The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 01/06/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sk942015
I know I think we missed it :frown: Anyways hows your politics revision going? :smile:

How much have you done

Tomorrow going library and starting with Democracy....
Need to finish ASAP so I can do some past papers....
Original post by Pato1
No, it's in april aswell my school are going to it

What date in April?
Original post by ejanek
are most people revising two topics for unit 1 and three topics for unit 2?

Yes I'm revising two topics for unit 1 as I don't really have enough time for 3 but for unit 3 you do have to revise 3 as I first thought you don't need to but then went through exam papers and realised you do unless your a genius and can predict exactly what will come up lol e.g for section A - prime minister and constitution and section B - parliament and the judiciary ; If I was to revise only prime minister and parliament the questions would have to come up like that in order for me to pass or else I'm doomed basically. Don't know if that made sense but I'm going to revise constitution (already hate the sound of it lol) prime minister and parliament -I've never heard of anyone actually revising judiciary most colleges leave it out too as its quite difficult and alot to learn.
Yes I'm revising two topics for unit 1 as I don't really have enough time for 3 but for unit 3 you do have to revise 3 as I first thought you don't need to but then went through exam papers and realised you do unless your a genius and can predict exactly what will come up lol e.g for section A - prime minister and constitution and section B - parliament and the judiciary ; If I was to revise only prime minister and parliament the questions would have to come up like that in order for me to pass or else I'm doomed basically. Don't know if that made sense but I'm going to revise constitution (already hate the sound of it lol) prime minister and parliament -I've never heard of anyone actually revising judiciary most colleges leave it out too as its quite difficult and alot to learn.

How are you revising? Note taking from the text book?

Also you are right....you have to revise 3 for Unit 2
Original post by xxvine
How are you revising? Note taking from the text book?

Also you are right....you have to revise 3 for Unit 2

Yes from the neil McNaughton fourth edition text book. its so intense the information in there but majority of it is vital. Yes I realised but I just don't like constitution seems so hard.
Original post by contradicta
I'm planning to revise only 3 topics for unit 1 (skipping political parties)

But for unit 2 I don't see any way to not revise all 4?
Say you revise 3, and 2 of those come up in the sources section - then you are forced to do the 40mark question on the topic you have left, even if the question is naff?

Personally what I think is you only need to revise 3 topics for unit 2 because look for example if you were to revise just 3 topics - Parliament, prime-minister and the constitution and for section A its based on prime-minister and constitution and section B is parliament and the judiciary you will be fine because you've revised those 3 topics and can choose what to answer- do you understand?

so revising a 4th topic will be pointless unless you like the topic/want to/ etc. You definitely can't get away with revising just two topics because those two topics may be put under the same section e.g - Section A then your in trouble because you wont know what to write for section B as you would have only revised 2 topics ; UNLESS as I said before you are a genius and predict REALLY well.
Reply 106
ive done research

for constitution

Over the 10 different Exams (Jun '14 - Jun 09)

There has been 7 40 markers and only 3 [5,25,40] markers
Reply 107
Parliament:

4 40 markers
6 [5,10,25]

However two of the 40 markers were in Jun 14 and Jun 13 suggesting that it could be a [5,10,25] for 2015.
How did you find the 2014 questions? Do you mind sharing them?
Reply 110
It's official, Constitution and Parliament have never been in the same section ever.
Original post by Pato1
It's official, Constitution and Parliament have never been in the same section ever.

what seriously so does that possibly mean it'll be this june?
Original post by xxvine
Coming to think about it Unit 1 was quiet a tricky paper...

I did unit 1 last year and actually found it quite easy! I did democracy and elections, democracy is straight forward and the 25 marker was a blessing. For elections the morning before the exam whilst getting ready I watched pre chewed politics videos on the different systems and I was sorted!, pre chewed is a great resource if available!
Original post by emilyak
I did unit 1 last year and actually found it quite easy! I did democracy and elections, democracy is straight forward and the 25 marker was a blessing. For elections the morning before the exam whilst getting ready I watched pre chewed politics videos on the different systems and I was sorted!, pre chewed is a great resource if available!

I am guessing you got an A for that paper?

May I ask you know for the democracy 25 marker.......'Assess the strengths of uk representative democracy'...are you supposed to write about the strengths only or are you supposed to talk about the weaknesses as well....?

How did you answer it?
Original post by xxvine
I am guessing you got an A for that paper?

May I ask you know for the democracy 25 marker.......'Assess the strengths of uk representative democracy'...are you supposed to write about the strengths only or are you supposed to talk about the weaknesses as well....?

How did you answer it?

Yes I did!, because it's says 'assess' this means both strengths and weaknesses need to be discussed and then come to a judgement of how far, don't sit on the fence!. I can't remember the content I put in but the structure was
Intro - brief Start to show background knowledge and give direction to the essay
3 points with both 'for' and 'against' arguments using mini conclusion to assess the strength of the point
Conclusion - round up your essay and come to a decision on your stance making sure you say what the strongest argument is
Hope I helped!
Original post by emilyak
Yes I did!, because it's says 'assess' this means both strengths and weaknesses need to be discussed and then come to a judgement of how far, don't sit on the fence!. I can't remember the content I put in but the structure was
Intro - brief Start to show background knowledge and give direction to the essay
3 points with both 'for' and 'against' arguments using mini conclusion to assess the strength of the point
Conclusion - round up your essay and come to a decision on your stance making sure you say what the strongest argument is
Hope I helped!

Thanks.......
So you have to give a conclusion and say if you agree that the UK is representative.....(can't remember the question) or it is not a representative democracy? Basically your opinion?
Original post by emilyak
Hope I helped!

Hi there!

I actually think the unit 1 paper the questions was so easy compared to others I've seen (well if you revised the topics well theres no way you could fail). Also I was told we need to do 5 points within them a for and against :/ now im confused is 3 enough unless you wrote about the points in a lot of detail :/ arghh confusing... :frown:

Also what do you mean by 'give direction to the essay' - and when you said say what the strongest argument is in conclusion - what do you mean by that; sorry for all the questions! But my panic mode has officially kicked in!
Hi there!

I actually think the unit 1 paper the questions was so easy compared to others I've seen (well if you revised the topics well theres no way you could fail). Also I was told we need to do 5 points within them a for and against :/ now im confused is 3 enough unless you wrote about the points in a lot of detail :/ arghh confusing... :frown:

Also what do you mean by 'give direction to the essay' - and when you said say what the strongest argument is in conclusion - what do you mean by that; sorry for all the questions! But my panic mode has officially kicked in!

Don't panic!!!, that's what I mean by 3 points with for and against so ideally you'd have 5/6 arguments say for example the UK is democratic because everyone has one vote (for) however,because of first-past-the-post votes are wasted (against) ( i am aware this is a weak point im just using it for exemplars purposes) so you can have 3 over riding themes or topics which have strengths and weaknesses within them.
Also by giving direction I mean outlining what you will dicuss and what side you will argue.
For the conclusion you would say, in conclusion I think that the UK is democratic, the strongest argument for this is elections because everyone is given a voice ect..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
any tips on unit 1 edexcel exam technique? i know i need to work on more detail but im not sure how, any up to date info on political parties or pressure groups would be appreciated :smile: (Edexcel, Unit 1, AS Level btw)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending