The Student Room Group

will unis still accept me with a bad gcse english language grades?

I got a grade 5 in english language gcse while a 6 in maths (which may get remarked for a 7) i want to study psychology in uni but most require a 6 in english language. Right now i'm doing a level bio, classical civilisations and psychology, if i get A's and A*s in my a levels would they be willing to overlook the bad gcse grade? in other writing gcses like RE and history i got a 9 and 7, im wondering if that would also help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DreamyParfait
I got a grade 5 in english language gcse while a 6 in maths (which may get remarked for a 7) i want to study psychology in uni but most require a 6 in english language. Right now i'm doing a level bio, classical civilisations and psychology, if i get A's and A*s in my a levels would they be willing to overlook the bad gcse grade? in other writing gcses like RE and history i got a 9 and 7, im wondering if that would also help.

If a university has a set GCSE subject grade you need to meet it or it is an automatic refusal. If you dont have it re sit it and show as pending on your ucas form. That way they will tag it as a condition to your A level grades.
^ This.
Reply 3
Resit it.
Reply 4
Is resitting really the only option? I don't have the money for a resit☹️

Yes or go elsewhere. If you dont meet an English GCSE grade it will be an automatic rejection unless you are resitting it.
Reply 6

Have you asked your parents if they could pay for it?
Reply 7

I can't see it being a big issue, probably depends on how high demand the universities you're applying at are but i'd think most would be fine with your gcse grades.
Reply 8
Original post by reeceb101
I can't see it being a big issue, probably depends on how high demand the universities you're applying at are but i'd think most would be fine with your gcse grades.

This is incorrect.If unis stipulate a grade for English it is a requirement.Please do not post things you know nothing about.
Reply 9

You could save up and resit in year13 where you will be given a predicted pending grade but it means you will have to wait for GCSE results in the August before your place is confirmed.If you could raise the money now would be better just to have it in the bag.

How much does resitting cost? How much will your university education cost? How tiny a fraction of the latter is the former?
I plan to take out student loans for uni, I can't afford otherwise. Me neither my parents have £1000 on hand to pay for the tuition and exam too, especially in this cost of living crisis, lucky those few who do.
I plan to take out student loans for uni, I can't afford otherwise. Me neither my parents have £1000 on hand to pay for the tuition and exam too, especially in this cost of living crisis, lucky those few who do.

In that case you could email some potential choices to see if there's any chance you might still be considered. But as above, GCSE requirements tend to be strict, so just brace yourself for a lot/all of them saying no.

Do you need to pay for tuition? You were very close last time. Could you find enough online resources to learn from and therefore only pay for the exam?
Reply 14
Original post by reeceb101

This is SO WRONG!! If basic entry requirements aren’t met an applicant will be filtered out directly. They won’t even bother looking at the rest of the application. Why should they when all other applicants do have the necessary grades.

Ask your old school thet'll be the cheapest to resit. Lots of free online resources - what grade did you get in Lit?
Also a 5🥲 I was predicted an 8 in both so I'm already quite upset

Resit then or look for a uni that will accept a grade 5. Have you got your papers back [it's free] to see where you went wrong?

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/psychology/psychbsc/#entry-requirements

Exeter only want a grade 5 ...
Reply 19
Original post by ageshallnot
Do you need to pay for tuition? You were very close last time. Could you find enough online resources to learn from and therefore only pay for the exam?

I see no reason why you could not improve your grade using free resources online and maybe your old teacher could give some feedback if they got copies of the scripts.You would only be doing one subject this time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending