The Student Room Group

chemistry unit 2 aqa thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rumana101
does it gain 3 electrons?

gains - 1 mark
3 electrons- 2 marks
this thread is so helpful! my chemistry teacher didn't tell us anything about exam technique :frown:
Original post by Terrydaktal
gains - 1 mark
3 electrons- 2 marks

woo:biggrin:
Original post by bethanystephens_
how are you all feeling
what do you think the 6 marker will be this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people think that the Six marker is going to be on forming salts. But I hope it's electrolysis of Brine. :tongue:
what do we need to know about thermosoftning and thermosetting polymers?
Reply 85
For the useful products from electrolysis of brine, is it just chlorine makes bleach and plastics and sodium hydroxide is alkali which makes soap? Is there anything else I need to know? What can the hydrogen be used for?
does anyone know all we need to know about making salts?
Reply 87
Can someone please explain what a lattice is please?
Original post by spnlove
For the useful products from electrolysis of brine, is it just chlorine makes bleach and plastics and sodium hydroxide is alkali which makes soap? Is there anything else I need to know? What can the hydrogen be used for?

as a fuel
Reply 89

Thermosoftening polymers: Made from individual tangled chains held together with weak intermolecular forces (no crosslinks). As they don't have crosslinks, the forces between the chains are really easy to overcome so it melts easily. When it cools it hardens into a new shape. You can melt and remould these as many times as you like.

Thermosetting polymers: Have strong intermolecular forces (crosslinks) between the polymer chains which hold the chains firmly together. This is why it doesn't soften when heater making the polymers strong,hard and rigid.

Does anyone know if low density polythene is a thermosoftening polymer and HD polythene is a thermosetting polymer or are they completely different?
I'm feeling like a single blade of grass, you never know what is in the box of Chocolates.

Your Friend
L.Zoop

ff.jpeg
Reply 91
does anyone know all we need to know about making salts?

On another thread, the three methods were described, here's the link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3314383&page=8&p=55756897#post55756897
Can someone explain the entire C2 pls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm joking but can someone actually explain me chromatography and gas chromatography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, thermosoftening do not have cross links between the chains of monomers therefore they can melt
thermosetting have crosslinks so they do not melt

thermosoftening are not ideal for packaging hot food as it would melt.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dumb cabbage
I'm joking but can someone actually explain me chromatography and gas chromatography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

chromatography is the art of dipping chromatography paper into a solvent and leaving it so it joust touches the solvent and leaving it , the colours begin to travel up the page and the coloured compound with the least mass will travel further than the others, one can determine wht compunds are in substances by seeing the distance it travelled and the colour

gas chromatography is quicker and more accurate,
-gas carries the compounds
-in a column
-separates the compounds
-the compounds travel at different speeds
-one can determine what the compounds are due to the speed etc
Original post by spnlove
Thermosoftening polymers: Made from individual tangled chains held together with weak intermolecular forces (no crosslinks). As they don't have crosslinks, the forces between the chains are really easy to overcome so it melts easily. When it cools it hardens into a new shape. You can melt and remould these as many times as you like.

Thermosetting polymers: Have strong intermolecular forces (crosslinks) between the polymer chains which hold the chains firmly together. This is why it doesn't soften when heater making the polymers strong,hard and rigid.

Does anyone know if low density polythene is a thermosoftening polymer and HD polythene is a thermosetting polymer or are they completely different?

or to be more specific, the chains are chains of monomers
Original post by Terrydaktal
chromatography is the art of dipping chromatography paper into a solvent and leaving it so it joust touches the solvent and leaving it , the colours begin to travel up the page and the coloured compound with the least mass will travel further than the others, one can determine wht compunds are in substances by seeing the distance it travelled and the colour

gas chromatography is quicker and more accurate,
-gas carries the compounds
-in a column
-separates the compounds
-the compounds travel at different speeds
-one can determine what the compounds are due to the speed etc

Omg that's so helpful thanks :smile: erm could you explain bases please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
In need of desperate help..

somebody plesse explain to me the basics of salts e.g what is a precipitate and different methods of making different salts
what is an insoluble base?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending