The Student Room Group

applying to universities with grades which don't exactly match their requirements

Hi, I've finished sixth form and have received my grades A*BB and also a B in Core maths which is worth half an A level and have 152 UCAS points overall. I'm applying to university on my own but I'm unsure if i apply to a university with grades that differ to my own like AAB or ABB would it still be worth applying even though I don't have these exact grades and would be applying even though the grades are higher. When I look at the tariff points for the course I have enough but the grades aren't always exact. Could my core maths grade (maths version of EPQ) lower the grade boundaries? Any advice on this would be super helpful as i'm finding the whole process quite stressful. Thanks!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
I would contact the unis directly, it might vary from place to place. Even they probably won't be able to tell you for definite though as it will depend what everyone else who applies have predicted. You can definitely apply for an ABB uni with an A*BB though and should definitely include your core maths result when you apply. Contact any that want AAB and ask them, I reckon they'd encourage you to apply, just apply to some a little higher and some a little lower so you have a range of options.
Original post by grace.louise1905
Hi, I've finished sixth form and have received my grades A*BB and also a B in Core maths which is worth half an A level and have 152 UCAS points overall. I'm applying to university on my own but I'm unsure if i apply to a university with grades that differ to my own like AAB or ABB would it still be worth applying even though I don't have these exact grades and would be applying even though the grades are higher. When I look at the tariff points for the course I have enough but the grades aren't always exact. Could my core maths grade (maths version of EPQ) lower the grade boundaries? Any advice on this would be super helpful as i'm finding the whole process quite stressful. Thanks!

Before I answer you question, I'd like to ask you one. If you're applying without the support of your school / college, do you have someone who will be in a position to write your academic reference? (Don't panic if you hadn't though of that, as there are options if you haven't.)

If you're applying to universities which present their entry requirements in the form of UCAS points, then your UCAS points are relevant. If they state their requirements in terms of grades, then it's the grades that are important.

You could reasonably apply to one or two unis were your achieved grades don't quite meet their requirements, like AAB for example. (Your A*BB does not meet the AAB requirement.) But you should definitely be looking primarily at courses where you meet (or even exceed) the requirements as they have written them.

Some unis will lower their requirements if you have Core Maths in addition to A levels. For example, Bath will make you an "alternative offer" (i.e. with a lower grade requirement) if you have "grade B in any Core Mathematics qualification" (as long as "Mathematics is not an essential subject for your degree") - see here. For example, for Sociology that ask for AAB normally, but the alternative offer (as you have a B in Core Maths) would be ABB.
just to check, you know you have to use Ucas to apply?

From helping my daughter this year, it seems if you apply in the normal cycle (ie Ucas in autumn for entry next year), then most Unis seem to look for you to have their typical offer or thereabouts. More competitive Unis / courses wont be interested if you are below, less competitive Unis / course will be more flexible

In clearing things seem to be slightly more flexible, Unis want to fill courses with folks who (i) can do the work (ii) will finish the course but seem to be more willing to stretch boundaries to fill the course

Another thing to consider is if you are potentially a 'widening participation' student, the usually get more flexible offers. Uniguide can be a good source of what students actually got grade wise to get on individual courses
Reply 4
Which course and which universities? That makes a lot of difference.
Original post by DataVenia
Before I answer you question, I'd like to ask you one. If you're applying without the support of your school / college, do you have someone who will be in a position to write your academic reference? (Don't panic if you hadn't though of that, as there are options if you haven't.)

If you're applying to universities which present their entry requirements in the form of UCAS points, then your UCAS points are relevant. If they state their requirements in terms of grades, then it's the grades that are important.

You could reasonably apply to one or two unis were your achieved grades don't quite meet their requirements, like AAB for example. (Your A*BB does not meet the AAB requirement.) But you should definitely be looking primarily at courses where you meet (or even exceed) the requirements as they have written them.

Some unis will lower their requirements if you have Core Maths in addition to A levels. For example, Bath will make you an "alternative offer" (i.e. with a lower grade requirement) if you have "grade B in any Core Mathematics qualification" (as long as "Mathematics is not an essential subject for your degree") - see here. For example, for Sociology that ask for AAB normally, but the alternative offer (as you have a B in Core Maths) would be ABB.

Thank you so much for this, I got my reference from my sixth form teachers before I left year 13 so I have it saved already.
Original post by ChiefBrody
just to check, you know you have to use Ucas to apply?

From helping my daughter this year, it seems if you apply in the normal cycle (ie Ucas in autumn for entry next year), then most Unis seem to look for you to have their typical offer or thereabouts. More competitive Unis / courses wont be interested if you are below, less competitive Unis / course will be more flexible

In clearing things seem to be slightly more flexible, Unis want to fill courses with folks who (i) can do the work (ii) will finish the course but seem to be more willing to stretch boundaries to fill the course

Another thing to consider is if you are potentially a 'widening participation' student, the usually get more flexible offers. Uniguide can be a good source of what students actually got grade wise to get on individual courses

Hi thanks for your reply, yes I am using UCAS to apply. What is a widening participation student?
Original post by ajj2000
Which course and which universities? That makes a lot of difference.

I want to do a philosophy or anthropology course with spanish too. There are quite a few universities which do this course with a modern language so I'm not quite sure which university yet possibly bristol, I need to do more research into the course details then create a shortlist
Reply 8
I want to do a philosophy or anthropology course with spanish too. There are quite a few universities which do this course with a modern language so I'm not quite sure which university yet possibly bristol, I need to do more research into the course details then create a shortlist

Sounds wonderful! Which subject was the a star in?
Original post by ajj2000
Sounds wonderful! Which subject was the a star in?

Thank you! It was in criminology
Thank you so much for this, I got my reference from my sixth form teachers before I left year 13 so I have it saved already.

The UCAS application process doesn't provide you the option to upload a reference written previously. If it did, there would be an awful lot of "creative" candidates with glowing references written by themselves (and purporting to come from others). Instead, you're asked to provide the details of your referee. Once you submit the application, UCAS contact your referee and ask them to add the academic reference to your application (and predicted grades, if necessary). I suggest you contact your old sixth form and ask if they'd be happy to be your referee (they can just submit the reference they've already written).

The alternative, which I wouldn't recommend, is to contact each of the universities to which you'll be applying and ask if they'd be prepared to accept the academic reference you have. If they all agree, then you could omit the one in the UCAS application itself.

Be careful here. This isn't an A level, it's a WJEC Level 3 Applied Certificate / Diploma. Many universities accept it, but some do not. So when you're checking the entry requirements of various courses, do make sure you check that they're happy to accept it.
What is a widening participation student?

Not my area of expertise, you will have to google / read around. Most Unis will explain what they mean by it somewhere in the entry requirements

Basically (as I understand it) some students are entitled to lower than standard offers. There are rules, so things like: children in care, carers, specific low income schools / postcodes / income brackets etc. Maybe parents didn't go to uni?

You are looking at Uni subjects that probably aren't that competitive (I assume, again not my area of expertise), so Unis may well be a bit more flexible on grades. Also combined courses (eg Anthropology and Spanish) can sometimes be less competitive too.

The other thing that can make grade demands higher are course with placements, because they are more in demand. Often (sometimes?) you can change track once you have started. If you do decide on a non-placement course do make sure you use the uni holidays to get relevant work experience - the main reason most people go to Uni is to get a job after all and its common for graduates without work relevant experience to struggle

The rule of thumb with Unis / courses is to have a stretch, target and insurance (or 2) to give you a range of choices
(edited 7 months ago)

Be aware some universities wont accept WJEC level 3 Criminology. UCL is one and I believe Bristol is as well. Check with the university before applying.
Original post by swanseajack1
Be aware some universities wont accept WJEC level 3 Criminology. UCL is one and I believe Bristol is as well. Check with the university before applying.

WJEC Level 3 Diploma / Applied Diploma in Criminology

We accept the WJEC Level 3 Diploma in Criminology and WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology in lieu of one A-level for all courses offered within our Faculty of Social Science and Law.

This qualification must be accompanied by two A-levels, or one A-level and a further A-level-equivalent qualification. It cannot be used to satisfy a subject-specific A-level requirement.

We do not accept this qualification for entry to any other undergraduate courses
Original post by swanseajack1
WJEC Level 3 Diploma / Applied Diploma in Criminology

We accept the WJEC Level 3 Diploma in Criminology and WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology in lieu of one A-level for all courses offered within our Faculty of Social Science and Law.

This qualification must be accompanied by two A-levels, or one A-level and a further A-level-equivalent qualification. It cannot be used to satisfy a subject-specific A-level requirement.

We do not accept this qualification for entry to any other undergraduate courses

Which university is this for? Where did you find this?

It's on this page under 'Qualifications suitable only for entry to specific courses' - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/uk-qualifications/#quals
Reply 16

Bristol: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/uk-qualification

Check similar general entry requirement pages at other unis to see this sort of comment and their opinions on the certificate, for example:
Bath: https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/uk-qualification-guidance/#wjec-level-3-applied-3-diplomas
UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/how-apply/entry-requirements

(Just search these sorts of pages for WJEC and see if anything comes up)

It is from Bristol's website. Bristol didnt use to accept it at all. The WJEC level 3 in criminology is quite difficult. It is sold by colleges as being equivalent to an A level but many English universities dont accept it as that. Something similar to the Welsh Bac which a number of English universities dont accept particularly in London
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending