The Student Room Group

Why is there virtually no build up to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow?

Btw the games are starting tomorrow... Thats right.

There has been no build up or coverage by the media or newspapers about the fantastic event which is going to take place in glasgow. It seems that the British media is somewhat ashamed or embarrassed to talk about this.

Can anyone shed any light on the pathetic revelation?

Scroll to see replies

bump..?
Lol the Commonwealth games are in Glasgow right now? :eek:
Has there been greater hype for previous Commonwealth Games? It is a lower quality of competition in most sports present due to the absence of certain greats, but I do agree it should have more coverage. However this comes from someone who is passionate about sport at all levels due to experience in it. I think most of the country don't really know sports well enough to appreciate these events and just think, I watched the Olympics so that'll do for sport. :/ But people will generally follow the media's leading so if they showed it perhaps they'd get a better response! Also it could be a money issue...perhaps the opening ceremony will look like a bit of a let-down after London 2012. A lot of theories :biggrin:
Original post by Sheepish153
Has there been greater hype for previous Commonwealth Games? It is a lower quality of competition in most sports present due to the absence of certain greats, but I do agree it should have more coverage. However this comes from someone who is passionate about sport at all levels due to experience in it. I think most of the country don't really know sports well enough to appreciate these events and just think, I watched the Olympics so that'll do for sport. :/ But people will generally follow the media's leading so if they showed it perhaps they'd get a better response! Also it could be a money issue...perhaps the opening ceremony will look like a bit of a let-down after London 2012. A lot of theories :biggrin:

Or maybe because its being held in Scotland its just dropped off the radar, thats my theory
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Or maybe because its being held in Scotland its just dropped off the radar, thats my theory

Very true. If it had been in London it wouldn't have been off the news.......we really need better more unbiased national news :/
Reply 6
Original post by sachinisgod
There has been no build up or coverage by the media or newspapers about the fantastic event which is going to take place in glasgow.

Says more about the newspapers you read, frankly.

Been loads about it on the BBC for a long time, all over their Sport website pages and various TV programmes for a long time. My newspaper has had regular updates on various athletes and stories behind it, building up to it. There has been plenty of build up.

There hasn't, however, been the all-out 24/7 coverage that the Olympics gets because, frankly, it's not as big or as important. And also because last month was taken up by the World Cup, something which tends to gather a little more interest.
Reply 7
Btw the games are starting tomorrow... Thats right.

There has been no build up or coverage by the media or newspapers about the fantastic event which is going to take place in glasgow. It seems that the British media is somewhat ashamed or embarrassed to talk about this.

Can anyone shed any light on the pathetic revelation?

Have you seen what the Glaswegian people look like? :tongue:

Its probably because we have had no funding from England, yet we were forced to pay up for the Olympics :rolleyes:

Glasgow is so ****e we probably spent all the money on refurbishing and there was none left over for the media coverage?
Or wait I have a better theory, how about the fact they spent half a million on security.... For the sewers. :facepalm: So a terrorist didn't go underground and blow something up... :dontknow:
Because it means jack-****.

If you win the 100m, what does it mean? The winner will still get roasted by the Jamaicans in the Olympics/World Championships.
Reply 9
Original post by Manchester United
Because it means jack-****.

If you win the 100m, what does it mean? The winner will still get roasted by the Jamaicans in the Olympics/World Championships.

Except Jamaica is part of the Commonwealth, so they compete :fyi:
Original post by Drewski
Except Jamaica is part of the Commonwealth, so they compete :fyi:

I'm excited for it, but then again I'm volunteering at it and study in Glasgow. There's defs been a sense of build up around the city and amongst us volunteers! We all got to go see final dress rehearsal for the Opening Ceremony and it's incredible!!
It has. Been on TV and News. Online.

The Ceremony at 8-11pm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aye the mighty parkhead!
Is there an opening ceremony thread
Original post by Birdman1234567
Is there an opening ceremony thread

You should totally create one :yep:
As predicted, bias towards England and Scotland in events with referees. home advantage or what..
Original post by Sheepish153
Very true. If it had been in London it wouldn't have been off the news.......we really need better more unbiased national news :/

Yep, I am sick of it. I think a lot of people outside of London are.
As predicted, bias towards England and Scotland in events with referees. home advantage or what..

In which event(s)? :holmes:

...every event has referees. England and Scotland are losing just as many as they're winning.

Quick Reply

Latest