Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi... what's the definition of 'level of significance' in hypothesis testing and what's the difference between that and 'actual significance level'?
    Pretty pretty please answer quick as I need instant help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by braindead1997)
    Hi... what's the definition of 'level of significance' in hypothesis testing and what's the difference between that and 'actual significance level'?
    Pretty pretty please answer quick as I need instant help!
    definitely very bad at stats but this is how I understand it

significance level
    is the benchmark set
    e.g H0 is unlikely if the probability falls below a cetain level say 5%

actual significance is the probability of rejecting the H0 incorrectly

PS I stand corrected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    definitely very bad at stats but this is how I understand it

significance level
    is the benchmark set
    e.g H0 is unlikely if the probability falls below a cetain level say 5%

actual significance is the probability of rejecting the H0 incorrectly

PS I stand corrected
    Ahhh.... ok... i understand actual level of significance but can you further explain level of significance a bit?? sorry for being a bother!!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh.... ok... i understand actual level of significance but can you further explain level of significance a bit?? sorry for being a bother!!
    significance is the likelyhood(probability) of getting it wrong and reject H0 when in fact H0 is true
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I think that the level of significance is what you're defining as 'very unlikely'.

If your significance level was 5%, then you'd reject H_0 if an event that had less than a 5% chance of occuring occured. You either have a type 1 error (don't worry about that in S2) or your model is not right.

You can't always have exactly 5% so you can choose values which are as close to that as possible, and the actual level of significance is the probablity of getting the values that would lead to you rejecting H_0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    significance is the likelyhood(probability) of getting it wrong and reject H0 when in fact H0 is true
    Yay!! Now i understand it! Thanks a bunch... I've got an S2 exam tomorrow and I've had difficulty understanding this!!

ReputationRep:
    Yay!! Now i understand it! Thanks a bunch... I've got an S2 exam tomorrow and I've had difficulty understanding this!!
    good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I think that the level of significance is what you're defining as 'very unlikely'.

If your significance level was 5%, then you'd reject H_0 if an event that had less than a 5% chance of occuring occured. You either have a type 1 error (don't worry about that in S2) or your model is not right.

You can't always have exactly 5% so you can choose values which are as close to that as possible, and the actual level of significance is the probablity of getting the values that would lead to you rejecting H_0.
    Thank you so much... I understand it much better now!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    good luck tomorrow
    Thanks!!! Gonna need that!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.