The Student Room Group

Maths at A level?

Hi, I've been thinking a lot about the A levels that I will pick to study at college, and I am really interested in doing Computing to go on to maybe do computer science at uni or something. However, I'm not sure what other A levels to take alongside it. I have looked at the website and everyone suggested to do Maths at A level since it goes good with Computing, and it will help me a lot in any future career. The thing is, in GCSE I got a B in Maths, and although that's required to do A level I think I will really struggle.

Many people have said that A level Maths is the hardest one there is, and it's a giant leap from GCSE making it hard for any new person. I struggled at GCSE and it was only because I put in the effort that I somehow managed to get a B. Now if I were to take A level Maths I would revise a lot, and will do for each of my other subjects. What do you think I should do?
Reply 1
Lots of places will ask for maths as part of your offer for CS. I would try and make an effort with it, otherwise you are limiting yourself. Some of it, you'll probably have to get to grips with eventually, so you may as well do it now.

It's not the hardest a-level out there, but if you're not naturally comfortable with maths then it just means you have to put the work and effort in. Don't be afraid to ask for help at all, that's what the tutors are there for. It's by far one of the easiest subjects to do well in, in my opinion, because there's so much past paper content available and simply put: it's all about practice. Have a lesson, learn something, then go and sit and do problems based on it for a while. It's very systematic, so as long as you keep on top of it (allocate yourself a few hours each week to go over what you've done in class).

It will be daunting, but really, just ask for the help and support. Let them know early on that you're struggling (if you are), because you've got the time to sort it out. Try and stay positive, and at the very worst, get a private tutor for a few hours if things are looking really dire. Seriously, trade a birthday present in for it or something, because it will influence where you go with your course and life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hitspatch
Hi, I've been thinking a lot about the A levels that I will pick to study at college, and I am really interested in doing Computing to go on to maybe do computer science at uni or something. However, I'm not sure what other A levels to take alongside it. I have looked at the website and everyone suggested to do Maths at A level since it goes good with Computing, and it will help me a lot in any future career. The thing is, in GCSE I got a B in Maths, and although that's required to do A level I think I will really struggle.

Many people have said that A level Maths is the hardest one there is, and it's a giant leap from GCSE making it hard for any new person. I struggled at GCSE and it was only because I put in the effort that I somehow managed to get a B. Now if I were to take A level Maths I would revise a lot, and will do for each of my other subjects. What do you think I should do?

As far as I'm aware, you can't study Computer Science without Maths. Some unis require Physics as well, and Further Maths is often preferable.

A level Maths is hard, but it's not the hardest A level there is! :laugh: That's very subjective, and if Further Maths and Additional Further Maths exist then it's actually impossible for Maths to be the hardest... but I digress.

With a B at GCSE then Maths is likely to be a struggle, as it is a step up. However, it isn't impossible to get a good grade at A level from a B - just much more difficult. If you work really hard, and maybe get a tutor outside of school for Maths, then you can probably do it.

Do you have any other interests around Computing that may be less maths-y, just in case?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LeFailFish
As far as I'm aware, you can't study Computer Science without Maths. Some unis require Physics as well, and Further Maths is often preferable.

A level Maths is hard, but it's not the hardest A level there is! :laugh: That's very subjective, and if Further Maths and Additional Further Maths exist then it's actually impossible for Maths to be the hardest... but I digress.

With a B at GCSE then Maths is likely to be a struggle, as it is a step up. However, it isn't impossible to get a good grade at A level from a B - just much more difficult. If you work really hard, and maybe get a tutor outside of school for Maths, then you can probably do it.

Do you have any other interests around Computing that may be less maths-y, just in case?

Thanks, that's what I thought as well. As for other interests, I don't have many that would go well with computing, or possibly let me get into computing. That's one of the main reasons why I was considering maths as well, due to the fact that I don't really know what other courses to take.
Reply 4
Thanks, that's what I thought as well. As for other interests, I don't have many that would go well with computing, or possibly let me get into computing. That's one of the main reasons why I was considering maths as well, due to the fact that I don't really know what other courses to take.

What else are you good at (and don't hate)? With maths under your belt you at least have a reasonable amount of options open (even if you don't go on and do physics or other things they "prefer"). I would pick something you can do well in, and enjoy doing enough, so it takes the pressure off a bit and frees up the time so you can make sure maths is going okay.
Reply 5
Original post by Nymthae
What else are you good at (and don't hate)? With maths under your belt you at least have a reasonable amount of options open (even if you don't go on and do physics or other things they "prefer"). I would pick something you can do well in, and enjoy doing enough, so it takes the pressure off a bit and frees up the time so you can make sure maths is going okay.

At school I didn't enjoy many subjects, I did sort of like science (mainly biology). But I think if I did do any sciences at A level, it wouldn't really take the pressure off as I bet the workload for science will be quite demanding alongside maths. I was thinking of maybe taking a BTEC subject or something, just so I don't have to study a lot for it, and it could take some pressure off. That being said, there aren't many BTEC courses I would like to take and it could limit my options of getting into uni if I decided to go.
Reply 6

DO NOT DO AS MATHS IF YOU GOT A B.

My maths tutor recommended high A for normal maths and even people who achieve this fail.

This isn't Mickey Mouse gcse maths where you're asked (m^-2)^5.

Most people achieving B In maths and decide to do a level maths achieve Ds, Es and Us
Reply 7
Original post by Nymthae
Lots of places will ask for maths as part of your offer for CS. I would try and make an effort with it, otherwise you are limiting yourself. Some of it, you'll probably have to get to grips with eventually, so you may as well do it now.

It's not the hardest a-level out there, but if you're not naturally comfortable with maths then it just means you have to put the work and effort in. Don't be afraid to ask for help at all, that's what the tutors are there for. It's by far one of the easiest subjects to do well in, in my opinion, because there's so much past paper content available and simply put: it's all about practice. Have a lesson, learn something, then go and sit and do problems based on it for a while. It's very systematic, so as long as you keep on top of it (allocate yourself a few hours each week to go over what you've done in class).

It will be daunting, but really, just ask for the help and support. Let them know early on that you're struggling (if you are), because you've got the time to sort it out. Try and stay positive, and at the very worst, get a private tutor for a few hours if things are looking really dire. Seriously, trade a birthday present in for it or something, because it will influence where you go with your course and life.

Thanks, I only just saw this reply. Sorry for being so late. Anyway this is really great advice. I am willing to put in a lot of effort to get a good grade, and thought that after every lesson I will go over what I've learnt and keep practising problems until I have a grip on it, and at the end of the week I will go over everything I learnt the past week and make sure I haven't forgot any of it.

If I do take up Maths I plan to get a revision book and many different sources to revise from, and will possibly get a tutor if it comes to it. I think the reason why I'm scared to pick it is because I don't want to be left behind in the lesson, I always hated it when people would finish problems and I would still be far behind. But maybe since I am willing to put a lot of effort in I could hopefully get a decent grade.

Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Vixanate
DO NOT DO AS MATHS IF YOU GOT A B.

My maths tutor recommended high A for normal maths and even people who achieve this fail.

This isn't Mickey Mouse gcse maths where you're asked (m^-2)^5.

Most people achieving B In maths and decide to do a level maths achieve Ds, Es and Us

That's one of my main worries, I don't want to pick it if I will really struggle, but I want to do something related to computing at uni, and I feel like maths is very relevant.
Reply 9
That's one of my main worries, I don't want to pick it if I will really struggle, but I want to do something related to computing at uni, and I feel like maths is very relevant.

AAA/A is better than AAAD in AS. My tutor have me a booklet which is meant to bridge gap between gcse maths and c1 and it's difficult.

Btw, what the requirements for computing at your college?
Reply 10
AAA/A is better than AAAD in AS. My tutor have me a booklet which is meant to bridge gap between gcse maths and c1 and it's difficult.

Btw, what the requirements for computing at your college?

Yeah, I think I will really struggle with it. And for computing it's 5 GCSEs between A*-C with a B in maths and a C in English Language.
Reply 11
Yeah, I think I will really struggle with it. And for computing it's 5 GCSEs between A*-C with a B in maths and a C in English Language.

Dy have any knowledge of computing?

And are you able to do these questions? If you're unable to get 90%, you'll struggle
If you're natural gifted at maths then A level is not difficult at all, however if you're not naturally gifted at it it's probably one of the hardest ones. Tbh, if you choose 3 other subjects that you know you can do fairly well in, there isn't any harm doing maths too. If you really hate it/struggle you can always drop it, though it is required at a lot of unis to do computer science. Just remember to not focus ALL your time doing maths if you're really struggling, you'll end up with a mediocre maths grade & your other subjects will suffer.

I personally would say do take it, but choose 3 other solid subjects & prepare to work your arse off.
Reply 13
Dy have any knowledge of computing?

And are you able to do these questions? If you're unable to get 90%, you'll struggle

I know basic programming, mainly in JavaScript but I don't know if that will help, and the college requires you to have no formal education in computing to take up the course.
Dude, it is a conceptual subject and therefore it should be harder but by no means should that put you off. I got a B at gcse and I was so pissed even though I knew I wasn't brilliant so I worked harder (lol even though I thought I did enough work for gcse) and I got an A at AS 100/100 C1, 95/100 C2, 89/100 S1....... Hoping to get an A* next year (dream big) woo

Posted from TSR Mobile

As others have said, you will need Maths for Computer Science. It depends on why you got a B at GCSE. Slip up in the exam? Didn't have a very good teacher? If you worked very hard, and still got a B, then A level will be tough, but if you want to do Comp Sci, then it is a must.

Perhaps take a look at either the website examsolutions, or Khan Academy. They both have excellent videos on A level topics. Core 1 is where you should start.
Reply 16
Original post by EXTREMEninja
As others have said, you will need Maths for Computer Science. It depends on why you got a B at GCSE. Slip up in the exam? Didn't have a very good teacher? If you worked very hard, and still got a B, then A level will be tough, but if you want to do Comp Sci, then it is a must.

Perhaps take a look at either the website examsolutions, or Khan Academy. They both have excellent videos on A level topics. Core 1 is where you should start.

I use Khan academy daily, but my target for year 11 was in fact a D in year 10, then it went to a C in year 11 and then I got a B by just revising a lot. My teachers were great, I think I just started revising too late.
I use Khan academy daily, but my target for year 11 was in fact a D in year 10, then it went to a C in year 11 and then I got a B by just revising a lot. My teachers were great, I think I just started revising too late.

Have a look at some of the A level videos then, if you haven't already :smile:

Make sure if you do decide to do the A level, that you start preparing early. Go over notes from lessons etc, and complete all homework you are given. You can't afford to revise late for A levels.
Reply 18
Original post by EXTREMEninja
Have a look at some of the A level videos then, if you haven't already :smile:

Make sure if you do decide to do the A level, that you start preparing early. Go over notes from lessons etc, and complete all homework you are given. You can't afford to revise late for A levels.

That was my plan! Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest