The Student Room Group

AS help URGENT

Hi,

So doing my additional maths exams which is equivalent to as levels. I really need help...So I'am doing P12 in the link I'am doing below, my first question is how do you solve q8 ii and iiii?

Link:https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B108wb6vqF_8T0JQX3AxRkNTb00&usp=drive_web&tid=0BzumkDfi9230cS1pd0xaVWFGN0k

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaWolfZ
Hi,

So doing my additional maths exams which is equivalent to as levels. I really need help...So I'am doing P12 in the link I'am doing below, my first question is how do you solve q8 ii and iiii?

Link:https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B108wb6vqF_8T0JQX3AxRkNTb00&usp=drive_web&tid=0BzumkDfi9230cS1pd0xaVWFGN0k

Is it the paper with the question about p and V?

If so, think about what your equation should be for i) and how your graph will help for ii, and then how you can do iii.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM

If so, think about what your equation should be for i) and how your graph will help for ii, and then how you can do iii.

No it is the the question about combination and permutations. P12, q8. :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM

Oh and how would you solve this simultaneous equation:

2^4x x 4^ x 8^x-y=1 and 3^x+y=1/3
No it is the the question about combination and permutations. P12, q8. :wink:

It looks like for both parts, you should think about what digits you've been given, and maybe assume that if you have for example 10 different ways of doing it, and 5 methods of doing it, each method has an equal amount of ways (2) to contribute to the 10 ways.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
It looks like for both parts, you should think about what digits you've been given, and maybe assume that if you have for example 10 different ways of doing it, and 5 methods of doing it, each method has an equal amount of ways (2) to contribute to the 10 ways.

Oh thanks a bunch. What about solving this simultaneous equation;

Oh and how would you solve this simultaneous equation:

Is it 2^(4x) * 4^x * 8^(x) - y = 1 and 3^(x) + y = 1/3?
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM

Nope, the indie of 4 is y and the inside of 8 is x-y. The indice of the 3 is x+y :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM

Is it even possible to solve using the usual methods? ;(
Is it even possible to solve using the usual methods? ;(

Yes, it is :smile:

You have two equations there - for each one it is possible to get them to all be the same number to some power.

For example, for the equation 3^(x+y) = 1/3, the left side is fine, and you can rewrite the right hand side as a power of 3, so both sides will be to the power 3.

The other equation is a bit trickier but the idea is the same.
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, it is :smile:

You have two equations there - for each one it is possible to get them to all be the same number to some power.

For example, for the equation 3^(x+y) = 1/3, the left side is fine, and you can rewrite the right hand side as a power of 3, so both sides will be to the power 3.

The other equation is a bit trickier but the idea is the same.

Thank you so much! I have a quick question, look at this question and state what topic is it that I should revise as this is frequent style of question in my CIE Add.Maths exam

Q) 2sinx(x+π/3)+-1 for 0<x<2π
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you so much! I have a quick question, look at this question and state what topic is it that I should revise as this is frequent style of question in my CIE Add.Maths exam

Q2) tan y-2=cot y for 0degrees<y<180degrees

I know it's add Maths, but that is quite tricky (A2 stuff for Edexcel, though the concept is introduced in AS with easier trig functions).

The topic is trig functions and finding solutions for them (maybe using the graph or CAST diagrams, I don't know what method you're taught).

Your first question isn't equal to anything so I'm not sure how you would solve it (maybe something is missing from what you've typed).

Your second question does, though it involves knowing what cot is and how you could manipulate that to form an equation.

So yes, that's the various trig functions and finding solutions given a range.
Original post by SeanFM
I know it's add Maths, but that is quite tricky (A2 stuff for Edexcel, though the concept is introduced in AS with easier trig functions).

The topic is trig functions and finding solutions for them (maybe using the graph or CAST diagrams, I don't know what method you're taught).

Your first question isn't equal to anything so I'm not sure how you would solve it (maybe something is missing from what you've typed).

Your second question does, though it involves knowing what cot is and how you could manipulate that to form an equation.

So yes, that's the various trig functions and finding solutions given a range.

Thanks, here is the link to the past paper and mark scheme. I'am doing P11 2013, with question 11 being the above question:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzumkDfi9230eEI3U3NNVWx0UGM&usp=drive_web&tid=0BzumkDfi9230cS1pd0xaVWFGN0k
Thanks, here is the link to the past paper and mark scheme. I'am doing P11 2013, with question 11 being the above question:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzumkDfi9230eEI3U3NNVWx0UGM&usp=drive_web&tid=0BzumkDfi9230cS1pd0xaVWFGN0k

Ah, okay.

Q) 2sinx(x+π/3)+-1 for 0<x<2π was actually 2sin(x+pi/3) = -1, so in this case it is equal to something.

Do you need a hint on how to solve those questions or are you happy with them?
Original post by SeanFM
Ah, okay.

Q) 2sinx(x+π/3)+-1 for 0<x<2π was actually 2sin(x+pi/3) = -1, so in this case it is equal to something.

Actually I dont how to answer them. Plus the stress isn't helping! :frown: Maybe a walkthrough will be nice!
Original post by SeanFM
Ah, okay.

Actually I dont how to answer them. Plus the stress isn't helping! Maybe a walkthrough will be nice!
Actually I dont how to answer them. Plus the stress isn't helping! Maybe a walkthrough will be nice!

For the first one you should aim to have sin(...) = ... , use sin^-1 to find the first solution and use whatever method you're familiar with to find the other solutions.

For the second question, calling tany 'x' may help, and see where that gets you.
Original post by SeanFM
For the first one you should aim to have sin(...) = ... , use sin^-1 to find the first solution and use whatever method you're familiar with to find the other solutions.

For the second question, calling tany 'x' may help, and see where that gets you.

That would do, Thanks a bunch! Finally being slowly able to do a past paper without fainting xd :smile:

So I noticed quite a few questions relating to lines and curve intersections. Do you know any website/video which covers this ideallogical concept. The wording of the present question is to find a set of values for a line(linear) which cutes a curve at 2 distinct points!
That would do, Thanks a bunch! Finally being slowly able to do a past paper without fainting xd :smile:

So I noticed quite a few questions relating to lines and curve intersections. Do you know any website/video which covers this ideallogical concept. The wording of the present question is to find a set of values for a line(linear) which cutes a curve at 2 distinct points!

I don't know of any, but I'm sure if you YouTube the topic and specify GCSE something may come up, though I've heard CIE are terrible when it comes to resources.

I suppose with it being add Maths it's not just using two points to find the gradient and so on? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest