The Student Room Group

worried about applying to LSE and UCL

im applying to southampton,bath,bristol,LSE and UCL. im really worried that my GCSES where I only got 1 9, 4 8s, 3 7s and 1 6( being in maths) will not be competitive enough for LSE and UCL. im predicted 3 A stars at A Level but im worried that i should be applying to unis with lower entry requirements and are less competitive.
What are you applying for. The one major issue can sometimes be your Maths grade especially for things like Computer Science, Psychology and Economics. That is something you need to look into. Other than that your grades are very good. UCL and LSE can be difficult and LSE has a huge rejection rate so you need to apply with your eyes wide open. You could possibly end up with rejections but other than the Maths grade your GCSE should be fine for the non London universities and you are likely to get offers from these 3 unless there is another reason.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
What are you applying for. The one major issue can sometimes be your Maths grade especially for things like Computer Science, Psychology and Economics. That is something you need to look into. Other than that your grades are very good. UCL and LSE can be difficult and LSE has a huge rejection rate so you need to apply with your eyes wide open. You could possibly end up with rejections but other than the Maths grade your GCSE should be fine for the non London universities and you are likely to get offers from these 3 unless there is another reason.

applying for politics
Original post by hahaaddie
applying for politics

The Maths grade shouldnt affect you then. Even if you are rejected from LSE and UCL you will probably get offers from Bath, Bristol and Southampton to choose from unless there is something else about your application. You only go to 1 university so you dont need 5 offers. If you wanted to remove LSE or UCL and go for a safer choice that is a matter for you.
Reply 4
Original post by hahaaddie
im applying to southampton,bath,bristol,LSE and UCL. im really worried that my GCSES where I only got 1 9, 4 8s, 3 7s and 1 6( being in maths) will not be competitive enough for LSE and UCL. im predicted 3 A stars at A Level but im worried that i should be applying to unis with lower entry requirements and are less competitive.

I had quite low A-level grades when I first started applying for University, even Universities such as Southampton and Surrey rejected me, but I did 2 conditional offers. So, you could apply with your current a-level target grades to those universities and see what they come back with. I ended up having better a-level grades and what you may potentially want to do, if you really want to go to LSE or UCL, take a gap year and gather some experience relevant to your degree and apply again if your a-level results ended up being better than predicted. The worst that could happen is that you get rejected by both and end up loving Southampton or Bath uni more, that's what typically happened with people who didn't get their 'dream university'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending