The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Friday 5th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UOE15
Jan12 q6b - horrible substitution one, I managed to get so far as cosx but cannot get the solutions?
q6b.JPG

x = cosecθ

Rearrange for θ: θ = sin-1(1/x)
Input values for x in, and get values for θ --- these are the new limits of the integral...

so cos(0.524) - cos (0.785) = 0.159 to 3sf
Reply 1181
Original post by SpaceXFan
x = cosecθ

Input values for x in, and get values for θ --- these are the new limits of the integral...

Would you lose marks for working in decimal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Well tbh, I'll note down all my answers and if no one has already posted an unofficial MS, I'll add it to the first post of this thread/make a new thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately I expect we'll have to clear our calculators between exams, so I'll have to see how much C3 I can remember!
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may do, as I think we are expected to know exact values for common trig - they do often ask for the answer to be exact as well.
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the mark scheme gives it in decimal... so no. Usually, however, they ask for exact value.
Original post by CD223
Erm, not that I can think of 👀 Product is for multiplication of two functions, chain is where you have a function inside another one. Can't really think of a way of spotting it beyond that 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know who you are now! Thank youu so much, just had a blank moment, stressing out :smile: good luck
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Hardest past paper? Done the 2010 set because some people said those were hard. Any others?

JANUARY 2012. Quite easy up to question 6. Then its HELL
Reply 1187
Original post by Lau14
Unfortunately I expect we'll have to clear our calculators between exams, so I'll have to see how much C3 I can remember!

Oh right! I should probably learn how to reset my calculator before tomorrow...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1188
Original post by ankitaa123
I know who you are now! Thank youu so much, just had a blank moment, stressing out :smile: good luck

Hahahaha, hello :wink: good luck for tomorrow AK :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh right! I should probably learn how to reset my calculator before tomorrow...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our invigilators tend to talk everyone through it (mine's easy - you take the back off, put it back on and press clear :tongue: )... I'd think we have to do it between exams anyway, we do at the start.
Original post by CD223
Hahahaha, hello :wink: good luck for tomorrow AK :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUO

Awks when I ask a stupid question and Chris finds it hahahaha
Reply 1191
Original post by SpaceXFan
x = cosecθ

Original post by CD223
Have you changed the limits correctly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher taught me to integrate then change back to what you substituted then use original limits if that make sense but that doesn't work in this case hence I was confused, but I have worked it through now thankfully, thank you!
Reply 1192
Original post by Lau14
Our invigilators tend to talk everyone through it (mine's easy - you take the back off, put it back on and press clear :tongue: )... I'd think we have to do it between exams anyway, we do at the start.

Oh that's good! Just found out how to do mine :tongue:

Hopefully they don't make me clear it afterwards. That's my only way of remembering the majority of answers haha!

Original post by ankitaa123

Awks when I ask a stupid question and Chris finds it hahahaha

Hahahah! :biggrin:
No such thing as a stupid question! Really hoping tomorrow is a kind paper :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
FUNCTIONS!! I have a question about them:

when finding the inverse of a function, sometimes the answer ends up as +/- because there is a root. However, from looking at mark schemes, it tells you to ignore one sign or the other? when would you do so cause i'm confused??
For example, in the Jun 14 paper it tells you to ignore the negative. In the january 13, it tells you to ignore positive?
why?? thanks
Reply 1194
Original post by tiffanyyyyyyy
FUNCTIONS!! I have a question about them:

when finding the inverse of a function, sometimes the answer ends up as +/- because there is a root. However, from looking at mark schemes, it tells you to ignore one sign or the other? when would you do so cause i'm confused??
For example, in the Jun 14 paper it tells you to ignore the negative. In the january 13, it tells you to ignore positive?
why?? thanks

Reflect the function in y=x and it will become clearer which root to reject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UOE15
Jan12 q6b - horrible substitution one, I managed to get so far as cosx but cannot get the solutions?
q6b.JPG

It's not at all neat and I got the limits wrong at first but here you go:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433436944.907325.jpg

EDIT: just realised I'm a bit late Hahaa sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1196
Original post by EmilyC96
It's not at all neat and I got the limits wrong at first but here you go:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433436944.907325.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks - it is a nasty question and you could lose so many marks, hoping nothing like that comes up.
What page are the pilot papers on/?
Original post by CD223
Reflect the function in y=x and it will become clearer which root to reject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhhh thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 1199
Original post by tiffanyyyyyyy
ahhhh thank you so much! :smile:

No problem! Good luck tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending