The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Politics Paper 2 (9PL0 02) 7th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Hi!

Made this forum for the 2023 Edexcel Politics Paper 2 - how are people feeling? :h:

@Evil Homer @Pwca

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bebe1108
Hi!

Made this forum for the 2023 Edexcel Politics Paper 2 - how are people feeling? :h:

@Evil Homer @Pwca

Hey :smile:

Nice preparation, will get it added into the directory and everything tomorrow morning for you!

How you feeling about this paper?
Reply 2
Hi!

@Evil Homer @Pwca

hellooo
Reply 3
Hi!

@Evil Homer @Pwca

After today's Paper 1 I think it's more than likely that non-Advanced Info content from last year comes up in Paper 2 now. Edexcel perhaps also responded to criticism from the 'pick 'n mix' question as well as the pressure groups + media one (2 topic in 1 q), such that today's paper was much more clearly and linearly structured question-wise.

I'm thinking that EU is more than likely to come up now as not only was it omitted from last year's paper but Edexcel put out a notice late last year (here) revising its purpose and relevance on the spec, moreover one of the 30 markers in last year's AS Paper 2 was on the EU. I also think that sovereignty more generally is likely to come up as although it's in the Sample Paper, Edexcel clearly proved that that will not stop them at all from including it in the real thing as seen by today's first source question on general elections along with liberalism on the state which are both pretty much in the Sample Paper. Back half of chapter 3 is also p likely along with general gov control of parliament. Something on a British Bill of Rights too? Tho now that Raab is gone idk how relevant that'd be. Obvs I'm not saying just revise these things alone but if Paper 1 was any indication, exam content can be accurately predicted to a certain extent.
Reply 4
Original post by Tarz786
hellooo

Hey! How are you feeling about the next paper/did paper 1 go well for you? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ALMO42
After today's Paper 1 I think it's more than likely that non-Advanced Info content from last year comes up in Paper 2 now. Edexcel perhaps also responded to criticism from the 'pick 'n mix' question as well as the pressure groups + media one (2 topic in 1 q), such that today's paper was much more clearly and linearly structured question-wise.

I'm thinking that EU is more than likely to come up now as not only was it omitted from last year's paper but Edexcel put out a notice late last year (here) revising its purpose and relevance on the spec, moreover one of the 30 markers in last year's AS Paper 2 was on the EU. I also think that sovereignty more generally is likely to come up as although it's in the Sample Paper, Edexcel clearly proved that that will not stop them at all from including it in the real thing as seen by today's first source question on general elections along with liberalism on the state which are both pretty much in the Sample Paper. Back half of chapter 3 is also p likely along with general gov control of parliament. Something on a British Bill of Rights too? Tho now that Raab is gone idk how relevant that'd be. Obvs I'm not saying just revise these things alone but if Paper 1 was any indication, exam content can be accurately predicted to a certain extent.

this is so useful thanks!! i think these papers are quite easy to predict because of advanced info last year - one of the source and both of the essay Qs in paper 1 i had predicted would come up. definitely a good idea to look at what was excluded from last years advanced info :rolleyes:
hey guys does anyone know what came up last year for paper 2 edexcel
Reply 7
Original post by jayjay1222

Here’s the whole paper:

https://cdn.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/2023/04/9pl0-02-que-20220610-qp-alevel-paper2.pdf
Reply 8
Original post by jayjay1222

I had last year's paper as my mock and the Q's were:

Evaluate the view that Parliament is ineffective in shaping government legislation.
Evaluate the view that devolution has caused more problems than it has solved.
Evaluate the view that the SC operates with independence and neutrality.
Evaluate the view that IMR and CMR are both still important.

Not sure which ideology you do but the feminism ones were if they agree/disagree as a whole, and a question on patriarchy.
Reply 9
Hey! How are you feeling about the next paper/did paper 1 go well for you? :smile:

It was fine thank you, and yourself?
Reply 10
I had last year's paper as my mock and the Q's were:

Evaluate the view that Parliament is ineffective in shaping government legislation.
Evaluate the view that devolution has caused more problems than it has solved.
Evaluate the view that the SC operates with independence and neutrality.
Evaluate the view that IMR and CMR are both still important.

Not sure which ideology you do but the feminism ones were if they agree/disagree as a whole, and a question on patriarchy.

Do you do feminism? I do, and honestly they've literally asked everything at this point for state, soc, econ and human nature so I can't think what else. The only 'new' type question I can feasibly think of that they haven't overtly done before is one actually in the Pearson textbook I have which is TWE do feminists agree that the personal is political? Tho again idrk what they'll dream up at this point, either way at least it's only 1 ideology this time round with 2 choices thank goodness
Yeah I wouldnt be too worried about predicting the Non Core ideologys because you

1. Only need to know one which u can know rlly well
2. you will have two questions come up which means you should like at least one of them
Original post by ALMO42
Do you do feminism? I do, and honestly they've literally asked everything at this point for state, soc, econ and human nature so I can't think what else. The only 'new' type question I can feasibly think of that they haven't overtly done before is one actually in the Pearson textbook I have which is TWE do feminists agree that the personal is political? Tho again idrk what they'll dream up at this point, either way at least it's only 1 ideology this time round with 2 choices thank goodness
Reply 12
Original post by ALMO42

I do! I feel like there might be a question on private/public spheres or something, and maybe a broader one on state/econ etc.

Tbh they might repeat a question thats been asked somewhere before but word it differently (kinda like how they did with liberalism and the state on Paper 1).

We'll see but hopefully they're as nice as the first paper - at least we only have to revise one this time :h:
Reply 13
So we're thinking that paper 2 is likely to mostly be on non-advanced info stuff- so probably not devolution or debates on further reform???
Reply 14
does anyone have any idea what EU questions they could ask
Original post by henrybones
does anyone have any idea what EU questions they could ask

‘Evaluate the impact the EU has had on the UK.”
i don’t know though that might be too broad
Reply 16
Original post by nath909
So we're thinking that paper 2 is likely to mostly be on non-advanced info stuff- so probably not devolution or debates on further reform???

I wouldn't say bank on it entirely but yeah. Tho honestly doesn't devolution nearly always seem to come up no matter what haha
As for debates on further reform I think they could deffo still do something on codification/entrenchment and perhaps a British Bill of Rights given everything that's gone on in regards to wanting to place restrictions on migrants crossing the channel and the ECHR interfering w/ the whole Rwanda scheme
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by katie.watsonn
‘Evaluate the impact the EU has had on the UK.”
i don’t know though that might be too broad

The one in the 2022 AS Paper 2 which is pretty similar to that tbf
'How far do you agree that the UK's membership of the European Union has had a considerable impact on the UK political system?'

I also happen to have the mark scheme for that paper so I'll see if I can post that in here to maybe show points that could be made.
Original post by ALMO42
The one in the 2022 AS Paper 2 which is pretty similar to that tbf
'How far do you agree that the UK's membership of the European Union has had a considerable impact on the UK political system?'

I also happen to have the mark scheme for that paper so I'll see if I can post that in here to maybe show points that could be made.

that would be amazing thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending