The Student Room Group

CV/Experience Question for Law Applications

I had to hire a firm of solicitors for immigration purposes and interacted with them extensively throughout the matter.

Would it be permissible to use this as experience on my CV? It was certainly valuable and effectively the same as a sort of work experience but am struggling with how to most effectively articulate it.

I worked closely with their trainee in their office and over the phone etc. (the matter was not particularly complex but still required professional support), had meetings with a barrister and partner as well.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Too far to spin it as a form of work shadowing, even if it was sort of for my own reasons i.e. I was the client, you reckon?
Reply 2
Hmm, ok.

Thanks for the advice.
Reply 3
No, no I hear you. Mostly just trying to think of how to give it a title as an extra-curricular or as any sort of point on a CV.

How was it formulated in the applications you rejected, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
Right ok, very helpful thank you.

I've seen similar "entries" on applications and CVs - usually advising family members of divorce/wills/employment issues, or dealing with forms of "disputes" themselves.

Are you saying it would probably be best to leave these sorts of things off altogether? I don't intend to base my whole application on this sort of approach, but I can see how its inclusion in any form (?) may come across a bit like the applicant is grasping at straws.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending