The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im hoping to do biology chemistry law and psycology will this get me into medicine?
Hey everyone, basically I want to study medicine in the near future the subjects I'm going to do for A levels are Bio,chem,maths but some people have told me that if i choose economics or I.T that it will hiner my chances to do medicine, can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
Reply 382
Neither of them will hinder your chances. Tho if I had to pick one I'd go for Economics instead of IT.
Thanks for you help mate i'll keep that in mind, what about economics or computing?
it dosnt matter what your 4th option is, unless you want to apply to cambridge and then you need 3 of chem bio maths or physics.
do something that you will enjoy and get a good grade in!
As long as you have biology and chemistry and two other respected subjects, you'll be able to apply to most places. I think there are a couple of Oxford colleges that require maths and some that prefer 3 or 4 science subjects, but just choose what you're good at, and what you enjoy.
I'd pick economics over ICT or computing.
I would agree with what others have said, so long as you're doing biology and chemistry it doesn't really matter.

I would choose economics over IT, as it can be viewed as a bit of a 'soft' subject, but it wont make a huge difference. Just make sure you do something you'll enjoy, because then you're much more likely to get an A in it.
Reply 387
Universities can get a bit picky over IT (my college stopped teaching it because of that) but if it's your passion then I'd say go with it. If you're planning on going to the top universities and want to IT I'd suggest picking it as an AS choice and having the other three as the main A Levels.
Why not add a bit of balance to your A levels and do a respected essay subject like English Lit or History?
moomin_love
Why not add a bit of balance to your A levels and do a respected essay subject like English Lit or History?

Economics is essay-based I think. And anyway, there's no point doing an essay subject just for the sake of "balance". He should do what he enjoys/is good at for the 4th choice.
Jonty99
Economics is essay-based I think. And anyway, there's no point doing an essay subject just for the sake of "balance". He should do what he enjoys/is good at for the 4th choice.

Barely... half of it is multiple choice :s-smilie: (well, on AQA it is). I was under the impression that a lot of medical schools like a balance of subjects? Obviously I could be wrong, just a lot of my friends who are in the process of applying to medicine at the moment told me that it could strengthen an application if you apply with something like a language or essay-based subject to show that you're an all-rounded kind of person.
moomin_love
Barely... half of it is multiple choice :s-smilie: (well, on AQA it is). I was under the impression that a lot of medical schools like a balance of subjects? Obviously I could be wrong, just a lot of my friends who are in the process of applying to medicine at the moment told me that it could strengthen an application if you apply with something like a language or essay-based subject to show that you're an all-rounded kind of person.

Yeah that might depend on the exam board. :smile:

Erm, I think UCL and Peninsula say they "some preference" to applicants with a contrast, but that's all. So it doesn't really make a difference either way, therefore he should just do what he's good at / enjoys. (It's a common myth that lots of universities like a contrasting subject - in truth it doesn't really matter. Stuff that will actually strengthen an application is good GCSEs, good UKCAT, work experience etc)
Jonty99
Yeah that might depend on the exam board. :smile:

Erm, I think UCL and Peninsula say they "some preference" to applicants with a contrast, but that's all. So it doesn't really make a difference either way, therefore he should just do what he's good at / enjoys. (It's a common myth that lots of universities like a contrasting subject - in truth it doesn't really matter. Stuff that will actually strengthen an application is good GCSEs, good UKCAT, work experience etc)

Yeah I agree with the work experience thing, although my friend has got an interview at Oxford and Birmingham for Medicine with no work experience and didn't even get 4 As at AS. He literally started doing some work experience (not even in a hospital, like at a care home) the day he sent off his application.
People seem to think ICT is easy, but it's not really :/
The first year was a doddle same as GCSE more or less, but the second year :eek:
bananacake14
People seem to think ICT is easy, but it's not really :/
The first year was a doddle same as GCSE more or less, but the second year :eek:

I don't really think people believe it's easy; it's more just that it isn't seen as "respected" by certain universities.
Reply 395
Hi, I'm in year 11 and want to do medicine at uni
My a level choices are definitely Maths, Biology and Chemistry but I'm pretty stuck on my fourth Subject.
I was going to take English Lit but people have been telling me that its better to take Psychology since its a much lighter subject - I'm pretty sure that I will enjoy both subjects equally.
I want to maybe take 4 a levels but will english lit on top of the other subjects be too hard? And which a level do unis prefer out of English Lit and Psychology?

I am aiming for all A*s and As and hope to go to Oxbridge or London.
Also, if i take english lit, will i be at a disadvantage to the people who have taken psychology since they would know more about the brain and human behavior?

Any opinions and answers will be appreciated :smile:
Thanks for your time x
Jess Sam
My a level choices are definitely Maths, Biology and Chemistry but I'm pretty stuck on my fourth Subject.
I was going to take English Lit but people have been telling me that its better to take Psychology since its a much lighter subject - I'm pretty sure that I will enjoy both subjects equally.
I want to maybe take 4 a levels but will english lit on top of the other subjects be too hard? And which a level do unis prefer out of English Lit and Psychology?

Also, if i take english lit, will i be at a disadvantage to the people who have taken psychology since they would know more about the brain and human behavior?

Thanks for your time x

Do Psychology as your other sciences probably won't cover neuroanatomy or human behaviour. Also from medicine you can go in psychiatry, and doing Psychology a-level is a good step towards some knowledge in this area.

Any skills you get from English lit, such as critical analysis or expression you can get from Psychology too.
They both have their pros - Eng Lit shows universities you're an all rounder (which some look for), but I know a few people that did psychology and talked about how useful it was for medicine in their PS. Go for what you will enjoy, it's not going to make a huge difference which one you study. But if you don't do psychology you will not be at a disadvantage; med schools don't exactly say "right, we would do human behaviour today, but as some of you did it during A Level we'll just skip it."
Which do you enjoy more? Do eng lit, not much hard work is required tbh :dontknow:
Reply 399
Jess Sam

Thanks for your time x

It is entirely your choice - Oxbridge prefer 3 science subjects which you have (Maths, Bio and Chem)

Whereas UCL puts a slight preference on a contrasting subject so English Lit or Psychology would fit those requirements.

From personal experience (I don't actually do either but have friends who do both) it is much easier to get the grade in Psychology. If you're good at the learning style that is required for Bio and Chem I would recommend Psychology. The two are quite contrasting learning styles...

And you won't be at a disadvantage at all - yes they may know more - but the university won't expect you to have any prior knowledge in the area. Plus most Biology course have a neuroscience topic.

So in summary English Lit is a massive step up - and in all honesty if you like both of them the same it would be sensible to go for the easier one. At the end of the day you need the good grades...

Latest

Trending

Trending