The Student Room Group

WJEC Geology GL4 2015

How did everyone find it? The structure was weird and lost a couple marks that i know about wby guys?

Scroll to see replies

Overall not bad, The structure was a bit tricky, took me a bit to figure out it was a reverse fault. The part about the plateau rising an Strontium ratios was a bit confusing. Drawing the dip-slip fault for the map with the right beds took me a while too, and I probably made some mistakes in the part about gravity anomalies, wasn't expecting an entire question based around it. The quarry question seemed relatively simple,
I messed up that exam bad (gonna put it down to having 3 exams today) but I hope I'll do better on GL5
I thought it was ok overall, the structure seems to be the main issue. Question 6 was hardly a section B style but I'm not complaining.
Original post by orangecubes
I thought it was ok overall, the structure seems to be the main issue. Question 6 was hardly a section B style but I'm not complaining.

I am
I made mistakes on the high or low energy environment, i drew the cross section as a normal fault as the theta maximum was vertical downward
Flippin wet and dry magma on two sections!!! That annoyed me, also so many little mark questions kinda threw me off
Original post by adam harperRB
Flippin wet and dry magma on two sections!!! That annoyed me, also so many little mark questions kinda threw me off

At least its not just me :smile:
Also the question on water content of rocks it could be either raises or lowers melting point as water in the rocks would cool the magma therefore lowering the melting point of the rock, or it could raise it as it takes longer for it to cool, but water in terms of 1300 degrees celcius will have little effect

Posted from TSR Mobile
And idk if the weird first section was to make up for the slightly easier first section

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also the question on water content of rocks it could be either raises or lowers melting point as water in the rocks would cool the magma therefore lowering the melting point of the rock, or it could raise it as it takes longer for it to cool, but water in terms of 1300 degrees celcius will have little effect

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I found many of those questions quite confusing, I didn't really know what to put
Reply 11
I thought it was a bad paper:/ a lot of similar questions not a lot of variation in the paper and some weird questions like labelling the quarry at the end?
Original post by Roary13
I thought it was a bad paper:/ a lot of similar questions not a lot of variation in the paper and some weird questions like labelling the quarry at the end?

totally agree with you
Reply 13
Original post by DraftMeteor
totally agree with you

I haven't seen or heard anyone who was happy about the paper so that's not a good sign:/
Original post by Roary13
I haven't seen or heard anyone who was happy about the paper so that's not a good sign:/

Hopefully grade boundaries might be lower though if most people didn't do great...hopefully...
What were you meant to label on it? I put about how landslip could occur and some of the engineering like tree planting was a confusing question

Posted from TSR Mobile
What were you meant to label on it? I put about how landslip could occur and some of the engineering like tree planting was a confusing question

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had no idea so ended up labelling annotating anything I could think of, really didn't like the paper, felt completely different to the practice papers I had revised.
Reply 17
Original post by DraftMeteor
I had no idea so ended up labelling annotating anything I could think of, really didn't like the paper, felt completely different to the practice papers I had revised.

I labelled stuff to do with engineering and like the dip and how that affects it but I really didn't know what it wanted:/ I agree it was completely different to any other paper which obviously it's meant to be but you could not prepare for some of the questions
Side note, how does everyone think they did on GL6? And where and what are people hoping to go+do and uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Has anyone got anything on gl5 theme 3 for the alpine orogeny? Please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest