The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Mature student - John Snow or Stephenson college?

Hello all

I am a 35 year old male and have applied for Foundation Medicine. I've managed to get an interview again for this year and hopefully i'll be successful.

I am wondering if either of the colleges are more suited to mature students?

I look forward to your replies.
I'm not actually at Durham Uni yet, but I'm looking into which accommodation I would like to live in, starting in October 2015 and stumbled accross this:
"In recent years halls have become more over-subscribed and the university has extended their accommodation to include 'university managed accommodation'. This is in a purpose-built block of student apartments called Mezzino."

"Mezzino is about 5 minutes further from campus than John Snow (which you pass on the way) and it is a large purpose-built appartment block. The flats range in size [...]. There are several differences between living in halls and living in Mezzino. Firstly the college presence is less obvious [...] and the residents are not all first years, there are a number of second and third year students too as well as masters and postgrad students."
So perhaps living here will be more enjoyable for you?

Hope that helps.
Good luck and I hope you got a place! :smile:

PS. I was contacted by Stephenson College, so I'm not sure you can choose between John or Stephenson.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Queens_campus_stockton#Mezzino
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ph80
Hello all

I am a 35 year old male and have applied for Foundation Medicine. I've managed to get an interview again for this year and hopefully i'll be successful.

I am wondering if either of the colleges are more suited to mature students?

I look forward to your replies.

Hi i'm a 31 year old student studying at the foundation centre and in John Snow college. Both have their fair share of mature students so whatever college you're assigned to will be great. I live in Mezzino and love it here, i have great flatmates and the rooms are slightly bigger than the rooms in Snow. It is slightly quieter than living in halls but i prefer that. It's just across the road from halls so any fresher activities, friends or events you want to visit it's literally just across the road. Hope this helps.
Hi lmkx

Thanks for your reply.

I attended an open day last year and saw the accommodation at Mezzino and liked it.

However, I also spoke with a few mature students who tell me they've had horrible times at Mezzino with:

* students coming in at 2am drunk and blowing whistles,
* students fibbing about what they're like on the accommodation application form (e.g. saying they're quiet but they're not, saying they're non-smokers but they do smoke etc); and
* students leaving ovens on and apparently there is a consequence to that.

My party days are long behind me and after a long day at Uni and probably a part time job, i'm going to want to relax with a nice cup of tea and not be woken up in the early hours.

That being said, i'm sure the same could be said of Uni accommodation up and down the country and across the world!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi
I got really lucky with my flatmates, i share with 3 others and they are really nice although 2 of them have woke me up on occasion but it's not often. Freshers week is probably the worst time as everyone goes out and they had whistles!!
There are smoke detectors throughout the flat and they are sensitive so anyone who decided to smoke wouldn't get away with it for long.
I think it really depends on who you get put with in a flat, they do try to put you with people with similar interests but i imagine it doesn't happen all the time as there are so many students. My flat faces the road and even though there is sometimes noise it's really not bad. Some of my classmates are in halls and they tell me its much louder over there.
Even though i've really enjoyed living here i am moving to a 1 bed flat next year.

Quick Reply

Latest