The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have fun, learn more, improve personal skills, further job prospects, time management, money management, move away from home(independance), meet new people...the list is endless.

All this stuff about degrees being worthless is absolute bollocks Im afraid. How can getting an extremely respected qualifcation NOT give your job prospects a boost. Maybe a degree in a shit subject is worthless, but a degree in the sciences/medicine/law is about as far from worthless as you can get. And graduate level jobs are very well paid as it is. Besides, what else is there to do if you dont go to University? Start working, earn £15k a year in some dead end job that is

a) boring
b) with a bunch of people you dont like
c) without any opportunies for promotion or to further your career

You have nothing to LOSE by going to University, so if you have the chance, you might as well go.
Reply 21
serious stuff
Have fun, learn more, improve personal skills, further job prospects, time management, money management, move away from home(independance), meet new people...the list is endless.

All this stuff about degrees being worthless is absolute bollocks Im afraid. How can getting an extremely respected qualifcation NOT give your job prospects a boost. Maybe a degree in a shit subject is worthless, but a degree in the sciences/medicine/law is about as far from worthless as you can get. And graduate level jobs are very well paid as it is. Besides, what else is there to do if you dont go to University? Start working, earn £15k a year in some dead end job that is

a) boring

You have nothing to LOSE by going to University, so if you have the chance, you might as well go.

It's only the people who get a BA in 'Sitting on your arse all day in a council flat collecting the dole' who need to worry about job prospects.
serious stuff

a) boring

How is it bollocks? There are only so many law jobs and yet endless law degrees? If you don't go to university you can still be very successful. I know of people who didn't even do A-levels and are far more successful than people who did do them and went to university. And what's wrong with a 15k salary? Who says the people aren't going to very nice? And there are tons of opportunities to work your way up! You do have things to lose, ie. a lot of cash.
Reply 23
The power of a good degree is more far-reaching than people think. For example, most accountants are actually law graduates.
happysunshine
How is it bollocks? There are only so many law jobs and yet endless law degrees? If you don't go to university you can still be very successful. I know of people who didn't even do A-levels and are far more successful than people who did do them and went to university. And what's wrong with a 15k salary? Who says the people aren't going to very nice? And there are tons of opportunities to work your way up! You do have things to lose, ie. a lot of cash.

Alot of cash? Unless youre absolutely useless at money management its not gonna cost you more than £15k at present and £20k when top up fees come in. Given that on average a graduate will earn about £400k more than a non graduate in their lifetime Id say its a worthwhile investment. What do you mean whats wrong with £15k? I did a summer job that would of earnt me £15k had I worked there all year - I could barely live on that even as an A level student - how do you expect someone to buy a decent house/car/etc with 15k a year. Tons of opportunities? Dont kid yourself.

The average british household is also in debt by about £10k a year - about as much as a University education costs. And about 90% of these households are made up of people without degrees...
Reply 25
ZJuwelH
The power of a good degree is more far-reaching than people think. For example, most accountants are actually law graduates.

word.
serious stuff
Alot of cash? Unless youre absolutely useless at money management its not gonna cost you more than £15k at present and £20k when top up fees come in. Given that on average a graduate will earn about £400k more than a non graduate in their lifetime Id say its a worthwhile investment. What do you mean whats wrong with £15k? I did a summer job that would of earnt me £15k had I worked there all year - I could barely live on that even as an A level student - how do you expect someone to buy a decent house/car/etc with 15k a year. Tons of opportunities? Dont kid yourself.

The average british household is also in debt by about £10k a year - about as much as a University education costs. And about 90% of these households are made up of people without degrees...

£15,000 - £20,000! Not a lot? Well considering as you say you would've earnt £15,000 if you stayed in your job, the average salary of a person working in advertising gets £17,000 which is little difference and three or four years wasted. Says who, that a person who does A-levels and then courses such as HNDs will be less successful than the degree holder? I mean how many people can earn 400k more than those without degrees, can Timmy from TVU as well?

15k. Rofl, get in the real world mate. You aren't going to start on 40k even if you are a graduate. So you'll have to get used to your poor sum of 15k and starve. I do not see why it is not possible to survive on 15k, in fact it is quite bloody easy espescially if you are in a relationship. But of course, mansions and BMWs are probably out of the question, but hey, I'm sure it's the same for the 21 year old graduate. There are bloody oppourtunities, you can study things over than degrees (without the massive debt) or you can work your way up.

LOL, where did you get that figure from? Are you sure you're not talking about a mortgage?
Reply 27
I think the biggest benefit may be later in life. For example once you're 40 years old 3 years extra work experience won't make any difference. If you have a degee you will stand out and find it easier to find work.

However I am not quite so convinced about the short term benifets. I have gained a lot of confidence during my degree and learn't alot about management and team work but aren't these stuff you learn in a job anyway?
Reply 28
happysunshine
£15,000 - £20,000! Not a lot? Well considering as you say you would've earnt £15,000 if you stayed in your job, the average salary of a person working in advertising gets £17,000 which is little difference and three or four years wasted. Says who, that a person who does A-levels and then courses such as HNDs will be less successful than the degree holder? I mean how many people can earn 400k more than those without degrees, can Timmy from TVU as well?

15k. Rofl, get in the real world mate. You aren't going to start on 40k even if you are a graduate. So you'll have to get used to your poor sum of 15k and starve. I do not see why it is not possible to survive on 15k, in fact it is quite bloody easy espescially if you are in a relationship. But of course, mansions and BMWs are probably out of the question, but hey, I'm sure it's the same for the 21 year old graduate. There are bloody oppourtunities, you can study things over than degrees (without the massive debt) or you can work your way up.

LOL, where did you get that figure from? Are you sure you're not talking about a mortgage?

A lot of graduates start on around 20k.
Lord Huntroyde
A lot of graduates start on around 20k.

Says who? How many graduates can start on this amount, all or just the top?
Reply 30
happysunshine
Says who? How many graduates can start on this amount, all or just the top?

The top start on 20-25. I don't plan on being a middling graduate.
Reply 31
well my desire to go to university has nothing to do with getting a better job - just the fact that i skive off work for 3 whole years! i dont really care how much i get paid - just so long as i can support myself. what exactly would i do with over 50,000? i am earning a whopping 7-8,000 a year at the moment, but its enough to pay rent and go out a bit. if you want kids, i suppose maybe uni is essential cos you know that even if you have no personality or talent you can get a job thatll pay over 15,000. saying that, 2 graduates with over 3 years of work experience applied for my job!?!?!?! makes you wonder really. i think i lot of the people who are really successful - not just doing some dull graduate job you dont need a degree for anyway - like branson had nothing when he started up virgin. a degree does give you some security - ie, youll easily get an office job if nothuing else. having said that i did some holiday work in a factory once, and someone else on the line was 30 and a cambridge graduate... packing boxes of paper for a living... why bother?
It's the cheapest way of getting myself a foothold in London and making contacts, as well as the Student Union selling cheap booze
Reply 33
i don't have to live in the 'real world' for another 4 years so i can put off the rest of my life, growing up etc. i can have fun with people my own age with no responsibilities and i can get a decent job when i graduate.

lou xxx
Reply 34
fishpaste
To meet lots of cool people. Personal development. That sort of thing.

^^
and learn some maths.
2 live alone far away from ma family
Reply 36
To get a degree in Sport & Exercise Science and Physical Education, play baseball and hopefully get signed to pro contract.
make loads of new friends, have the time of my life, study the subject that i love, to become independent and hopefully learn how to use an iron (i'm told the ironing fairy really doesn't exist :eek: ).
Reply 38
ironing? ah, you dont need that! just wear fitted t-shirts that the creases stretch out of.
fifi53
ironing? ah, you dont need that! just wear fitted t-shirts that the creases stretch out of.

lol, it's an idea. i could have an entire wardrobe made out of lycra! :biggrin: :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending