The Student Room Group

Partial fraction integration question help

I'm asked first asked to use partial fractions to express this equation.
I've also shown the values of A,B respectively.

So when I sub in -1, I notice I get a negative natural log which can't be done. Have I gone wrong somewhere ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by T-GiuR
I'm asked first asked to use partial fractions to express this equation.
I've also shown the values of A,B respectively.
http://i.gyazo.com/cb725d61273e20290b7b3c80c454522b.png

The 2nd part asks me to integrate the equation with limits -1 and 0 and to show my answer as pLn(2) were p is a rational number. So I used my partial fraction and integrated it and got the following.

[3ln(2x+1) + 5ln(2-6x)] with limits -1, 0.

So when I sub in -1, I notice I get a negative natural log which can't be done. Have I gone wrong somewhere ?

You've forgotten your modulus signs!

Don't forget that when you integrate something like 1/x you get ln |x| + c, NOT ln x + c :smile:
Original post by davros
You've forgotten your modulus signs!

Don't forget that when you integrate something like 1/x you get ln |x| + c, NOT ln x + c :smile:

So how would I go abouts calculating this with my calculator ?
Reply 3
Original post by T-GiuR
So how would I go abouts calculating this with my calculator ?

Well |x| just means replace x with -x whenever it is negative. So whenever you have a negative number appearing inside a logarithm, just replace it with the corresponding positive number.
Original post by davros
Well |x| just means replace x with -x whenever it is negative. So whenever you have a negative number appearing inside a logarithm, just replace it with the corresponding positive number.

Just to be sure, is my integral correct ? and so I just input 1 instead of -1 ?
Reply 5
Original post by T-GiuR

Just to be sure, is my integral correct ? and so I just input 1 instead of -1 ?

I'm a bit confused by the partial fraction you posted in your original image. How does 2 + x on one side turn into 2x + 1 on the other? Is it supposed to be 2 + x on both sides or 2x + 1 on both sides?
Original post by davros
I'm a bit confused by the partial fraction you posted in your original image. How does 2 + x on one side turn into 2x + 1 on the other? Is it supposed to be 2 + x on both sides or 2x + 1 on both sides?

2+x

Sorry that was a type. It should be 2+x on both sides :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by T-GiuR
2+x

Sorry that was a type. It should be 2+x on both sides :smile:

Then I don't get your partial fraction!

I get

58x(2+x)(13x)=32+x+113x\dfrac{5 - 8x}{(2+x)(1-3x)} = \dfrac{3}{2 + x} + \dfrac{1}{1 - 3x}
Original post by davros
Then I don't get your partial fraction!

I get

58x(2+x)(13x)=32+x+113x\dfrac{5 - 8x}{(2+x)(1-3x)} = \dfrac{3}{2 + x} + \dfrac{1}{1 - 3x}

Just tried it again and got that :smile:

How do I show my answer in terms of pln(2), were p is rational, given the boundries of -1 and 0 ?

The integral I got was [3ln(2+x) + ln(1-3x)]
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by T-GiuR
Just tried it again and got that :smile:

How do I show my answer in terms of pln(2), were p is rational, given the boundries of -1 and 0 ?

The integral I got was [3ln(2+x) + ln(1-3x)]

Check your 2nd term - I think you need a factor outside the ln (what would be the derivative of ln(1-3x)?)

Then you just plug the limits in - I don't see any problems with negative numbers appearing inside the logs :smile:
Original post by davros
Check your 2nd term - I think you need a factor outside the ln (what would be the derivative of ln(1-3x)?)

Then you just plug the limits in - I don't see any problems with negative numbers appearing inside the logs :smile:

Thanks, from this I get a final answer of
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by T-GiuR
Thanks, from this I get a final answer of 11/3 ln(2) ?

I get the same answer :smile:
Original post by davros
I get the same answer :smile:

Awesome. thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest