The Student Room Group

Should I have finished sixth form college to keep the uni door open

And risked failing my A Levels and then after sixth form college not study anymore (if that's what I want), or is it the best decision for me to drop out with passes at AS Level and not study anymore?
Reply 1
Does it matter? This was what, 5 years ago? Stop dwelling on it and move on. If you want to go to university, you can get in without doing A Levels. People have been through this with you on multiple occasions.
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
Does it matter? This was what, 5 years ago? Stop dwelling on it and move on. If you want to go to university, you can get in without doing A Levels. People have been through this with you on multiple occasions.

You mean easier routes to university.
Reply 3
Original post by Anony345533
You mean easier routes to university.

I can't comment on the difficulty of different routes. But any route to university is a route if university is your goal.
Reply 4
I can't comment on the difficulty of different routes. But any route to university is a route if university is your goal.

I heard BTEC students struggle at university and not everyone can cope with university. Say I wanted to do academics at uni BTEC and Access courses are not going to prepare me for uni is it? People prefer the easier routes to uni but I prefer the harder route.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
I heard BTEC students struggle at university and not everyone can cope with university. Say I wanted to do academics BTEC and Access courses are not going to prepare me for uni is it? People prefer the easier routes to uni but I prefer the harder route.

Plenty of people who do A-Levels struggle with uni, just like plenty of people who do BTECs don't.
Looking for excuses not to do something is by far the easiest route of all though.
Reply 6
Plenty of people who do A-Levels struggle with uni, just like plenty of people who do BTECs don't.
Looking for excuses not to do something is by far the easiest route of all though.

And how would I cope with uni and studying if I am underweight? That's another question.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
And how would I cope with uni if I am underweight? That's another question.

Well perhaps uni should not be your primary goal to focus on just now
Reply 8
Well perhaps uni should not be your primary goal to focus on just now

Teachers thought I had potential, family think studying is not for me because I make myself ill by losing weight and I can't balance my time and I overdo things but I always achieve so I don't really know what to do. I want to go to uni, but my family want me to do an apprenticeship and I am letting them make my decisions for me and take over my life.

Honestly I would rather just not do anything.
Reply 9

So why do people say dropping out of A Levels to do other courses and go to university is going to change my life? And there are usually higher entry requirements for A Levels than BTECs. I can't do medicine with BTEC can I?
So why do people say dropping out of A Levels to do other courses and go to university is going to change my life? And there are usually higher entry requirements for A Levels than BTECs. I can't do medicine with BTEC can I?

Because if you dropped out of A-levels, you can't go to university but if you get an equivalent qualification, you can? No idea about BTEC and medicine, sorry.
Reply 11
Because if you dropped out of A-levels, you can't go to university but if you get an equivalent qualification, you can? No idea about BTEC and medicine, sorry.

No as in say with A Levels you plan to go into medicine, if you choose a different qualification it will change your life and you can't go to uni to study medicine.
Reply 12

But people would prefer to just graduate and go to uni without thinking about the long term impacts on your life like not being able to study medicine if you were to drop out of A Levels to do BTEC. People say "you can still go to uni with BTEC, some of my friends are at russell group universities, I would do a BTEC" and after dropping out "it's not worth it".
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 13

And then you say any route is a route to university if university is your goal.
And then you say any route is a route to university if university is your goal.

Yes, any route is fine if it gets you to where you want to be

No as in say with A Levels you plan to go into medicine, if you choose a different qualification it will change your life and you can't go to uni to study medicine.

Medicine is not the be all and end all. Not quite sure why anyone would want to do to medicine in this country these days tbh, it's miserable.
Going to go out on a limb and suggest the OP is guilty of procrastinating, rather than taking any positive action for fear of failure.
Original post by Admit-One
Going to go out on a limb and suggest the OP is guilty of procrastinating, rather than taking any positive action for fear of failure.

Oh for sure... :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending