The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) C2 - Wednesday 20th May 2015

Thought it'd be nice to have a thread where we can discuss this too :smile:

Reminder - the OCR C2 exam is on Wednesday 20th May in the morning. It is a calculator paper and lasts for 1h 30min. The paper will be marked out of 72.
As guidance, the grade boundaries in the last two years were as follows:
June 2013: A - 59, B - 53, C - 47, D - 41, E - 35.
June 2014: A - 56, B - 49, C - 43, D - 37, E - 31.

Useful resources:
Past papers back to January 2005 with all the mark schemes. Alternatively papers are on the OCR website.
The specification can be found here (scroll to C2).
Useful revision notes here.

Good luck everyone! :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any help for the 'show that blah blah = log blah blah' questions.
I can do simple logs but these ones seem extra difficult and seem to keep up every year.
Reply 2
Original post by HecTic_H
Any help for the 'show that blah blah = log blah blah' questions.
I can do simple logs but these ones seem extra difficult and seem to keep up every year.

Yeah the difficulty of logs questions has definitely increased recently. Just try to think logically as they can only be based on the logs rules you've learnt.
Generally quite hard to be helpful without specific examples, so I included an example below :smile: If you follow basic algebra and logs rules, collect the x terms on one side (or whatever you're trying to find) and simplify as much as possible you should be fine. At least if the questions is a 'show that' question, you know where you're headed and you can sometimes use this to try and help you out.

This is from last years paper, which we did as a mock:
IMG_6817.jpg
Gonna have fun relearning trig equations, identities, binomial expansion, logs and radians.
Reply 4
Original post by Peppercrunch
Gonna have fun relearning trig equations, identities, binomial expansion, logs and radians.

Binomial expansion is in the formula booklet :smile:
Original post by chloe-jessica
Binomial expansion is in the formula booklet :smile:

:smile:
Sequences and the trapezium rule are also in the formula booklet right?

Bricking it for S1 after half term...
Reply 6
:smile:
Sequences and the trapezium rule are also in the formula booklet right?

Bricking it for S1 after half term...

Yep, arithmetic & geometric are both there along with the trapezium rule. I actually quite like S1 (as an exam, stats as a subject bores me to death) since 99% of it is in the formula booklet! If you can learn the formulae for standard deviation, you're pretty much on for a good grade :smile:
Yep, arithmetic & geometric are both there along with the trapezium rule. I actually quite like S1 (as an exam, stats as a subject bores me to death) since 99% of it is in the formula booklet! If you can learn the formulae for standard deviation, you're pretty much on for a good grade :smile:

Yea, that's the good thing about S1 (I also find it tedious), 90% of the stuff is in the formula booklet. I hate permutations and combinations as well as binomial + geometric distribution as they require more thinking.
Reply 8
Yea, that's the good thing about S1 (I also find it tedious), 90% of the stuff is in the formula booklet. I hate permutations and combinations as well as binomial + geometric distribution as they require more thinking.

I always mess up the questions about the two conditions for binomial probability. I know them in theory, though somehow I always never get the context right despite how much I try. And agreed, combinations and permutations is the worst topic.
Thought it'd be nice to have a thread where we can discuss this too :smile:

Reminder - Reminder - the OCR C1 exam is on Wednesday 20th May in the morning. It is a calculator paper and lasts for 1h 30min. The paper will be marked out of 72.
As guidance, the grade boundaries in the last two years were as follows:
June 2013: A - 59, B - 53, C - 47, D - 41, E - 35.
June 2014: A - 56, B - 49, C - 43, D - 37, E - 31.

Useful resources:
Past papers back to January 2005 with all the mark schemes. Alternatively papers are on the OCR website.
The specification can be found here (scroll to C2).
Useful revision notes here.

Good luck everyone! :smile:

typo, C2 not C1 :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by ella_chloe
typo, C2 not C1 :tongue:

Oops, my bad. Thank you!
i find c2 easiest of the three, surprised to see the grade boundaries so much lower than previous C1 ones for an A!
To get 100% UMS do you think you have to get 72/72, or perhaps you could drop a mark or two and still get full UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by bananasjosh
To get 100% UMS do you think you have to get 72/72, or perhaps you could drop a mark or two and still get full UMS? Posted from TSR Mobile
Going by last years grade boundaries - 59 was an A. 2013×x=100\frac{20}{13} \times x = 100 (20 marks equivalent UMS grade (100-80) divided by the raw grade boundary (72-59)) x = 65 therefore you needed 65 marks to get 100 UMS last year. Hope this helps.
Is it unusual that I find C2 a bit easier than C1? :s-smilie:
I'm partway through relearning it and it's quite easy to pick up again.
whats the hardest c2 paper anyone has tried? I had a go at jan 2013 which was really difficult :s-smilie:
Original post by loooolo12345
whats the hardest c2 paper anyone has tried? I had a go at jan 2013 which was really difficult :s-smilie:

June 07 wasnt a particularly lovely one
i needed help with a q but got it now
(edited 8 years ago)
Is it unusual that I find C2 a bit easier than C1? :s-smilie:
I'm partway through relearning it and it's quite easy to pick up again.

Not unusual i agree prefer c2 much more, but there are annoyingly a few things we just have to learn like log rules but its definitely easier then c1 :smile:
Reply 19
If we simply write down the correct answer, with let's say little to no working, will we receive ALL the marks or just the one or two which are rewarded specifically for the answer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending