The Student Room Group
Reply 1
pop
does merton college oxford have a fairly normal selction process for english, or is it more rigourous than the others?

according to the post about Merton on the Oxford board it is an above average academic college. Post ur questions on the end of that thread and someone will probably help you. Don't know anything about english I'm afraid!
Reply 2
Like Hoofbeat said, Merton is a more academic college so tends to attract a higher calibre of applicants. For this reason I would expect the competition for places (for any subject, let alone English) to be extremely tough and it also may be the case that they have a slightly more demanding selection process as it may be harder to distinguish between applicants who are of such similar (high) standard.
Reply 3
Lucy
Like Hoofbeat said, Merton is a more academic college so tends to attract a higher calibre of applicants. For this reason I would expect the competition for places (for any subject, let alone English) to be extremely tough and it also may be the case that they have a slightly more demanding selection process as it may be harder to distinguish between applicants who are of such similar (high) standard.

Merton is certainly known for the academic pressure which is placed on the students, and there high position in the Norrington table, but ALL the colleges attract high calibre candidates, and every college offers outstanding teaching and tutoring. I really wouldn't select a college solely on it's academic performance and the Norrington table, they are extremely volatile, one year a college may be in the bottom half, a couple of years later it will be in the top 5.

The most important thing for me was if I would be happy to live in this college for at least the next 3 years, and if it offers entire course accommodation - with the current housing market, that is getting more and more important!

One thing about Merton - Keep off the lawns! You've been warned...

Latest

Trending

Trending