The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
moleman3
How hard would it be if i dropped one at A2 and took up AS Biology workloadwise? Like is it doable?

look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

there are a few that don't need biol incl newcastle
Not sure what other two to take with Chemistry and Biology. The subjects are Maths, Physics, Geography and Philosophy.
Reply 1062
I want to study medicine and I did Chemistry ,biology ,mathematics and Physics at AS level :mad: . All of my exams were nice except Physics ,so ı am scared to get ''B'' and ı decide to drop off physics and to do Computing A level in one year is this sensible ? please help !
erm...getting a B at AS won't end your medical dreams...
I know a girl who got BBCD in AS...convinced her teachers to predict her AAA...ended up practically doing the entire A level in a year...is currently in her 1st yeaar of med school...so seriously....lighten up
I wouldn't think so, its not really relevant to medicine and you really want to focus on your other subjects at A2.
Just drop physics and focus on getting all A's at A2
i am thinking of applying for medicine this year, i just want to know if the unis like further maths
normandorp
i am thinking of applying for medicine this year, i just want to know if the unis like further maths

I wish they did......
Very little universities will accept further maths (sheffield does)as an a level for medicine as they see it to similar to normal maths. It's a shame really because its a difficult and respected subject and it does test your ability which is what med schools are looking for.
Its ok for a fourth as level or even as a full a level but they won't count it in your offer
Nah they don't. Drop further and go have a social life. They like that.

Reply 1068
I want to be a doctor when I am older but I don't know what A-levels to take. Please help me! I have mostly A's and A*'s for my GCSE's.
Whichever you feel most comfortable taking and thing you'll do best in, really.

Around four or five medical schools(including Newcastle/Durham and UEA) will only ask for chemistry or biology, most will ask for both. So if you want to chose from as wide a range as possible then it's probably best doing both biology and chemistry.

The rest of your choices can be from the arts, social sciences or sciences. So History, Geography, Philosophy, English Lit, Modern Language, Physics, Maths....

So along with Bioiolgy and/or chem, just chose the one you think you'll perform strongly in/have the most interest in. Try and keep it as traditional as possible (A-levels like Critical Thinking and General Studies are very unlikely to be accepted).

*I'll try and come back to this later to offer a fuller account.
Reply 1070
Chemistry and Biology should be amongst the two that you pick.

The other two are up to you. Most medicine applicants I know have maths and probably another subject (such as English, physics or psychology).
I would suggest chemistry and biology and maths, they seem to like maths... and then one totally different arty type subject so you can prove you're not totally science-y. :smile:
Physics
Maths
Biology
Chemistry.
Some ask for a third AS science aswell..so you may need to take 3 sciences to give yourself the most options.
Whatever you want. Do what you like/are good at...rather than changing your choices to fit your career. Keep your options open, not because I think you won't get in, rather for interests sake.
Reply 1075
i'm in the same position only i'm currently taking my GCSEs...

but next year i'll be taking Biology, Chemistry and maths as sciencey subjects and then german to fill my need for lanuages... :smile:
Chemistry, biology and maths. Any other subject you like.
Bear in mind that you will do better in things that you enjoy and are good at - don't pick them just for this.

I'd recommend a selection like Biology, Chemistry, perhaps another science/Maths, and a language or essay subject (e.g. French or History) - whichever you're good at (preferably traditional, as said above, rather than things such as Business Studies).

Good luck! It's a hard path!
I think theres a wiki for this.....
biology and chemistry to A2 is needed by most uni's and it's traditional, so perhaps take that. perhaps you can also take maths as that's respected and valuable. physics up to AS perhaps or you can take an essay subject instead

Latest

Trending

Trending