The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Friday 5th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
I generally will do the paper in 1 hour 10 minutes in the real thing - I always take my time when it comes to it. I'll aim to spend 20+ mins storing my answers, but only if I know I've 100% answered them as fully as possible.

Don't wanna jeopardise my score for the sake of storing my answers haha.

I'll definitely need contributions from others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you cannot remember anything, I will help you out afterwards, but it will be 90 minutes after the exam ends! Don't think I am confident enough to do C4, depends how it goes!
Reply 581
Original post by Lau14
I've got the C3/FP1 clash as well! I'll see what I can remember from C3, it shouldn't take me too long to do the paper unless something weird comes up.

Original post by jjsnyder
Well if you cannot remember anything, I will help you out afterwards, but it will be 90 minutes after the exam ends! Don't think I am confident enough to do C4, depends how it goes!

I'm sure between the three of us we can come up with a fairly good mark scheme. I'll obviously do my best but I think we can all agree to not rush and just take as long as we need before thinking about noting answers down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I'm sure between the three of us we can come up with a fairly good mark scheme. I'll obviously do my best but I think we can all agree to not rush and just take as long as we need before thinking about noting answers down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah don't mess up the paper just to write a Mark Scheme, hoping there isn't anything ridiculous on it that I get stuck on for ages!
Reply 583
Yeah don't mess up the paper just to write a Mark Scheme, hoping there isn't anything ridiculous on it that I get stuck on for ages!

If all goes our way then the mark scheme will be fine to do. If not, it's not the end of the world as we'll probably get most of it down through discussion on the thread - shall I add it to the first post?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
If all goes our way then the mark scheme will be fine to do. If not, it's not the end of the world as we'll probably get most of it down through discussion on the thread - shall I add it to the first post?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No a separate post should be made with the title specific to the Mark Scheme, TSR will probably catch on and link to it from there front page, thats what the did with mine!
Reply 585
No a separate post should be made with the title specific to the Mark Scheme, TSR will probably catch on and link to it from there front page, thats what the did with mine!

I see. No worries. I'll aim to do that. I won't be out of the exam until around 11:05am though, so I'll be a little slow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I see. No worries. I'll aim to do that. I won't be out of the exam until around 11:05am though, so I'll be a little slow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you get extra time?
In terms of differentiating using the chain rule (and product) could they ask us something like this. And also when intergrating trig terms such as y= sinxtanx, how would we know what is u and dv/dx.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432567163.444563.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
Do you get extra time?

Yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
In terms of differentiating using the chain rule (and product) could they ask us something like this. And also when intergrating trig terms such as y= sinxtanx, how would we know what is u and dv/dx.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This could possibly come up, it is in the spec after all! The latter would not come up though, the only integration by parts will have one term as x x or x2 x^2
This could possibly come up, it is in the spec after all! The latter would not come up though, the only integration by parts will have one term as x x or x2 x^2

Thanks! How you feeling for the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 591
Original post by Jimmy20002012

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first part could come up. Out of curiosity is this what people make it to be?

Wasn't too confident on dealing with the ln term so I brought the power down.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432567897.677321.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592

My teacher used examples like:

e2xsin3x dx \displaystyle \int e^{2x}sin{3x}\ dx

Are these definitely too hard to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
My teacher used examples like:

e2xsin3x dx \displaystyle \int e^{2x}sin{3x}\ dx

Are these definitely too hard to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they are, one of the terms will either be xx (take this as u and use integration by parts once) or x2x^2 (take this as u and use integration by parts twice.
Original post by CD223
The first part could come up. Out of curiosity is this what people make it to be?

Wasn't too confident on dealing with the ln term so I brought the power down.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432567897.677321.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks good to me! :smile:
Reply 595
Yes they are, one of the terms will either be xx (take this as u and use integration by parts once) or x2x^2 (take this as u and use integration by parts twice.

I see. Do you use the

U
L
A
T
E

rule?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I see. Do you use the

U
L
A
T
E

rule?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have heard people talk about it, but not actually sure what it is, care to inform me?
Reply 597
I have heard people talk about it, but not actually sure what it is, care to inform me?

U is just to remind people it's when choosing U. Then follows the order of terms in which you choose U to be when integrating by parts.

L = logarithms
A = algebra
T = trigonometry
E = exponentials

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
U is just to remind people it's when choosing U. Then follows the order of terms in which you choose U to be when integrating by parts.

L = logarithms
A = algebra
T = trigonometry
E = exponentials

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah nice, I will make sure to remember that! :smile:
Reply 599
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the exam is the priority! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending