The Student Room Group

Which degree path is better

I’ve got 2 options that I’m both equally interested but I’m more concerned about which would give me the best outcome in the future if I want to go into law.
Going to a Russell group university to study criminology and then doing a law conversion and LLM or,
Going to non-RG university for law llb and hopefully then doing an LLM at an RG
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Lance3762
I’ve got 2 options that I’m both equally interested but I’m more concerned about which would give me the best outcome in the future if I want to go into law.
Going to a Russell group university to study criminology and then doing a law conversion and LLM or,

Definitely the first option if you're interested in studying criminology and the RG university is significantly higher ranked than the non-RG university. Because law firms hire a 50/50 split of law/non-law students.
Reply 3
Original post by toxicgamage56
Definitely the first option if you're interested in studying criminology and the RG university is significantly higher ranked than the non-RG university. Because law firms hire a 50/50 split of law/non-law students.

The RG is Uni of Notts and the non-RG is trent
The RG is Uni of Notts and the non-RG is trent

Choose Notts 100%
Reply 5
Choose Notts 100%

My only worry is getting bored of the criminology course since I know I defo want to do law.

Is an LLB at trent then an LLM at an RG really much worse?
My only worry is getting bored of the criminology course since I know I defo want to do law.

Is an LLB at trent then an LLM at an RG really much worse?

I know Notts is a target university for law firms, so that's why I suggested it. However, not worth doing a degree you'd hate so if you really want to go Trent then you probably should.
Reply 7
I know Notts is a target university for law firms, so that's why I suggested it. However, not worth doing a degree you'd hate so if you really want to go Trent then you probably should.

I’d aim to do my LLM at Notts either way as I know I’m smart enough to get there and just had a slip up this year which is why I’m considering trent

Hi @Lance3762

Although many people have the misconception that top firms only hire from Oxbridge or RG universities, this is not necessarily the case. What is actually more important, is that you have a good mark in your degree, therefore, I would recommend doing the degree you would actually prefer to do as this will definitely help you to achieve the highest grade you can in your undergraduate. Another important thing to consider is the amount of time you want to be in education and the cost of this. If you choose to do the conversion you will be adding another year of education before you qualify and, unless you achieve a TC or a scholarship which are very competitive, then you will have to likely self fund this conversion entirely as well as your living costs (unless you do this conversion as a MA then you will not be able to access a student loan to cover the cost). I am just finishing the MA Law (conversion) at the University of Law having studied an English degree at Exeter so I am certainly not against the conversion course. However, I mainly did this route because I didn't want to study law when I left school and came to the decision later. At the end of the day, whichever course you choose, as long as you apply yourself and get a high grade in your degree then you should be absolutely fine pursuing a career in law :smile:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending