The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Friday 5th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

*** OFFICIAL AQA CORE 3 MPC3 JUNE 2015 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD ***
UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME
A) Use the mid ordinate rule to find an estimate for the integral of 1.55.5e2xln(3x2)\displaystyle \int_{1.5}^{5.5} e^{2-x} \ln (3x-2):

Mid-ordinate rule: =2.541= 2.541 (4 marks)

B) Find the gradient of the line y=e2xln(3x2)y= e^{2-x} \ln (3x-2) at the point where x=2x = 2:

34ln(4)\dfrac{3}{4} - \ln (4) (4 marks)

A) Sketch y=42x+1y=4 - |2x+1|:

Intercepts are at (2.5,0),(1.5,0),(0,3)(-2.5, 0), (1.5, 0), (0, 3). (4 marks)

B) Solve the equation x=42x+1x = 4 - |2x+1|:

x=5,x=1x=-5, x=1 (3 marks)

C) Solve inequality x<42x+1x < 4 - |2x+1| :

5<x<1-5 < x < 1 (2 marks)

D) Translation that maps y=2x+1y=|2x+1| onto y=42x+1y=4-|2x+1|:

EITHER
1) Reflection in x-axis
2) Translation by vector [04]\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 4 \end{bmatrix}

OR

1) Translation by vector [04]\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ -4 \end{bmatrix}
2) Reflection in x-axis (4 marks)

A) Show that 5<α<65 < \alpha < 6 (2 marks)

B) Prove x=4+136ln(x)x = 4 + \sqrt{13 - 6 \ln (x)} can be written as 6ln(x)+x28x+3=06 \ln (x) +x^2 - 8x + 3 = 0 (3 marks)

C) Use iteration formula xn+1=4+136ln(xn)x_{n+1} = 4 + \sqrt{13 - 6 \ln (x_n)} with x1=5x_1=5:

x2=5.828,x3=5.557x_2 = 5.828, x_3 = 5.557 (2 marks)

D) Stationary points of curve f(x)=6lnx+x28x+3f(x) = 6 \ln x +x^2 -8x +3 are at:

(1,4),(3,6ln(3)12)(1,-4), (3, 6 \ln (3) - 12) (5 marks)

E) y=2f(x4)y = 2f(x-4), find new stationary points:

(5,8),(7,12ln(3)24)(5,-8), (7, 12 \ln (3) - 24) (2 marks)

f(x)=5e3x f(x) = 5-e^{3x}

g(x)=12x3 g(x) = \dfrac{1}{2x-3}

A) Range of f(x)f(x):

f(x)<5f(x) < 5 (2 marks)

B) Find the inverse function of f:

f1(x)=13ln(5x)f^{-1}(x) = \dfrac{1}{3} \ln (5-x) (3 marks)

C) Find xx when f1(x)=0f^{-1}(x) = 0:

x=4x=4 (1 mark)

D) Find gg(x)gg(x) in the form \dfrac{ax+b}{cx+d}:

gg(x)=(2x3)6x11gg(x) = \dfrac{-(2x-3)}{6x-11} (3 marks)

A) Prove ddx(tanx)=sec2x\dfrac{d}{dx} (\tan x) = sec^{2} x (2 marks)

B) xsec2x dx:\displaystyle \int x sec^{2} x\ dx:

=xtanxlnsecx+C= x \tan x - \ln |sec x| + C (4 marks)

C) Volume of solid when curve y=(5x)secxy = (5 \sqrt{x})secx is rotated 2π2 \pi radians about the x axis between x=0x=0 and x=1x=1:

= 7474 (2 sf) (3 marks)

A) Sketch y=sin1(3x)y = \sin^{-1}(3x):

End points = (13,π2)\left(\dfrac{1}{3}, \dfrac{\pi}{2}\right) and (13,π2)\left(\dfrac{-1}{3}, \dfrac{- \pi}{2}\right) (3 marks)

B) Given x=13siny x = \dfrac{1}{3} \sin y:

dxdy=13cosy\dfrac{dx}{dy} = \dfrac{1}{3} \cos y

dydx=3cosy\therefore \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{3}{\cos y} (2 marks)

7. Using substitution u=6x2u = 6-x^2, solve 12x36x2\displaystyle \int_1^2 \dfrac{x^3}{\sqrt{6-x^2}}, expressing answer in the form: p\sqrt5 + q\sqrt2 :

=13351632= \dfrac{13}{3} \sqrt{5} - \dfrac{16}{3} \sqrt{2} (7 marks)

A) Prove 4cosec2θcot2θ=k4 cosec^{2} \theta - cot^{2} \theta = k can be written as sec2θ=k1k4sec^{2} \theta = \dfrac{k-1}{k-4} where k4k \not= 4 (5 marks)

B) Given that 4cosec2(2x+75o)cot2(2x+75o)=54 cosec^{2} (2x +75^{o}) - cot^{2} (2x +75^{o}) = 5, find values of x in the range 0o<x<180o0^{o} < x < 180^{o}:

x=22.5o,82.5o,112.5o,172.5ox = 22.5^{o}, 82.5^{o}, 112.5^{o}, 172.5^{o} (5 marks)

CORE 4 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3041479

MECHANICS 2 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3047357

RESOURCES:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How is everyone preparing? Does anyone have access to papers before 2005?

I've also updated links to the Core 4 and Mechanics 2 exam threads in the original post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/AQA/Maths/ Here you go. In my college, we're currently learning both M2 and C4 simultaneously. We finished C3 in November and we're on compound angles for C4 and Circular motion for M2, so we've almost finished covering all modules. I've just been using past papers and using the CGP A2 Maths revision book for revision. How about you?
Reply 3
Original post by Tiwa
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/AQA/Maths/ Here you go. In my college, we're currently learning both M2 and C4 simultaneously. We finished C3 in November and we're on compound angles for C4 and Circular motion for M2, so we've almost finished covering all modules. I've just been using past papers and using the CGP A2 Maths revision book for revision. How about you?

Oh nice! We seem to be doing the same modules! I set up threads for the other two if you haven't already seen :smile:

Oh nice! We've done C3 and C4 and have just started M2 with resultant forces and moments revision. Basically we started off easy haha. Do you do Physics? I wondered how much M2 overlaps aha. I've been using the University of Cambridge published books for each module and then the CGP A2 Maths book and past papers for revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by CD223
Oh nice! We seem to be doing the same modules! I set up threads for the other two if you haven't already seen :smile:

Oh nice! We've done C3 and C4 and have just started M2 with resultant forces and moments revision. Basically we started off easy haha. Do you do Physics? I wondered how much M2 overlaps aha. I've been using the University of Cambridge published books for each module and then the CGP A2 Maths book and past papers for revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I do Physics. Physics and M2 overlap a lot. For one circular motion shows up in both Physics and M2. Moments, centres of gravity, Power, kinetic energy. Basically, everything except from i and j vectors shows us in Physics.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiwa
Yeah, I do Physics. Physics and M2 overlap a lot. For one circular motion shows up in both Physics and M2. Moments, centres of gravity, Power, kinetic energy. Basically, everything except from i and j vectors shows us in Physics.

Ah that's good news! Will hopefully help me understand both a bit better! Which board are you on for physics?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I do OCR A Physic's. :biggrin: How about you?
Reply 7
Actually, what I said before, scratch that. I think everything except i and j vectors, differentiation and integration show up in Physics. :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by Tiwa
I do OCR A Physic's. :biggrin: How about you?

Ah I do AQA A :smile: good to know so much of M2 comes up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing AQA as well!! :biggrin:
Wanted to know which identities and rules we should be able to prove and know the proof?
Do we have to know how to show the integral of cotx dx = ln mod(sinx) +c
Thank you!:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Pumuki63
Doing AQA as well!! :biggrin:
Wanted to know which identities and rules we should be able to prove and know the proof?
Do we have to know how to show the integral of cotx dx = ln mod(sinx) +c
Thank you!:smile:

AQA Maths? Nice!
The only identities you need to know are:
sinx / cosx = tanx
sin^2x+cos^2x = 1
Cosec^2x = cot^2x + 1
Sec^2x = tan^2x + 1

Then derivatives, just that sinx -> cosx -> -sinx -> -cosx

and

tanx -> sec^2x

Any others will be broken down (ie: they won't expect you to already know it). Even the derivative of tanx is in the formulae booklet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
AQA Maths? Nice!
The only identities you need to know are:
sinx / cosx = tanx
sin^2x+cos^2x = 1
Cosec^2x = cot^2x + 1
Sec^2x = tan^2x + 1

Then derivatives, just that sinx -> cosx -> -sinx -> -cosx

and

tanx -> sec^2x

Any others will be broken down (ie: they won't expect you to already know it). Even the derivative of tanx is in the formulae booklet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okey dokey, that's good!! Thank you :biggrin: Think I'm going to make a little formula sheet of things I have to know that won't be in the formula booklet :tongue:
Reply 12
Okey dokey, that's good!! Thank you :biggrin: Think I'm going to make a little formula sheet of things I have to know that won't be in the formula booklet :tongue:

Ah that's what I'm planning on doing! It'll make things so much easier. Even trying to learn things on the formula booklet will help you tackle questions quicker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah that's what I'm planning on doing! It'll make things so much easier. Even trying to learn things on the formula booklet will help you tackle questions quicker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% agree, not just time but I seem to find that if I don't remember a formula I don't always think to look in the booklet and so tackle the question without a formula and ...fail:tongue:... only to find out that if I'd learnt the formula I would have got the question right and saved myself a lot of stress - stress which only makes you under-perform as you go through the paper...
Do you know of any resources other than past papers that have useful and challenging questions? :smile:
Reply 14
100% agree, not just time but I seem to find that if I don't remember a formula I don't always think to look in the booklet and so tackle the question without a formula and ...fail:tongue:... only to find out that if I'd learnt the formula I would have got the question right and saved myself a lot of stress - stress which only makes you under-perform as you go through the paper...
Do you know of any resources other than past papers that have useful and challenging questions? :smile:

True. Have you tried Solomon papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
True. Have you tried Solomon papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I haven't but I will definitely check them out, thank you!!:smile:
Reply 16
No I haven't but I will definitely check them out, thank you!!:smile:

No worries!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Does anyone know if we will be able to use C4 knowledge in answering a C3 question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Does anyone know if we will be able to use C4 knowledge in answering a C3 question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless they tell you to work it out in a specific way in the question than you can use whichever method you like, it's best examining wise if you try and stick to C3 though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by jjsnyder
Unless they tell you to work it out in a specific way in the question than you can use whichever method you like, it's best examining wise if you try and stick to C3 though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, thank you! I'll try to stick to C3 methods. I just know in C4 they synoptically test everything so I wondered if C3 was similar!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest