The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Maths C2 May 20th 2015

So, how is preparation going for the exam that's supposed to be harder than the C1 paper we just had??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im resitting C1 C2 and M1. Yes C1 was a difficult paper but that was only because it was new, it threw everyone off guard. Last year's C2 exam was horrible, so hopefully, with luck it will be nicer this time. However i have a feeling that with all these complaints going to WJEC telling them that their maths exams were too easy pre 2013, you should prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Other than that, good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by manjot97
Im resitting C1 C2 and M1. Yes C1 was a difficult paper but that was only because it was new, it threw everyone off guard. Last year's C2 exam was horrible, so hopefully, with luck it will be nicer this time. However i have a feeling that with all these complaints going to WJEC telling them that their maths exams were too easy pre 2013, you should prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Other than that, good luck :smile:

Oh I was fine with it, it's just that other people found it very hard!
Last year's C2 exam wasn't too bad I don't think? Which questions did you find hard?
What do you think you got in C1 (having possibly looked at the unofficial mark scheme)? I expected it to be a lot harder, because as you said, WJEC were just too predictable and too repetitive.
Reply 3
Original post by PrimeLime
Oh I was fine with it, it's just that other people found it very hard!
Last year's C2 exam wasn't too bad I don't think? Which questions did you find hard?
What do you think you got in C1 (having possibly looked at the unofficial mark scheme)? I expected it to be a lot harder, because as you said, WJEC were just too predictable and too repetitive.

Last year i had a B in C1, so i was just resitting because its easier to score higher in it compared to the other modules, but yeah, i exaggerated c2 a bit, it wasn't that bad, i just had(gave) my self one day to revise for it and i didnt do the logs and sectors question, so i had a C. But looking at that C1 exam, i found it ok, the only question i couldnt do was the binomial part b. Question 10 was new, but i checked with my teacher and i know i had the right answer so it was fine. How about you?
Reply 4
Original post by manjot97
Last year i had a B in C1, so i was just resitting because its easier to score higher in it compared to the other modules, but yeah, i exaggerated c2 a bit, it wasn't that bad, i just had(gave) my self one day to revise for it and i didnt do the logs and sectors question, so i had a C. But looking at that C1 exam, i found it ok, the only question i couldnt do was the binomial part b. Question 10 was new, but i checked with my teacher and i know i had the right answer so it was fine. How about you?

So you got 1/2 for the last part of question 1? Loads of people got that wrong!
Binomial part b was a little bit tricky, but it just involved making use of your answer to part a.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Not feeling good about it (yet). For some reason I find it way harder than C1. I think there's just too many formulas to remember.
Reply 6
Original post by goodies
Not feeling good about it (yet). For some reason I find it way harder than C1. I think there's just too many formulas to remember.

I think most people find it a lot harder than C1.
There aren't too many formulas to 'remember'. Only sine rule and cosine rule. Nothing else needs to be memorised if you understand how it works/how to derive it.
Anything in particular you're struggling with? I'd be happy to help.
PrimeLine, you seen any tougher past papers with harder/different questions so I can practise them? I've done everything from 2010-14 twice, some papers 3 times. The good thing about maths is you never remember the answers on the paper, you still have to go through the process of working them out which helps a lot.
Reply 8
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
PrimeLine, you seen any tougher past papers with harder/different questions so I can practise them? I've done everything from 2010-14 twice, some papers 3 times. The good thing about maths is you never remember the answers on the paper, you still have to go through the process of working them out which helps a lot.

Last second past papers I see? XD
Jan 2013 is a good one, probably the hardest (apart from Jan 2014 and June 2014). But seriously there aren't any really hard papers (until after tomorrow, that is) that you can do. There are some tricky questions in different papers, but I wouldn't say there are any specifically tough papers themselves (again, you could say that the 2014s are on the tough side compared to the others). If you've done all of those 3 times, you should be more than ready. :biggrin:
ayyyyy :cool: c2 thread boiz
Reply 10
Good luck everyone!
Well that was ****ing awful.
Reply 12
Reckon that was a very nice exam up until 8C and 9
could have been worse :smile:
Reply 14
Well I failed.
what was wrong with 8c? it was just pythagoras ?
Reply 16
that. was. brutal.
Reply 17
It was a pretty standard paper I think. The only exception was the last question which caught a lot of people out. It was tricky, but it was still the same stuff as usual, just sort of in disguise.
Looking back, I'd have to say that grade boundaries won't be too low, since there wasn't too much else that was trickier than usual. Integration for areas was a bit awkward and possibly some of the trig questions. So grade boundaries will probably be slight lower than usual, say, 4 marks lower for an A or something.
Reply 18
I actually got the last question, the harder parts for me were question 2a 2c, used the wrong equation to find K so got a stupid answer :< last but one just fluffed up, didnt see the trig.
does anyone know where i can find the unofficial c2 aqa mark scheme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending