The Student Room Group

Halogens: Iodine as an Antiseptic

Why is it a good antiseptic?
Iodine damages the walls of the cells that make up the micro-organisms and causes the insides to leak out of the cells. This stops the micro-organisms from being able to make important proteins that are necessary for the organism to survive, so the micro-organism dies, and the infection disappears. (I just googled it)
Reply 2
Original post by Strom
Iodine damages the walls of the cells that make up the micro-organisms and causes the insides to leak out of the cells. This stops the micro-organisms from being able to make important proteins that are necessary for the organism to survive, so the micro-organism dies, and the infection disappears. (I just googled it)

I did too, but most of it seemed really complicated... Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by Strom

Would you mind telling me your source?
Reply 5
MORE HELP NEEDED! Rather URGENTLY.

I've had a good google search, but still cannot find the answer to this question.

Why can't Tincture of Iodine be used on deep wounds, or animal bites?

Thanks, and any help is much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest