The Student Room Group

What University Could I get into with these GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jellybanana
Haha no worries, I'm flattered by the attention!

I've just finished Year 12 and I'm going into Year 13. I'm not applying to uni this year actually, as I'd like a bit longer to decide if I should do a history or midwifery degree, but at the moment for history I'm looking at Oxford/Cambridge (I may as well haha, although I have to admit I'm not exactly confident), Durham, York, Norwich and Southampton. I'm going to go to some open days this year though. I did Edexcel history- option D if it matters :biggrin:

Yeh I mean one of my reasons for waiting till next year to apply is that I wanted a bit longer to prepare a good history application, so if you start your further reading early you'll be well prepared for next year :smile: I'd recommend you perhaps read some books that give you a good overview of British or World history (there'll be plenty in your local library, I've currently got one called 'A Peoples History of Britain' by Rebecca Fraser), and then do some further reading in any areas that take your fancy. What you're really trying to demonstrate to the university you apply to is that you have a real interest in the subject, so it's important you read books on topics that interest you (ideally that you haven't covered in school) so that your enthusiasm can really come across in your personal statement or at interview. For example, if you read a book on the Stuarts just because you felt you should and then they quizzed you about it at an interview, it might be hard to try and act all enthusiastic about history when you're having to talk about a topic you really hate. You might also want to read one or two critical history books as opposed to just narrative ones, as this can provide a good area for discussion in interviews. Oh, and try to watch history documentaries when they're on!

You've picked really good subjects for History, and I'm sure so long as you keep on top of your work this year you'll be able to get the grades to make a strong application :smile:

Thank you for the tips and advice :tongue:

Cool! I have friends in yr 12 that got pretty good grades for History for the June 2014 exams and it was Edexcel. Were the questions good....like easy to answer? Cause alot of them said that the paper was nice to them haha.

Sorry to be so nosy but:colondollar: what did you get for GCSE's?
Reply 21
Original post by gary1629
I got 4As, 5Bs and 3Cs. I know they're not brilliant but I just wanted to know if I got really good A Levels would I still be able to apply for a Russell Group University.

That's something like what I got. I was kind of disappointed but I think this will push me to work extra hard for A levels. But I know I can kiss goodbye to LSE :frown:
Original post by maceve
But I know I can kiss goodbye to LSE :frown:

How come?
Original post by Fluffystar123
Thank you for the tips and advice :tongue:

Cool! I have friends in yr 12 that got pretty good grades for History for the June 2014 exams and it was Edexcel. Were the questions good....like easy to answer? Cause alot of them said that the paper was nice to them haha.

Sorry to be so nosy but:colondollar: what did you get for GCSE's?

Yeh the paper was really good, you could tell what the question wanted and the ones I picked were quite broad and not about one very specific event so I could write down all the facts I'd crammed just before I walked into the exam hall :wink: I just have to pray I get lucky again next year!

I got 5 A's, 3 B's and 2 C's at GCSE and I just remember going on tsr after and feeling terrible because everyone was like 'YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE AN A* LOL UR DREAMS ARE OVER' but trust me, I heard some uni's don't even look at GCSE grades. Just do the best you can at next year :smile:
Yeh the paper was really good, you could tell what the question wanted and the ones I picked were quite broad and not about one very specific event so I could write down all the facts I'd crammed just before I walked into the exam hall :wink: I just have to pray I get lucky again next year!

I got 5 A's, 3 B's and 2 C's at GCSE and I just remember going on tsr after and feeling terrible because everyone was like 'YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE AN A* LOL UR DREAMS ARE OVER' but trust me, I heard some uni's don't even look at GCSE grades. Just do the best you can at next year :smile:

Yeah I felt the same way too. I was pretty gutted about my grades today. Ppl on TSR have fantastic grades :frown:
Thats a real achievement for you to do so well at AS. :smile: So will you be predicted an A* in history?
Original post by Fluffystar123
Yeah I felt the same way too. I was pretty gutted about my grades today. Ppl on TSR have fantastic grades :frown:
Thats a real achievement for you to do so well at AS. :smile: So will you be predicted an A* in history?

If you're the same as me, your grades could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise, because I was so bitter about everyone doing better than me (sounds awful but it's true haha) that I resolved to beat them next year, and trust me it feels so amazing to do better than some of the people who got like 9A*'s at GCSE! Some people get over confident and think they don't need to work hard, but unfortunately it really catches up with them when it really matters. I know a couple of GCSE high-flyers that got a bit of a shock come AS results day. You sound like you're willing to put in a bit more work next year though :smile: Don't worry, you don't need to spend like 4 hours every night revising, just make sure you listen in lessons, put a bit of effort into your homework and revise well for end of unit tests. Oh, and mark schemes are your next best friend! Make sure you know exactly how to word stuff to get the marks :smile:

Aw thank you :colondollar: I don't know, hopefully! I'm very worried Edexcel might have made a mistake though
If you're the same as me, your grades could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise, because I was so bitter about everyone doing better than me (sounds awful but it's true haha) that I resolved to beat them next year, and trust me it feels so amazing to do better than some of the people who got like 9A*'s at GCSE! Some people get over confident and think they don't need to work hard, but unfortunately it really catches up with them when it really matters. I know a couple of GCSE high-flyers that got a bit of a shock come AS results day. You sound like you're willing to put in a bit more work next year though :smile: Don't worry, you don't need to spend like 4 hours every night revising, just make sure you listen in lessons, put a bit of effort into your homework and revise well for end of unit tests. Oh, and mark schemes are your next best friend! Make sure you know exactly how to word stuff to get the marks :smile:

Aw thank you :colondollar: I don't know, hopefully! I'm very worried Edexcel might have made a mistake though

OMG thank you so much for replying to my posts. It has been really helpfull :u::smile::smile:
I was just quite shocked with my grades this time round because i did put in alot of effort.

Ill work hard next year....
Reply 27
Original post by O133
How come?

LSE require a string of A*s at GCSE, unfortunately I got mostly A grades
Original post by maceve
LSE require a string of A*s at GCSE, unfortunately I got mostly A grades

Well there are plenty of other top universities that aren't bothered what you get at GCSE so I wouldn't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest