, I really want to do it but he told me I need to live in America since he’s American and he wants to teach me how to play all of the instruments, I have a MacBook so I guess I could learn how to use Logic Pro x or GarageBand. Also I’m like fat so I felt like my body would have been at a disadvantage to become a singer - and I’m studying.. finshing my degree then go to America

What kind of courses that are free to take? I don’t mind, really don’t mind if it is free or it has a cost… may I ask? How hard is it to become a singer? The record label is famous so it would be easier for me to become a singer

This could be incredible but, as a young person, is this a genuine person messaging you and asking you to go to another country? They don't have colleagues here at least at first. Or you could record here and send over the audio, either at home or in a studio. Also video meetings.

For courses, there are various people to ask like https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/ and prospects.ac.uk particularly the job description parts and just good old fashioned google.
Reply 6
This could be incredible but, as a young person, is this a genuine person messaging you and asking you to go to another country? They don't have colleagues here at least at first. Or you could record here and send over the audio, either at home or in a studio. Also video meetings.

For courses, there are various people to ask like https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/ and prospects.ac.uk particularly the job description parts and just good old fashioned google.

I did find it very odd when he asked me to go to America, there is a record label in the UK but turns out he had a crush on me and wanted me to go to America for him. I didn’t decline but I didn’t accept it so hopefully when he comes to the uk I could give him my number but not come to America.

I don’t really trust him because well I don’t know him and I did find it very suspicious that he wanted me to go to America when there is the same record label in the UK. Long story short, if he comes back I will let you know
I did find it very odd when he asked me to go to America, there is a record label in the UK but turns out he had a crush on me and wanted me to go to America for him. I didn’t decline but I didn’t accept it so hopefully when he comes to the uk I could give him my number but not come to America.

I don’t really trust him because well I don’t know him and I did find it very suspicious that he wanted me to go to America when there is the same record label in the UK. Long story short, if he comes back I will let you know

There are problems in the music industry and similar industries anyway. So just do it distantly.

Only give contact details that aren't revealing or could be changed or blocked if it goes wrong. Get everything in writing too (e.g. just a casual email which has a date on the top and details but keep a copy always as it's an informal contract and evidence).
Reply 8
There are problems in the music industry and similar industries anyway. So just do it distantly.

Only give contact details that aren't revealing or could be changed or blocked if it goes wrong. Get everything in writing too (e.g. just a casual email which has a date on the top and details but keep a copy always as it's an informal contract and evidence).

I will give him my number (can easily change that if I change my mind) and I will ask him to email me everything - I will keep text messages, emails and etc just in case.

Should I do it after I get my degree, it will be an ordinary degree but I might consider doing it in the Uk… even though I’m 22 and he’s making a new album which means he is definitely coming back to Europe and when he does, I will definitely consider doing it after I obtain my degree.

It would be good for me since music has been my passion and I don’t want to work a dead end 9-5 (although a 9-5 doesn’t seem that bad but I get burn out so bad) so when he arrives to the uk in a couple of months then I will consider doing it from home or they must provide an accommodation + a contract that will have the stuff that I want so I can get the best benefits in the career I want to do. Once that hits then it hits, ofc I need to lose weight and get my life together before I consider that.
I will give him my number (can easily change that if I change my mind) and I will ask him to email me everything - I will keep text messages, emails and etc just in case.

Should I do it after I get my degree, it will be an ordinary degree but I might consider doing it in the Uk… even though I’m 22 and he’s making a new album which means he is definitely coming back to Europe and when he does, I will definitely consider doing it after I obtain my degree.

It would be good for me since music has been my passion and I don’t want to work a dead end 9-5 (although a 9-5 doesn’t seem that bad but I get burn out so bad) so when he arrives to the uk in a couple of months then I will consider doing it from home or they must provide an accommodation + a contract that will have the stuff that I want so I can get the best benefits in the career I want to do. Once that hits then it hits, ofc I need to lose weight and get my life together before I consider that.

If everything is safe and flexible around you in this country, try and fit it around your degree.

Studio sessions aren't usually weeks. Even if you did a full solo album, you can do a few songs per day if already written.
Reply 10
This reads like a grooming. I don't want to sound mean or dramatic. But be very careful with this person.
If everything is safe and flexible around you in this country, try and fit it around your degree.

Studio sessions aren't usually weeks. Even if you did a full solo album, you can do a few songs per day if already written.

You might also want to get legal advice before eg is there a musician or performance union for royalties?

Also, if you're alone with him in a studio or elsewhere, take a friend as you've already raised red flags. Even if it turns out to be a false alarm and completely okay. Don't be on your own at a young age.
Reply 12
Original post by gjd800
This reads like a grooming. I don't want to sound mean or dramatic. But be very careful with this person.

Is it? When I was going to give him my number,
Everyone in the venue was smirking and I was so confused then I stopped myself and made an excuse. I am careful around him, he kept asking me if I want to have children and kept asking me personal questions.. I won’t move out of the uk and im staying here since im getting a degre and will be working for a bit then consider if I want to music in the uk. I don’t know it was grooming but thank you for saying it reads like a grooming
Reply 13
You might also want to get legal advice before eg is there a musician or performance union for royalties?

Also, if you're alone with him in a studio or elsewhere, take a friend as you've already raised red flags. Even if it turns out to be a false alarm and completely okay. Don't be on your own at a young age.

I don’t have any friends at the moment but I have some acquaintances so I could ask them for some advice. I will get legal advice aka a written contract and everything in writing, I will talk to a lawyer about this and what kind of red flags? Yes it’s weird that he wants me to move to a country I don’t know well and I won’t be in my own because I am staying in the UK despite he says he wants me to come to America. There is a record label in London and I could live in London for the time being. It’s easier for me and way safer for me
Reply 14

I am nearly done with my degree, got a couple of months left and I’m staying in the UK
Is it? When I was going to give him my number,
Everyone in the venue was smirking and I was so confused then I stopped myself and made an excuse. I am careful around him, he kept asking me if I want to have children and kept asking me personal questions.. I won’t move out of the uk and im staying here since im getting a degre and will be working for a bit then consider if I want to music in the uk. I don’t know it was grooming but thank you for saying it reads like a grooming

yes you could do it without phone e.g. email, but not whatsapp because that shows your number.
Reply 16
yes you could do it without phone e.g. email, but not whatsapp because that shows your number.

I will make a new gmail for that but do you think it is a trap if I move to America? If I want to become a singer, I would ask three lawyers in a magic circle law firm to look at the contract and let the law firm sort it out, but when everyone was smirking it did seem like a huge trap like he was going to do something
I had an offer to become a musician but was scared, the singer [has millions of followers, 13+ million plus followers] told me I have talent but I am so scared... how can I become one since I rejected one since im studying but want to learn how to use GarageBand/Logic Pro x and make music.
It's natural to feel apprehensive, but don't let fear hold you back from pursuing your passion. Take small steps like learning GarageBand or Logic Pro X and experimenting with music creation. Seek mentorship, practice consistently, and gradually build confidence in your abilities. Embrace the journey and believe in yourself!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending