The Student Room Group

Leon (censored) Brittan has died.

Former Home Secretary Leon Brittan has died aged 75 after a long battle with cancer, his family have said.

The former Conservative MP was a key figure in Margaret Thatcher's government in the 1980s and later became a European Commissioner.

Prime Minister David Cameron said he had been a "dedicated and fiercely intelligent public servant".

His family paid tribute to his "extraordinary commitment to British public life".

Lord Brittan came under the spotlight last year as part of the investigation into historical sexual abuse because he was home secretary in 1984 when ministers were handed a dossier on alleged high-profile paedophiles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30938755

A Labour MP was last night embroiled in a row over the use of parliamentary privilege after he told the Commons that Lord Brittan, the former home secretary, had been accused of “improper conduct with children”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11194280/Labour-MP-is-condemned-for-linking-Leon-Brittan-to-child-abuse.html
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Apparently he'd been battling cancer for a long-time - but this is the first I've heard of it. I can't seem to find anything on the internet, either. Seems a little weird to me.

Of course, it's his private-life - he's entitled to keep it quiet if he likes, but I find it a little unusual that there's no mention of the illness prior to today's statement.
Original post by Burridge
Apparently he'd been battling cancer for a long-time - but this is the first I've heard of it. I can't seem to find anything on the internet, either. Seems a little weird to me.

Of course, it's his private-life - he's entitled to keep it quiet if he likes, but I find it a little unusual that there's no mention of the illness prior to today's statement.

Why not? Diedre Barlow died the other day of cancer and that came as a shock to most.

Why are you Suprised a retired politician doesn't have his private life splashed across the news
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why not? Diedre Barlow died the other day of cancer and that came as a shock to most.

Why are you Suprised a retired politician doesn't have his private life splashed across the news

Diedre Barlow? The Coronation Street character? Jesus, that's a new all-time forum low! You know, forget the person behind the character - let's just think of poor Ken Barlow in all of this, he must be heartbroken. At least have the respect to recognise her as Anne Kirkbride.

Anne Kirbride's illnesses were public knowledge. She battled cancer a couple of times; this well-known and was well covered by the press on several occasions. Brittan's wasn't, that's the point. Why am I surprised? Why do you think? The press have demonstrated a pretty 'good' track-record when it comes to that kind of stuff, if you catch my drift ...
He had sexual intercourse with a child? And has died? Therefore sexual intercourse with children is naturally fatal.
Don't mention child abuse and Leon Brittan.

I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Tributes still flooding in.

Mr Clegg said: "Cyril Smith was a larger-than-life character and one of the most recognisable and likeable politicians of his day.

"I am deeply saddened to hear the news of his death today, and offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

"Everybody in Rochdale knew him, not only as their MP but also as a friend.

"He was a true Liberal, dedicated to his constituency, always showing great passion and determination.

"Cyril was a colourful politician who kept the flame of Liberalism alive when the party was much smaller than it is today.

"Rochdale and Britain have sadly lost one of their great MPs, and I think we can safely say there will never be an MP quite like Cyril Smith again."

Former Lib Dem leader Sir Menzies Campbell said: "Cyril Smith was a one-off in British politics. His views were always forthright and he did not suffer fools gladly.

"His service to the Liberal cause was immense and whilst in recent years he suffered from poor health, his commitment was as robust as ever."

Lord Steel of Aikwood, a former leader of the Liberal Party from 1976 until 1988, said Sir Cyril was a "warm-hearted" colleague, adding: "He was first and foremost Mr Rochdale.

"His by-election victory picked up the Liberal Party from the disastrous 1970 election when we had only six seats and started our recovery."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nick-clegg-leads-tributes-to-largerthanlife-exmp-sir-cyril-smith-2069888.html
Reply 9
Oops wrong one, Brittan not Smith :facepalm:

'It is a tragedy that his last days were dogged by these quite unsubstantiated allegations': Ex Tory leader Michael Howard leads tributes to 'brilliant' Leon Brittan following his death aged 75

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2921764/Controversial-Conservative-peer-former-home-secretary-Leon-Brittan-dies-aged-75.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Accused being the correct word.

Quite, but then what are we supposed to think when so many have been covered-up and protected?

MI5 spies blamed for spreading 'lurid sex scandal' rumours about Leon Brittan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2690141/MI5-spies-blamed-spreading-lurid-sex-scandal-rumours-Leon-Brittan.html
Original post by n00
Quite, but then what are we supposed to think when so many have been covered-up and protected?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2690141/MI5-spies-blamed-spreading-lurid-sex-scandal-rumours-Leon-Brittan.html

There's a public enquiry currently underway. I'll wait until that is concluded.
Reply 12
There's a public enquiry currently underway.

No there isn't. It has been stopped. We're no closer than 6 odd months ago when it was setup.

If this kind of thing is to be avoided Theresa May needs to pull her finger out.
There's a public enquiry currently underway. I'll wait until that is concluded.

No one in Fleet Street seems to know anything.

When Thorpe died the obituaries amounted to "he was lucky with his jury".

Brittan's obituaries are very non-committal. No-one was waiting until he was gone to dish the dirt they didn't fancy defending before a libel jury.
Original post by n00
No there isn't. It has been stopped. We're no closer than 6 odd months ago when it was setup.

If this kind of thing is to be avoided Theresa May needs to pull her finger out.

It'll happen. Just not a big fan of jumping to conclusions.

Not too long ago there was a rather big thread about how evil the Police were for chasing down a disabled guy. A few months later thy were found to be not guilty but our usual faux outrage brigade weren't bothered.

I'll wait until the enquiry is done....or more evidence comes to light after he's died.
Reply 15
Original post by nulli tertius
No one in Fleet Street seems to know anything.

When Thorpe died the obituaries amounted to "he was lucky with his jury".

Brittan's obituaries are very non-committal. No-one was waiting until he was gone to dish the dirt they didn't fancy defending before a libel jury.

And Cyril Smith?
Original post by n00
And Cyril Smith?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sir-cyril-smith-dies-aged-245375

Not all the newspapers said anything. The Telegraph certainly didn't.

You can't judge a man's guilt or innocence by what newspapers don't write. All it shows is that the libel laws weren't holding back a torrent of privately circulating rumours about Brittan.

There were also a lot of tributes from people who could have sat on their hands if they thought such statements might come back to hurt them. Heseltine hasn't commented which is understandable. Neither has Ken Clarke, but that might be due to this news http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11359635/Child-star-accused-of-falsely-claiming-Ken-Clarke-indecently-assaulted-him.html
Reply 17
It'll happen. Just not a big fan of jumping to conclusions.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions but he's dead now so we're free to talk about the accusations. Je suis charlie
Reply 18
Original post by nulli tertius

You can't judge a man's guilt or innocence by what newspapers don't write.

I'm not, it seemed like you were though.
Original post by n00
I'm not, it seemed like you were though.

No. I think the problem you have is that you think that if 1 or 2 or 22 politicians have been engaged in criminal behaviour, that means number 23 has as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending