The Student Room Group

Need help going into yr11

Hey guys just wanted to ask if you have any useful podcasts or youtube channels for gcse subjects to help me with revision going into my final year.I already about mr salles for english but cant find any other good ones. would really appreciate it!
Hey! I just finished year 11 and found freesciencelessons really good for physics. For biology and chemistry, Cognito is also a helpful channel that explains each topic quite well. Khan academy was what I used for maths and would recommend. You could also check out websites like bbc bitesize that has most of the gcse subjects for each exam board. If you are willing to buy revision guides/ books I would really recommend the CGP books. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by evakalabina
Hey guys just wanted to ask if you have any useful podcasts or youtube channels for gcse subjects to help me with revision going into my final year.I already about mr salles for english but cant find any other good ones. would really appreciate it!

My advice from a student who got grade 9s in English Lit, lang, rs, history and citizenship studies, 2x8 in science , 1x7 in maths and a 6 in french is don't just rely on youtube videos for every subject - however this does depend on the subjects you are taking. Personally for english mr salles and mr bruff did not work for me i ended up studying my own way without any videos and it worked (if u need any help with english let me know the texts your studying and i have grade 9 essays, revision resources and ideas that you can replicate in your exam)
However for maths i used theGCSEmathstutor and would watch the 2 hour videos and make notes and write out example questions and answers and then use his checklists and tick of what i understood and don't need to revise - then i would go on maths genie and do questions on each topic
For science i used freesciencelessons and made a whole power point slide with all the info i needed to remember and then used the physicsandmaths tutor who has notes on all 3 sciences and added them to the power point.

and thats it tbf as personally i don't like just watching youtube videos but anyways what type of grades are you hoping for?
Reply 3
(Original post by Frizzle16523)Hey! I just finished year 11 and found freesciencelessons really good for physics. For biology and chemistry, Cognito is also a helpful channel that explains each topic quite well. Khan academy was what I used for maths and would recommend. You could also check out websites like bbc bitesize that has most of the gcse subjects for each exam board. If you are willing to buy revision guides/ books I would really recommend the CGP books. Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by user1787
My advice from a student who got grade 9s in English Lit, lang, rs, history and citizenship studies, 2x8 in science , 1x7 in maths and a 6 in french is don't just rely on youtube videos for every subject - however this does depend on the subjects you are taking. Personally for english mr salles and mr bruff did not work for me i ended up studying my own way without any videos and it worked (if u need any help with english let me know the texts your studying and i have grade 9 essays, revision resources and ideas that you can replicate in your exam)
However for maths i used theGCSEmathstutor and would watch the 2 hour videos and make notes and write out example questions and answers and then use his checklists and tick of what i understood and don't need to revise - then i would go on maths genie and do questions on each topic
For science i used freesciencelessons and made a whole power point slide with all the info i needed to remember and then used the physicsandmaths tutor who has notes on all 3 sciences and added them to the power point.

and thats it tbf as personally i don't like just watching youtube videos but anyways what type of grades are you hoping for?

I usually revise by note taking but i thought i should probably try some other resources as well, I'm on the path to all 9's which i know is difficult but then again nothing is impossible
Reply 4
yeah okay fair enough.... i wish i had the mindset to get all 9s in year 10 going into yr 11 i was to busy in detention or isolation :/

Anyways good luck.
Reply 5
thanks, you seem to have done well for yourself in the end so i wouldn't look into it too much.
Reply 6
sciences - freesciencelessons + cgp
maths - gcsemathstutor + pmt
RE - aqa textbooks
computer science - cgp guide
french - cgp guide and aqa textbooks and resources
Reply 7
thank you
Reply 8
Free science lessons is incredible! As is incognito. Went from a 4/4 in year 10 to getting an 8/7 in my actual thing. As someone who found science super tricky, my advice is to go over the basics in CGP science books and then once you understand, look at the details. Then watch a free science lessons video to recap. Do more flash cards if you’re having trouble remembering.
Good luck, and don’t stress! I got mostly 8s and 9s and I did some revision over the year, but I really got a crack on in the Easter holidays- you’ve still got a while :smile:
Reply 9
thanks definitely going to have to check out cgp as everyone is recommending, yeah i think i do stress a bit too much trying to work on it.
Original post by evakalabina
thanks definitely going to have to check out cgp as everyone is recommending, yeah i think i do stress a bit too much trying to work on it.

hey make sure you focus this year and you will be able to achieve those grades im sure!! work consistently and often so you never feel like you have to cram. I have just finished my Alevels and definitely would say working consistently is one piece of advice I can’t recommend enough. Keep ur notes organised into folders, use PMT for exam questions and just watch vids. Seneca was an invaluable tool for sciences for me, idk if you do history but I made notes on the entire course and memorised the important info. Enjoy year 11, dont get too carried away and make sure you strive to achieve your goals. Make sure not to feel burned out, have adequate rest and after all GCSEs are not everything and really find an interest in the subjects you are studying, it will come with time!!
Reply 11
sounds like very wise advice will take it onboard

Quick Reply

Latest