The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry 6ch04/05 JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thymolphthalein
I do Physics (Edexcel) and I don't think we learn anything really similar to the simpler cells we study in Chemistry so I don't see any relevance between the two other than simply having electricity as a topic. The circuits set up, and question types are generally pretty different. They're also pretty obsessed with capacitors. Bloody capacitors, unit 4 is going to be the death of me. :shifty:

I have transition chemistry notes, if you want them. :biggrin:

Ahh bless you, no idea what they are haha but my friend who does physics despises it lool! Ooh okay, that's unfortunate then, because if the two were similar then you could probably get a better level of understanding

Yes please that would be so helpful! Thankyou!:smile:
Original post by bbyturtlexox
could someone please explain to me steam distillation and how it's different from normal distillation :colonhash:

Steam distillation is for compounds (generally organic compounds) which have very high boiling points. This is useful for extracting molecules with a high boiling point as they may thermally decompose under normal distillation.

It works on the principle that immiscible substances, when mixed together will lower the boiling point of each other.
Original post by George444
Copper electrode.png Can someone explain how I'm meant to work out what's being oxidized and what's being reduced in this question? Thanks :smile:

I think usually the the reaction on the left is oxidation and right is reduction? If that helps haha
Original post by HopefulDentist..
Ahh bless you, no idea what they are haha but my friend who does physics despises it lool! Ooh okay, that's unfortunate then, because if the two were similar then you could probably get a better level of understanding

Yes please that would be so helpful! Thankyou!:smile:

I'll get back to you tomorrow on the notes, it's 12 AM where I live now. :biggrin:
Steam distillation is for compounds (generally organic compounds) which have very high boiling points. This is useful for extracting molecules with a high boiling point as they may thermally decompose under normal distillation.

It works on the principle that immiscible substances, when mixed together will lower the boiling point of each other.

do we not need to know the practical details? Is it just passing steam through the fractioning column?
I'll get back to you tomorrow on the notes, it's 12 AM where I live now. :biggrin:

Sure:smile: haha oh gosh!
Original post by HopefulDentist..
Sure:smile: haha oh gosh!

Transition Chemistry Notes. :biggrin:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwBWX8dVcLhpVFpBNnRwR1dMV1E/view?usp=sharing
what books do you guys use ?
IMG_0244.jpg
Could someone please explain how to do this one for me please?(:
Reply 330
Original post by goonieskellie
IMG_0244.jpg

Ka = [H+] [A-] / [HA]

Sodium ethanoate fully dissociates so = [A-]

Ka for acetic acid: 1.8 x 10-5
[H+]= 10^(-4.70)
[HA]= 1
[A-]= ?

[A-]= (Ka x [HA]) / [H+]

[A-] = 0.9 mol dm-3

Moles A- = 0.9 x (500cm3/1000) = 0.451 mol

Mass A- = 0.451 mol x 82 g mol-1 = 36.988 g
Original post by goonieskellie
IMG_0244.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433163624.501482.jpg

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 332
Original post by AnishaJayne

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep this is exactly how I would have done it
Omg need help ASAP! So to go from a halogenoalkane to an amine.. Is it concentrated ammonia in ethanol heated in a sealed tube OR is it reflux? The CGP guide says reflux...
Original post by CakeIsthebest
Omg need help ASAP! So to go from a halogenoalkane to an amine.. Is it concentrated ammonia in ethanol heated in a sealed tube OR is it reflux? The CGP guide says reflux...

I thought halogenoalkane + NH3 or primary amine or secondary amine with ammonia (in a sealed tube) produces primary amines or secondary amines and tertiary amines respectively (or their salts).
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/haloalkanes/nh3.html

And that halogenoalkanes + KCN/HCN in ethanol is the one that undergoes heat under reflux and gives nitriles.
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/haloalkanes/cyanide.html
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought halogenoalkane + NH3 or primary amine or secondary amine with ammonia (in a sealed tube) produces primary amines or secondary amines and tertiary amines respectively (or their salts).
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/haloalkanes/nh3.html

And that halogenoalkanes + KCN/HCN in ethanol is the one that undergoes heat under reflux and gives nitriles.
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/haloalkanes/cyanide.html

Yeah that's right I think! Thank you.
Original post by AnishaJayne

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that is perfect! Thankyou so much!!!
Making sure you can do all the maths equations for the exam will help loads and will be easy marks as its the same all the time!

Would recommend doing all the past papers before the exam, I only have 3 left so far.
Original post by MikeBird
Making sure you can do all the maths equations for the exam will help loads and will be easy marks as its the same all the time!

Would recommend doing all the past papers before the exam, I only have 3 left so far.

This is good advice.

Another important thing you can do is NOT waste time on MCQs.

My method is to go through the MCQs first and answer them as carefully as I can within the first try but within 20-25 minutes max. Leave MCQs you're unsure about, don't fret over it.

Do the theory parts and finish it all off, and then get back to multiple choice. Then spend the rest of the time rechecking everything. :biggrin:
This is good advice.

Another important thing you can do is NOT waste time on MCQs.

My method is to go through the MCQs first and answer them as carefully as I can within the first try but within 20-25 minutes max. Leave MCQs you're unsure about, don't fret over it.

Do the theory parts and finish it all off, and then get back to multiple choice. Then spend the rest of the time rechecking everything. :biggrin:

the paper is 90 marks and 90 mins available for each mark :smile: so yeah plan well, time can definitely be saved on easy MCQ's. My teacher always recommends scanning through the paper once you get it to set the brain in motion and give it a push so you will already be thinking ahead while doing the "easy questions". Seems hard to believe but it does work for me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending