The Student Room Group

Forced to get a job

Hi I'm 15.

Is it crazy that I really don't want a job?

I think I'm being forced into getting one.
If it's your parents who are making you get a job then try and convince them to let you do chores around the house for money instead. If they insist on a job, maybe tell them that it'd be too much to manage along with GCSEs and other things. Or just go with it and find something that you enjoy doing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents keep telling me to get a job and I keep telling them it's not going to happen anytime soon :laugh:

Your only 15 though and no it's not crazy that you don't want a job - just tell your parents or whoever is forcing you that you want to focus on school at the moment and could maybe get a job when your older?
Original post by DaisyTwilight
If it's your parents who are making you get a job then try and convince them to let you do chores around the house for money instead. If they insist on a job, maybe tell them that it'd be too much to manage along with GCSEs and other things. Or just go with it and find something that you enjoy doing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, yeah it is my parents.

Option 2 has failed for me so far, but I'll give option 1 a try.:cool:
Original post by Strom
Hi I'm 15.

I felt the same way when I got my first job at 16. It's a good thing to do. It teaches you responsibility, you make friends and you get money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Strom
Hi I'm 15.

It is worthwhile if you can get a job (I'm assuming part time or temporary), especially if you haven't had one before. I would seriously suggest you consider it. Your age will make it a bit trickier though. Why is that you don't want a job?
No it's not crazy but if you are constantly demanding money as most teenagers do then you can expect to be told to get a job. Those young people who do get jobs then begin to appreciate how lucky they have been.
Original post by EXTREMEninja
It is worthwhile if you can get a job (I'm assuming part time or temporary), especially if you haven't had one before. I would seriously suggest you consider it. Your age will make it a bit trickier though. Why is that you don't want a job?

I'm planning on staying in education for a long time so I really don't see it as vital. I'm aiming for Oxbridge so I'd rather study. I understand that it's a nice opportunity but I just don't feel it.

I've already got work experience as I volunteer at a museum, so there's no "coming-of-age discovery" for me.

I'm considering it but the fact I'd have to work with children puts me off even further. (I am REALLY bad with children.)
Original post by Strom
I'm planning on staying in education for a long time so I really don't see it as vital. I'm aiming for Oxbridge so I'd rather study. I understand that it's a nice opportunity but I just don't feel it.

I've already got work experience as I volunteer at a museum, so there's no "coming-of-age discovery" for me.

I'm considering it but the fact I'd have to work with children puts me off even further. (I am REALLY bad with children.)

I'm also planning to stay in education for a long time, and aiming for Oxbridge. I currently have a temporary job for the Summer. It is useful, it gives you experience of proper work, and the money isn't bad. You could save some for university. You could try and find something other than working with children, but sometimes we have to do stuff we don't like.

Anyway, it is your choice, but I would recommend it, at least for a few weeks.
Original post by EXTREMEninja
I'm also planning to stay in education for a long time, and aiming for Oxbridge. I currently have a temporary job for the Summer. It is useful, it gives you experience of proper work, and the money isn't bad. You could save some for university. You could try and find something other than working with children, but sometimes we have to do stuff we don't like.

Anyway, it is your choice, but I would recommend it, at least for a few weeks.

Nice to hear :smile: Thanks for the advice. I hope that I haven't come across as lazy.
Original post by Strom
Nice to hear :smile: Thanks for the advice. I hope that I haven't come across as lazy.

You're welcome. No, you haven't come across as lazy, because I can tell you will focus hard on your education. Still, it would be useful as experience for future jobs (When you leave education). If anything, look for some work experience in the field you want to go into :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest