The Student Room Group

Can the topic of my dissertation improve my chances of securing a training contract?

--
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi Áilill

I wouldn't view the topic of your dissertation as at all relevant to your TC applications if you're coming from a non law degree - key is ensuring that 2.1 degree grade so pick something you are interested in and will enjoy researching & writing.

My history dissertation wasn't on anything to do with commercial law and I can't recall any question in any interview on it. I'm now a senior(ish) lawyer who reviews 20+ CVs a year for recruitment into my team (from trainee/junior to mid levels) - dissertation topic is irrelevant.

I'd recommend gaining as much *practical* exposure you can to commercial law (or just law in general) before/whilst you're applying - that means:
- applying to formal law firm vac schemes (tough as they're really competitive but if you don't apply you won't get);
- formal or informal work experience through friends and family - does anyone you know work for a business with an inhouse legal function (or anything similar - compliance, even H&S etc...) that you could shadow/Work exp for a week?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending