The Student Room Group

My parents don't want me to go to university

My parents don't want me to go to uni. They want me to do a degree apprenticeship instead. I get that financially this is a good option, but we can definitely afford it and it would be worth the cost. I really want the experience of university, also I am very sporty so I want to be able to play my sport at a high level in university. Another thing is: I want to make my own way in the world. Basically, when I finish school, I want to go away to university and after that make my own way in the world. I don't want to stay at home when I'm an adult. I just don't want my whole future and this once in a lifetime opportunity to be taken away from me. Please help if you can.
Reply 1
Original post by A-tlm
My parents don't want me to go to uni. They want me to do a degree apprenticeship instead. I get that financially this is a good option, but we can definitely afford it and it would be worth the cost. I really want the experience of university, also I am very sporty so I want to be able to play my sport at a high level in university. Another thing is: I want to make my own way in the world. Basically, when I finish school, I want to go away to university and after that make my own way in the world. I don't want to stay at home when I'm an adult. I just don't want my whole future and this once in a lifetime opportunity to be taken away from me. Please help if you can.

You are the one studying - it's your choice not your parents. [I'm a teacher and a parent]
Original post by Muttley79
You are the one studying - it's your choice not your parents. [I'm a teacher and a parent]

Not if the parents are expected to make a significant financial contribution. Sorry. Whether you agree or not, some parents do not feel a degree offers good value for money.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Not if the parents are expected to make a significant financial contribution. Sorry. Whether you agree or not, some parents do not feel a degree offers good value for money.

That's crazy - they are a parent who should be supporting their child's choice - why are you anon btw? The student pays back the loan ... there's no mention of the subject so how can you be sure the degree is not the better choice?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by A-tlm

Have they given any reasons why they don't want you to go direct to university? If not, you can ask them (in a really nice way, if possible) in case there are reasons that they haven't wanted to reveal to you. Of course, they might not tell you the real reason, which might be anything from not being able to help you out financially (home finances are not always as they seem, unfortunately), to being concerned that you would not cope (you sound very resourceful, however), to not wanting to 'lose' you. A large percentage of the population does go to university nowadays - did your parents? if so, they may feel it doesn't offer the advantage as perhaps it once did. If you find an appropriate apprenticeship, career-wise, that might make more sense, but, as you say, you want to experience university life.
Original post by A-tlm

Hi there, options about starting University or other higher level education can be difficult. I agree with you that University is often quite a good option. You can study a course that interests you whilst trying all sorts of different activities. Many people also gain independence and responsibility by going to University.

Have you spoken to your parents about why they do not want you going to University? It would help if you understand their worries: the costs of University, or you moving out. If you are able to know the reason behind their opinions perhaps it would help. I know that a degree apprenticeship is a good opportunity, however it is quite different from University. Ultimately the decision of where to study is yours, so take your time to research and think through both options before coming up with a decision.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
I’d go and do a UCAS form right now you’ll get stuff through the post so you’ll probably be asked why your getting it you answer should be some thing like “apprenticeships are competitive and I thought I should have a plan B.” That should mollify them some what when it comes to finance that may be a sticking point. You’ll need to convince them it’s just part of your “backup” I don’t know much about apprenticeships you might get finance for them anyway I don’t know. Get your parents to fill in their part first whatever fill in your part at collage or something and send it off. The Icing on the cake is to do badly on the interview on purpose and hopefully job done.
Original post by A-tlm

Hi there,

I totally understand both sides but I have a few things to consider:
- you may find that when you graduate, you might have to move home for a couple of years (after being used to living independently). It's really challenging to find accommodation as a graduate as well as take time to find the right job.
- Debt from your student loans may take a long time to pay off if you manage to. It's a big consideration and I wouldn't do it unless you saw direct benefits with the job that you want to go into.
- You can take part in community sports clubs as an adult.

I totally understand how tempting university can be and you should definitely pursue it as a consideration, attend open days and learn more about the pros and cons. However, it's important to be realistic about the lifestyle and the costs. I wouldn't worry majorly about what your family thinks as you're the one that has to live with your choice, but it's important to consider both sides in making your decision.

I hope that this helps a little and good luck in whatever you pursue!

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by A-tlm

@A-tlm

What is it that you are planning to study?

For certain careers, you need a degree but not for everything. Tuition fees are expensive and though there is the option of a student loan, it is still debt! They may be funding available that might help reduce your costs e.g. a scholarship or a bursary but remember if you move away from home there is the cost of student accommodation, even before you consider money for day-to-day life. University is very expensive and there's no guarantee unless you study a subject tailored towards a specific degree that you will get a job in your subject area. Many people study subjects and end up working in a completely different area, for some that might not be a problem (because they had/still have a passion for their subject) but for others they may be a sense of wasted money and time at university : (

You need to talk to your parents and you need to explain how important it is for you to go to university, but be willing to hear their side too. It may have taken them a long time to pay of their student debt, or they may have seen people advance who didn't go to university but instead worked their way up and who are now in a good position without a degree.

A degree apprenticeship as the name implies doesn't mean that you would not go to university, it just means aside from being at university, you would spend time practically putting your knowledge to use. I think a degree apprenticeship would help you to be independent. As another person has said, a lot of students are independent at university and then have to go back home while they wait to get a job that pays enough for them to move out.

Yes, there is the social aspect of university. Meeting peers from up and down the country, the chance to join different societies, to live with friends and to grow in your knowledge about yourself and what means it to be independent, but uni can also be a lonely experience for some, it can be stressful living with strangers or you can struggle to find people to share with. Your timetable might not allow you to join the societies that you would most prefer and budgeting while also trying to enjoy being independent can be tough.

In short, a degree apprenticeship might not be a bad thing, but if you do want to go to university then make sure that you take a realistic view of what life might be like at uni and post-university too.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending