The Student Room Group

Help..messed up my gcse exams

Advice needed please. Got my results today and I did so bad:
Maths - 4
English - 4,4
Science- 5,4
Geography,French,RS,Computers -3
Business 5

My aim was to do alevels so I could go into dentistry, but now I won't even get the chance to do any alevels.

I don't what path to take anymore. Should I go back to school and retake, or is their a BTech i can do which will allow me a route to get a degree.

My family is so disappointed in me and its been a crazy day at different schools where no one will accept me to take any alevels
Original post by Kal26uk
Maths - 4
English - 4,4
Science- 5,4
Business 5

My aim was to do alevels so I could go into dentistry, but now I won't even get the chance to do any alevels.

I don't what path to take anymore. Should I go back to school and retake, or is their a BTech i can do which will allow me a route to get a degree.

My family is so disappointed in me and its been a crazy day at different schools where no one will accept me to take any alevels

Take a look through the "Entry requirements for UK dental schools" (2023 entry), here. There are very few where you'd meet the GCSE requirements, so even if you could gain entry to A levels, or take the BTEC route, I think those GCSEs are going to be a problem anyway.

Newcastle University Dental School | Dental Surgery BDS (A206) - a 5 year course - say they need "Minimum of a pass grade in Maths, English and a relevant Science qualification" at GCSE (great), but they don't accept BTECs

University of Bristol Dental School | Gateway to Dentistry BDS (A208) - a 6 year course which is "only open to UK applicants who meet specific widening participation criteria" say they'll take "4 (C) in GCSE Maths or equivalent (Standard numeracy requirement) and 4 (C) in GCSE English or equivalent (Standard literacy requirement)." They'll also accept certain BTECs.

University of Leeds Dental School | Interdisciplinary Science with Foundation Year BSc, progressing onto Dental Surgery MChD/BChD, Oral Sciences BSc (CFG0) - another 6 year course which is "only open to applicants that meet specific widening participation criteria" - want "GCSE: English, mathematics and science at grade C/4 or above."

I think your best option might be some GCSE retakes, unfortunately, if you want to pursue dentistry. It just doesn't seem sensible to plough on with a BTEC (or A levels) in the hope of trying to take advantage of the few options potentially available to you (see above). :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Take a look through the "Entry requirements for UK dental schools" (2023 entry), here. There are very few where you'd meet the GCSE requirements, so even if you could gain entry to A levels, or take the BTEC route, I think those GCSEs are going to be a problem anyway.

Newcastle University Dental School | Dental Surgery BDS (A206) - a 5 year course - say they need "Minimum of a pass grade in Maths, English and a relevant Science qualification" at GCSE (great), but they don't accept BTECs

University of Bristol Dental School | Gateway to Dentistry BDS (A208) - a 6 year course which is "only open to UK applicants who meet specific widening participation criteria" say they'll take "4 (C) in GCSE Maths or equivalent (Standard numeracy requirement) and 4 (C) in GCSE English or equivalent (Standard literacy requirement)." They'll also accept certain BTECs.

University of Leeds Dental School | Interdisciplinary Science with Foundation Year BSc, progressing onto Dental Surgery MChD/BChD, Oral Sciences BSc (CFG0) - another 6 year course which is "only open to applicants that meet specific widening participation criteria" - want "GCSE: English, mathematics and science at grade C/4 or above."

I think your best option might be some GCSE retakes, unfortunately, if you want to pursue dentistry. It just doesn't seem sensible to plough on with a BTEC (or A levels) in the hope of trying to take advantage of the few options potentially available to you (see above). :frown:

Thanks .

What about if I was to do a bio medical science degree (3yrs) and from there apply for dentistry?
Reply 3
You didn't do bad, you did well. You passed your core subjects. There will be opportunities it there, you might just need to go to a different college.
Reply 4
I'd resit. If you really want to pursue dentistry you're going to have to resit anyway as its a highly competitive field and you'll be at a significant disadvantage if you attempt to continue with these grades. Even then, if you really wanted to excel in a different career path, you don't really have any top grades at all. If you can, you can try and take a year out of school and attend an online GCSE course that matches the exam boards you sat and give them a go again next summer. An earlier gap year, if you will.
Reply 5
Original post by riverw
I'd resit. If you really want to pursue dentistry you're going to have to resit anyway as its a highly competitive field and you'll be at a significant disadvantage if you attempt to continue with these grades. Even then, if you really wanted to excel in a different career path, you don't really have any top grades at all. If you can, you can try and take a year out of school and attend an online GCSE course that matches the exam boards you sat and give them a go again next summer. An earlier gap year, if you will.

I'm thinking that if I did applied science, social care and ICT, this is the equivalent to 3 alevels and will get me on a biomedical science degree. I would do my degree and then could apply for a dentistry degree, so another 4 years.
Reply 6
Original post by Kal26uk
I'm thinking that if I did applied science, social care and ICT, this is the equivalent to 3 alevels and will get me on a biomedical science degree. I would do my degree and then could apply for a dentistry degree, so another 4 years.

It could work, just depends wether its even worth bothering with dentistry at that point if you are willing to get a biomed degree beforehand. Its up to you though
Original post by Kal26uk
Thanks .

What about if I was to do a bio medical science degree (3yrs) and from there apply for dentistry?

It's possible. If you could get entry to a college offering a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels) in Applied Science, and if you achieved grades DMM in it, then you'd meet the current entry requirements for Biomedical Sciences BSc at Birmingham City University, for example. (source)

Please be careful about taking three separate BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificates (worth 1 A level each). Check the entry requirements for your target universities carefully. Many don't seem keen on these qualifications, preferring the single Extended Diploma (in the right subject) instead.
Reply 8
Original post by Kal26uk
Maths - 4
English - 4,4
Science- 5,4
Business 5

personally I would just stay away from Btech and focus on resitting as you already know the content and are familiar with the exam boards and style of questions for each. You didn't do that bad, a 5 in science was decent.

I would research different dentistry schools and their GCSE requirements, e.g. do they look at all your GCSE's and rank them before giving offers, do they mainly care about UCAT and A level results, do they only need e.g. 7's in maths, English and science, etc, then according to that you can start revising for the subjects you'll be retaking.

For science just use the CGP guide, it's the best resource. There's a channel on YouTube called EmmaTeachie or something where she summarises the whole combined science content in around 2 hours which I watched before my resit and it was so helpful !! For maths I'd use maths genie.

Good luck, I know today must've been really disappointing but I promise you as long as you're determined this won't be the end of the road, you've got this :smile: !!!!

Quick Reply

Latest