The Student Room Group

lamda exams for university

hi, im looking to apply for law school in the uk. i am in year 11 now. my school is offering lamda classes for public speaking, would that help my application? i heard it is a big time commitment. i have done a level three public speaking qualification when i was younger.
Reply 1
hi Third yr law student here. I would defo recommend taking on the classes, as it wont just help with uni applications but also work experience/internship applications throughout ur time in law school.
(Original post by imbrianloll)hi, im looking to apply for law school in the uk. i am in year 11 now. my school is offering lamda classes for public speaking, would that help my application? i heard it is a big time commitment. i have done a level three public speaking qualification when i was younger.
Original post by imbrianloll
hi, im looking to apply for law school in the uk. i am in year 11 now. my school is offering lamda classes for public speaking, would that help my application? i heard it is a big time commitment. i have done a level three public speaking qualification when i was younger.

Hi @iambrianloll!

I have just started my Bar Practice Course having finished a law conversion last year and I did LAMDA from Grade 5 to Grade 8. Having applied for different university courses, pro bono opportunities and work experience such as mini pupillages I have been in a lot of interviews related to law. I would say that 70% of these opportunities have commented on the LAMDA on my CV and asked me to explain why this has benefited my skills in relation to becoming a Barrister which has really helped me to get across my ability to speak under pressure and to large audiences. I have also been told by certain practitioners that it really strengthens my CV so I would 100% recommend doing the courses if you can. Of course, it is important to remember that you need to maintain strong academic grades for law so it is important you don't allow extra curricular to negatively impact your grades but it would be great if you could manage it alongside. Remember, no one factor will make or break your application so if you don't enjoy it then don't become fixated, there are plenty of ways to make your application stand out :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending