Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm currently doing oxidation numbers, and I find it difficult finding the oxidation number of a less familiar element (Basically an element tha's not oxygen or hydrogen or fluorine as I know they're oxidation numbers).

For example:

Deduce the oxidation state of each bold element:

NaClO3 - Each of oxygen is -2, so in total oxygen is -6. But how am I am able to work out Na and Cl???

KMnO4 - Likewise with this question also.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm_27)
    Hey guys,

I'm currently doing oxidation numbers, and I find it difficult finding the oxidation number of a less familiar element (Basically an element tha's not oxygen or hydrogen or fluorine as I know they're oxidation numbers).

For example:

NaClO3 - Each of oxygen is -2, so in total oxygen is -6. But how am I am able to work out Na and Cl???

Thank you!
    Have you ever seen a group one metal in a state other than +1? If so, I take my hat off to you. But I haven't...

So 1+Cl+(-6)=0
    Cl=+5
    and
    1+Mn+(-8)=0
    Mn=+7
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Just follow the rules, as explained here:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=balan...numbers-method

One of the rules is "alkali metals are always +1". After that both your examples become trivial, as shown by langlitz.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rm_27)
    Hey guys,

For example:

Thank you!
    Here's an interactive self test on oxidation numbers ... enjoy

ReputationRep:
    This is really useful thanks. Do you know if there are any on shapes of molecules and ions?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rm_27)
    This is really useful thanks. Do you know if there are any on shapes of molecules and ions?
    Check this out on shapes of molecules ..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.