The Student Room Group

hey - need help with maths

1) The vertex A if a square ABCD is at the point (6, -4 ) . The diagnol BD has equation 2y-x=6, and the vertex B is closer to the origin than D.

a)calculate the coordinates of the centre of the square.

b)calculate the coordinates of B and C.

2) Calculate the coordinates of the centre of the circle that pass through (0,2) , (4,8) and the origin O.

I attempted 1a and 2 and got random answers... which were not on the answers page. I couldn't do b. pls can someone show me the actual working as i can figure the answer on the answers page anyways i need to know how to work these out - they're hard :/
Reply 1
try drawing a graph and look at the points
Original post by Maths help
1) The vertex A if a square ABCD is at the point (6, -4 ) . The diagnol BD has equation 2y-x=6, and the vertex B is closer to the origin than D.

a)calculate the coordinates of the centre of the square.

b)calculate the coordinates of B and C.

Are you aware that the diagonals of a square bisect each other at right angles?
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
Are you aware that the diagonals of a square bisect each other at right angles?

Yes, but pls can you show me setting out your working?
Yes, but pls can you show me setting out your working?

You need to find the equation of the line through A and then find where it meets the line BD - that is the centre
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
You need to find the equation of the line through A and then find where it meets the line BD - that is the centre

How do you find B and D though? And help solve my other questions pls is all I meant?
Reply 6
How do you find B and D though? And help solve my other questions pls is all I meant?

Have you tried any of this yet?

Did you get the equation of the other diagonal through A, and have you established where the centre of the square is located?
Reply 7

Draw the graph. That will help a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest